The Last Mrs. Parrish: A Novel by Liv…

The Last Mrs. Parrish: A Novel

by Liv Constantine

It can be refreshing to note that a rewarding novel does not need to be particularly literary, unpredictable or even plausible to be thoroughly enjoyable. Reading the Last Mrs. Parrish, cowritten by two sisters under the pen name Liv Constantine, is an example of such an experience. The characters are exaggerated archetypes: pure evil and plucky goodness pitted against each other set within the backdrop of luxurious wealth and glamour. The novel is divided into three parts, the first is presented in the third person (omniscient) and focuses on the wicked Amber Patterson, a grifter who feels entitled to the riches and privileges denied her by birth. She readily admits her intentions from the beginning-to lie, seduce and manipulate her way in to infiltrate that world she envies. Amber sees Daphne Parrish as an easy mark; a woman who is pitifully trusting and naïve, desperately trying to find someone to mentor as a replacement for her deceased sister. Amber, a true sociopath, feels no remorse as she plots to replace Daphne as the wife of the superrich Jackson Parrish. The second part switches to the first-person point of view of Daphne, who then relates her side of the story as it unfolds. Typical of stories of this type, there are plenty of twists and surprises for the characters as well as for the reader. The final section reverts to third person again, bringing the two women into clear focus and resolving the drama in a very satisfying way. A healthy suspension of disbelief and a respect for pulpy page-turners would be a good way to approach (and fully appreciate) this guilty pleasure of a novel. ( )
  jnmegan | Jul 31, 2018 |
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

Intense. Gripping. Addictive. Yes, yes, and yes! The Last Mrs. Parrish is one heck of a ride! I was hooked from the beginning and did not want to put it down. This debut psychological thriller moves at a fast pace and is full of juicy drama, and intricate characters. Amber is easy to dislike - she is selfish, narcissistic, cynical and a complete sociopath. Amber is beyond jealous of Daphne's perfect marriage and will do anything to have her life. There are several WTF moments in this book (trust me), but the ending fell a bit flat in my opinion. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy juicy plots, and twists and turns. The impressive team of Constantine sisters did not disappoint. (Liv Constantine is the pen name of bestselling authors and sisters Lynne Constantine and Valerie Constantine). I look forward to future work from this dynamic duo.

Thanks to Edelweiss and HarperLuxe for providing an arc of this book in exchange for my honest review. I also now own the actual book thanks to my daughter. :-)

For more reviews, visit: http://debbiesbooknook.com/ ( )
  debbiesbooknook | Apr 27, 2018 |
So disappointed in this book. S-L-O-W and I didn't care for telling every single little thing Amber was going to do. I believe I would have figured it out myself. I kept thinking that Daphne could not possibly be that gullible and/or clueless. I had high hopes going in to this book, but it did not deliver.
Predictable is the word. ( )
  deb115 | Apr 26, 2018 |
The best mystery this year. Just when you think you know what's going to happen along comes another twist. Excellent! ( )
  myers3 | Mar 26, 2018 |
This book has me torn. I absolutely hated and trudged through the first half of the book. The conniving Amber and weak Daphne was almost more than I could stand. Then the turn; seeing the other side. I was so very thankful. I did enjoy the last part and so I am giving it a higher rating than I would if the book had continued as the beginning. I wanted to put the book aside so many times and because of other reviews continued. There are some triggers in this book that some may have to watch for. Being the ex wife to a sociopath narcissistic man parts were difficult for me. I am thankful for the opportunity to read this book it was a choice I would not have made but was one I received in a book box. ( )
  ShellyM71 | Mar 22, 2018 |

"Some women get everything. Some women get everything they deserve. Amber Patterson is fed up. She's tired of being a nobody: a plain, invisible woman who blends into the background. She deserves more--a life of money and power like the one blond-haired, blue-eyed goddess Daphne Parrish takes for granted. To everyone in the exclusive town of Bishops Harbor, Connecticut, Daphne--a socialite and philanthropist--and her real-estate mogul husband, Jackson, are a couple straight out of a fairy tale. Amber's envy could eat her alive...if she didn't have a plan. Amber uses Daphne's compassion and caring to insinuate herself into the family's life--the first step in a meticulous scheme to undermine her. Before long, Amber is Daphne's closest confidante, traveling to Europe with the Parrishes and their lovely young daughters, and growing closer to Jackson. But a skeleton from her past may undermine everything that Amber has worked towards, and if it is discovered, her well-laid plan may fall to pieces. With shocking turns and dark secrets that will keep you guessing until the very end, The Last Mrs. Parrish is a fresh, juicy, and utterly addictive thriller from a diabolically imaginative talent."--provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,029,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible