When a Wolf Is Hungry by Christine…

When a Wolf Is Hungry

by Christine Naumann-Villemin

Picture book about a wolf who goes to town to eat a rabbit. And then he ends up being friends with everyone in the rabbit's building, including the rabbit, and becoming a vegetarian. Nice illustrations, but kind of weird. Straddling the line between my kind of weird and not my kind of weird, I think. ( )
  lycomayflower | Oct 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Edmond Bigsnout, lone wolf, has decided he wants to eat a city bunny, so there he goes. But it is not easy to reach the bunny with so many nice and polite neighbors who stop him to give him a warm welcome, and to borrow the tools he needs for the hunt and meal preparation. Hungry and tired Edmond finally considers a different option, giving this story the best ending possible.

The first thing I liked about this book were the pictures, simple but with so much body language. The second thing I liked was Edmond himself, trying so hard to be bad, and failing. And then the message, positive and more complex than it seems at first. All the neighbors who stop Edmond are not only protecting Max the bunny, but also themselves (many of them qualify as dinner for a wolf). Edmond was so focused in find a way of finding, cooking and eating the city bunny, that when he finds himself in his own welcome party he is incredibly surprised, even more because the animals asking him for his stuff have made him part of the organization and part of the community. And that is exactly what changes Edmond's mind.

I received this copy in an Early Reviewers Giveaway in LibraryThing. ( )
  Sanlema | Sep 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Edmond Bigsnout, dressed in his fashionable tuxedo, ventures to the city with a knife, thinking he will use it to cut up a sweet city bunny rabbit. The knife is lost in the elevator, only to be picked up by a turkey, back he goes to the forest to get a chainsaw, which he loans to bear, back he goes to the forest....and so the story goes. Finally, armed only with a bottle of mustard, he confronts the bunny......and becomes a vegetarian. Dark in some aspects, but still a fun read. Recommended ages 8 and up. ( )
  RobertaLea | Sep 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am a mom of a 3-year and a 5-year-old and this book is not one that I wish to read to my kids. It's such a dark book. Just the idea of a wolf traveling to the city with a knife is scary. After forgetting his knife, he gets a chainsaw? To kill a sweet little bunny. This book must be geared for much older children. However, how many 10-year-olds read picture books? ( )
  TheOaksPCW | Sep 2, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
One bright, clear Sunday morning, Edmund Bigsnout, love wolf, found himself very, very hungry. Hungry for a city bunny. So, Edmond Bigsnout grabbed a knife from his kitchen, hopped on his bike, and headed for the city in search of the perfect city bunny.
Edmond Bigsnout is the classic, and classy, hungry wolf on the prowl for a big, juicy bunny to have for lunch. As with most stories featuring a wolf on the hunt, Edmond must face many obstacles to obtain his goal.
In the city, Edmond finds the perfect bunny, but he encounters multiple obstacles in the form of the bunny’s neighbors and must start over from the beginning in another attempt.
I found this book to be interesting and my children seem to enjoy it well enough. Originally published in France, therefore I am also assuming it was published in French, it is difficult to tell that it is a translation. Even the words in the illustrations have been converted to English.
The illustrations are quaint and the colors drab, creating the mood of the wolf on the hunt. Small bits of lively color throughout, foreshadow the happy ending to come.
Personally, this will not become a favorite read of mine, simply because, to me, there seems to have been something lost in translation. My children do not feel the same way, and I am sure there are many who agree with them.
I would recommend this book to children who enjoy “The Three Little Pigs” and “Little Red Riding Hood.”
I received my copy of this book from LibraryThing.com for the sole purpose of providing an honest review. I am currently seeking permission from the publishers to use an image of the cover artwork above.
stephanietiner.weebly.com ( )
  Stephergiggles | Sep 2, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Christine Naumann-Villemin's book When a Wolf is Hungry is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible