dismiss

An American Marriage by Tayari Jones

An American Marriage

by Tayari Jones

Newlyweds Celestial and Roy are the embodiment of both the American Dream and the New South. He is a young executive and she is an artist on the brink of an exciting career. But as they settle into the routine of their life together, they are ripped apart by circumstances neither could have imagined. Roy is arrested and sentenced to twelve years for a crime Celestial knows he didn't commit. Though fiercely independent, Celestial finds herself bereft and unmoored, taking comfort in Andre, her childhood friend, and best man at their wedding. As Roy's time in prison passes, she is unable to hold on to the love that has been her center. After five years, Roy's conviction is suddenly overturned, and he returns to Atlanta ready to resume their life together.… (more)
    The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer (sturlington)
    House of Rougeaux: A Novel by Jenny Jaeckel (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both are stories of family and love involving people of color and their experiences
    The Graybar Hotel: Stories by Curtis Dawkins (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward (BookshelfMonstrosity)

English (180)  Dutch (1)  All languages (181)
Beautifully written and morally complex, I enjoyed both reading this book and thinking about it when I wasn't reading it. I thought the dialogue captured Atlanta well, too. ( )
  nancyjean19 | Jun 3, 2020 |
I think the storyline is a poignant and interesting concept, just a great way to really see the people affected by racism and the racist law system, however I could not see or feel the characters. They felt unknown and unpredictable to me - especially their speech and their behaviour towards one another. ( )
  cphunter | May 7, 2020 |
As this novel started, I couldn't really get into it. But, the more I read, the complexities of the relationships and the reality of marriage began to emerge. Overall, I really liked this book; very insightful and socially relevant on several levels. Highly recommended. ( )
  JosephKing6602 | May 6, 2020 |
an incredibly moving novel and one of the best I've read in the past year. Jones writes men better than most men. ( )
  ThomasPluck | Apr 27, 2020 |
Another really good book. This is about two people: Celestial and Roy - young, black, educated, hip - and how Roy's conviction for a crime he didn't commit affects their marriage. The book's chapters alternate among three voices: Celestial's, Roy's, and Andre's. Andre is Celestial's childhood friend and neighbor. It's a book about many things: what it means to be in a marriage, what family means, how one's background imprints itself on who you are, how incarceration affects the person imprisoned and the people on the outside who are connected to the prisoner. I found it absolutely fascinating, and really want to discuss it with others. ( )
  meredk | Apr 23, 2020 |

Jones, Tayariprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crisden, SeanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davis, EisaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What happens to you doesn't belong to you,
only half concerns you. It's not yours. Not yours only.
              --- Claudia Rankine
For my mother's sister, Alma Faye,
and for Maxine & Marcia, my own
There are two kinds of people in the world, those who leave home, and those who don't.
But home isn't where you land; home is where you launch. You can't pick your home any more than you can choose your family. In poker, you get five cards. Three of them you can swap out, but two are yours to keep: family and native land.
She pulled away and walked to my bedroom and closed herself in with a little click of the knob. I could have pursued her. A paper clip could best the catch, but when a woman shuts you out, picking the lock won't let you back in.
You don't know what you need until somebody gives it to you exactly the way you need it gave.
It matters that I didn't grow up with my father. It's kind if like having one leg that's a half inch shorter than the other. You can walk, but there will be a dip.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tayari Jones's book An American Marriage was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tayari Jones is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,707,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible