dismiss

The Book of Swords (2017)

by Gardner Dozois (Editor)

Other authors: Daniel Abraham (Contributor), Elizabeth Bear (Contributor), CJ Cherryh (Contributor), Kate Elliott (Contributor), Robin Hobb (Contributor)11 more, Cecelia Holland (Contributor), Matthew Hughes (Contributor), Ellen Kushner (Contributor), Rich Larson (Contributor), Ken Liu (Contributor), Scott Lynch (Contributor), George R. R. Martin (Contributor), Garth Nix (Contributor), KJ Parker (Contributor), Lavie Tidhar (Contributor), Walter Jon Williams (Contributor)

Series: The Book of Swords (parts I & II)

An anthology of original fantasy tales by some of today's leading genre masters includes contributions by George R. R. Martin, Scott Lynch, Garth Nix, Cecelia Holland, and Elizabeth Bear.

After listening to more then 50% of this book, I decided it was time to just drop it. I only liked one of the 14 stories I did listen to , I did skip a few of them within those 14 but I just can't do it anymore. These are long, drawn out and boring stories. None of them were keeping my attention, I was falling asleep through them, it just wasn't worth my time and effort. The one story I did like was "Her Father's Sword" by Robin Hood, it was interesting and appealing, and kept my attention. I may be missing out on the rest of the stories, but I honestly don't know and honestly don't care. Its not worth the struggle to keep trying to listen to this ( )
  SweetKokoro | Jul 31, 2020 |
Some good stories here, but don't be fooled by the title - the stories for the most part don't have anything to do with swords. I fell for the trap and assumed this would be somehow related to swords, combat, something like that. This is just another vehicle for fantasy writers to write short stories, which may or may not have swords in them. Many of them are about rogues, not swordsmen. It would probably also help if I was more familiar with the worlds of some of the authors, so if you are fans of some of these writer's longer works, the stories may appeal to you more. ( )
  Karlstar | Dec 1, 2018 |
Some of the stories were well written, interesting and somewhat original, in fact most.
I liked CJ Cherryh's and K.J. Parker's particularly.
GRRM called it in. Giving yet another Westros history lesson, his carelessness is indicated with lots of leals and the use of prevaricate when he means indecisive delaying. ( )
  quondame | Dec 13, 2017 |
I love Gardner Dozois’s work as an editor; I may not always like every story in every anthology he edits, but I can always be confident that each story will be of very high quality. His latest, "The Book of Swords," is a collection of short stories and novellas concerning, well, swords, generally in the realm of speculative fiction. As with any anthology, my favourites may not be yours, but I’ll mention the two I most enjoyed: “The Smoke of Gold is Glory,” by Scott Lynch, and “The Sons of the Dragon,” by George R.R. Martin (yes, a new Game of Thrones tale) - both of which just happen to feature dragons as well as swords. I also quie adored “‘I Am A Handsome Man,’ Said Apollo Crow,” by Kate Elliot; “The Sword of Destiny,” by Matthew Hughes, and “The Sword Tyraste,” by Cecelia Holland, but there is also fine work by Lavie Tidhar, Rich Larson, Elizabeth Bear, Garth Nix, Ellen Kushner, C.J. Cherryh, K.J. Parker, Robin Hobb, Walter Jon Williams, Daniel Abraham and Ken Liu. Highly recommended! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Nov 14, 2017 |
I found this book to be rather disappointing. It was advertised as an anthology of Sword & Sorcery stories, but it really isn't. By my definition at least, Sword & Sorcery stories are usually a fast paced and action oriented with an almost nihilistic feel. Their heroes are usually self centered, morally ambiguous people with goals along the lines of getting treasure, conquering a kingdom, or killing an enemy. The only story along those lines is "Waterfalling" by Lavie Tidhar.

Despite the fact that the genre is mislabeled, the stories themselves are pretty goo, with one glaring exception—George R. R. Martin's "The Sons of the Dragon.," which is a shame since A Song of Ice and Fire is so popular that a lot of people will pick up the anthology just for this "story" and be disappointed. I put "story" in quotation marks because it reads more like an excerpt from a history textbook on the kingdom of Westeros than an actual story.

If you're considering buying this because you love Sword & Sorcery of for GRRM's story give it a pass. Otherwise it is still an enjoyable fantasy anthology. ( )
  yoyogod | Oct 25, 2017 |

Nix, GarthContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, KJContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tidhar, LavieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, Walter JonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,943,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible