The Call of the Swamp by Davide Cali

The Call of the Swamp (edition 2017)

by Davide Cali (Author), Marco Somà (Illustrator)

Member:Whisper1
Title:The Call of the Swamp
Authors:Davide Cali (Author)
Other authors:Marco Somà (Illustrator)
Info:Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (2017), 26 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:Read September 2017, Early Review copy

The Call of the Swamp by Davide Calì

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I took me a while to understand this book. A couple finds a "baby" gills like a fish at the swamp and they adopt him. They call him Boris and give him the happiest life possible. But Boris feels the swamp calling for him. He finally follows the scent of the swamp, and comes back to live there for a while, before he starts missing the town and his family.

What is the message? Nature vs. nurture? Respectful love, as Boris' parents feel for him?

I think the answer is what Boris wonders while he rides back to town at the end of the story: "How much like us do those we love have to be? (...) Maybe our family is simply the ones we love? And the ones who love us back?"

I received this copy in an Early Reviewers Giveaway in LibraryThing. ( )
  Sanlema | Jan 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book in exchange for a review.

We received a great oversized hardcover copy of this book. This is an oversized hardbound book for children, 11.5" x 8.25". The cover is easy to hold, but the pages should be turned by older children as they are standard glossy pages.

This is a wonderful book, with the story like a fairy tale in its telling and the fantastic illustrations by Italian Artist Marco Soma bringing you into the tale on each full color page.

The story is about a couple who could have no children. They found a newborn with gills on the edge of the swamp. They took him home and called him Boris. Boris grew up with a loving family, but was always thirsty. One day, he leaves the house and makes his way down to the swamp. There he encounters other creatures like him.

Meanwhile, his parents left notes for him at the swamp which said "If you're happy where you are, then we're happy too".

What happens to Boris?

In my opinion, this is one of the best books I have read about adoption. There is no judgement, just a simple tale about differences making a family, and acknowledging that a child who is adopted can yearn for "home".

Highly recommended. ( )
  Vintage_books_baby | Oct 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a sweet tale of "adoption", and of finding the place you belong, even if it is different than what you expected. I loved that Boris followed "the call of the swamp" when searching for where he belongs,and the messages at the bottom of the swamp were what finally brought him home. This is a unique story about searching for belonging, and the illustrations are a perfect compliment to a pond life science investigation. ( )
  crj226 | Oct 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is perfect. The art is an A+ and the story is one that would resonate with children and adults. It is well written. My favorite part is that the child in the book actually shows thought processes and contemplates his decisions. A great lesson for children and an even better one for adults. WELL DONE ( )
  WhitneyG182 | Oct 3, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Beautiful illustrations and a great story about finding your true self and realizing what makes you feel happy and at home in your surroundings. This is a quick read with a lot of different meanings to be found within it for various situations in life as one grows up and matures.

Advance Copy Review ( )
  midnightbunny | Oct 2, 2017 |

"Boris, a swamp creature who was adopted by human parents, starts to question where he truly belongs"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Davide Calì's book The Call of the Swamp is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,999,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible