A Bedtime Yarn by Nicola Winstanley

A Bedtime Yarn

by Nicola Winstanley

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Good but not great. My five- and three-year-olds enjoyed the illustrations and we had a nice discussion about the colors of yarn held by the young bear in the story, but the "big message" of the book was beyond them.

It wasn't clear in the beginning of the book that Frankie was afraid of going to sleep. Then, we find out that the balls of yarn were for a blanket but the blanket doesn't have a very interesting or exciting design, so the ending was disappointing. ( )
  TheOaksPCW | Feb 7, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm always looking for interesting picture books, so was pleased at the opportunity to acquire a copy of this. It's elegant enough and the pictures are evocative. The "yarn" is both literal and figurative, tying the pages of the book together, knitting , though it could use a stonger story line.
  kimsbooks | Nov 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
We love this book! It's a sweet and comforting bedtime story. The first time we read it, my son said he was excited to have his own dreams. We read this book all the time. I would recommend it to anyone. ( )
  Bagginski | Nov 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A sweet story about a young bear who wanted to remain connected to his mother after bedtime. He held the yarn while she knitted a blanket for him from the next room over. This way, he felt as if a part of her were still with him even when he couldn't see her. When the knitting was done and he found out she had made the blanket for him he now had a soft blanket full of his mother's love to keep with him always. It was a very sweet story that could become a family bedtime favorite. ( )
  CZimmerman | Oct 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A Bedtime Yarn is a delightful bedtime tale of comfort and a mother’s ingenuity. When young Frankie has trouble falling asleep at night, his mother devises a creative solution to help him relax and drift peacefully into dreamland. Each night Mama Bear gives Frankie her ball of wool to hold as he snuggles in his bed and she sits by the fire to knit. The click, click of her knitting needles lull him to sleep as the balls of wool slowly unravel in his paws. Each yarn color holds its own story and Frankie dreams sweet dreams of foamy green seas, ice-cold balls of snow, yellow dandelions, and marmalade kittens as Mama softly knits into the night. When Frankie announces one day that he’s a big boy now and no longer afraid of the dark, Mama Bear has one last sweet surprise in store for her little one.
Calming, soft illustrations and soothing colors throughout combine to make this a wonderful story that warms the heart and reminds us of the power of a mother’s love for her child. A Bedtime Yarn is sure to become a bedtime favorite with little bears everywhere and may even have some Mamas picking up the art of knitting to create sweet surprises for their own little bears! ( )
  RavenShoe | Oct 23, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Nicola Winstanley's book A Bedtime Yarn is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,421,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible