Daring Democracy: Igniting Power, Meaning,…

by Frances Moore Lappé (Author), Adam Eichen (Author)

Member:uufnn
Title:Daring Democracy: Igniting Power, Meaning, and Connection for the America We Want
Authors:Frances Moore Lappé (Author)
Other authors:Adam Eichen (Author)
Info:Beacon Press (2017), 176 pages
Tags:Democracy Movement, transparency, Donald Trump, wealthy families, wealthy individuals, thought barriers

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Written after the election of Donald Trump, this is a call to action. While not yet a classic like Rules for Radicals by Alinsky it belongs on shelf with it. Gentler in it's approach, the reader is lead to take action to protect our Democracy and your way of life. The authors have had life experiences that make this book a how to as well as a thought provoking read. Recommended for 9-12 as well as adults. ( )
  oldbookswine | Apr 10, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Frances Moore Lappé's and Adam Eichen's Daring Democracy is a wonderful read, especially for folks who are seriously concerned about the future of the United States and its democracy. Carol Wyndham is quoted in the book: "If you want to live in a democracy, you have to take responsibility for it." This book is a useful tool to help that happen. Lappé's and Eichen's writing is engaging and encouraging, although the section of the book describing where the U.S. is and how it got there is dark and a little frightening. Which is where the U.S. is at--no way for it not to be dark and frightening. But there are things we can do to go forward and Lappé and Eichen spell many of those things out. If you're looking for hope, give this book a look. ( )
  MFenn | Dec 28, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Daring Democracy: Igniting Power, Meaning, and Connection for the America We Want by Frances Moore Lappé is a must read for anyone with a passing interest in politics on either side of the aisle. Especially in todays challenging political climate, with Donald Trump as president, this book outlines how an individual can become more active in politics and move towards a better tomorrow. ( )
  npicholas | Nov 28, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Daring Democracy is that rare book that should be read by anyone along the political spectrum as long as that reader does indeed desire to live in a democracy. Those who, for whatever reason, prefer some other form of governance will find nothing with which to attack a genuine democracy. The idea of a democracy is not, and should not be perceived as, a partisan issue. In the current atmosphere it is because the right has chosen to be (or been manipulated into being) anti-democracy and any attempt for the ideal of one person one vote somehow appears liberal. That is simply how the powers behind the anti-democracy movement have framed the dialogue and does not reflect how democracy can and should work.

This book provides background and history of the anti-democracy movement, what can be done to work toward achieving the democratic government we once thought we had or was working toward perfecting. The information is well documented and almost everything is public record. This is not simply a book with a lot of opinion and little to no substance.

This is a short but dense book, a quick read but one that rewards a second slower read. The resources cited are wonderful and the suggestions for action are workable and within reach, at least for the time being. But action must be taken before the few remaining pillars of our democratic government are destroyed by the anti-democracy and un-American people currently running the country (into the ground).

Highly recommended across political opinions as long as the reader is at least open to the idea of the United States returning to being a democracy.

Reviewed from a copy made available through Goodreads' First Reads. ( )
  pomo58 | Oct 28, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First, I am a registered Republican. Second, I watched Donald Trump become president with much apprehension. Unfortunately, I had read a great deal about his career, watched him faithfully on his reality show (a fact I am not proud of) and saw how he dealt with others. As a news junkie, I have watched with endless fascination mixed with horror as Trump has governed. Seeing what his true objectives are and feeling helpless to change things, I picked up this book. This is a book of hope, a book that clearly shows how we can become active to change things for the better and save our democracy. This is a book for anyone who cares about our country and our future. It is time we banded together and demand our basic rights - the right to vote, the right to have fair elections without big money controlling them, the right to basic health care, the right to be able to earn a fair salary, etc. It is time to take our country back from the top one percent and this book shows us how we can do that! Thank you! ( )
  Susan.Macura | Oct 21, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Frances Moore Lappé's book Daring Democracy: Igniting Power, Meaning, and Connection for the America We Want is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible