Ultra Maniac, Vol. 5 by Wataru Yoshizumi

Ultra Maniac, Vol. 5

by Wataru Yoshizumi

When Ayu does a favor for Nina, Nina decides to repay her by telling her her secret: she's really a witch from another world called Magic Kingdom. She wants to help Ayu out by doing some spells for her, but unfortunately the reason she's at Ayu's school is because she was flunking out of her magic school, so nothing she does quite goes as planned.

I wasn't that thrilled with the plot of this because I'm not that big a fan of magical stories, but the magic is really in the background here. Mostly this is the story of Ayu and Nina's friendship and their respective romances, and by the end I found I was enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. ( )
  kyuuketsukirui | Jul 4, 2010 |
CAUTION: PARAGRAPHS BELOW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Ultra Maniac doesn't really end with a bang. Everyone freaks out because Nina goes back to the Magic World...and I'm like, seriously? You didn't know that was coming? I feel like I'm on crazy pills or something! She's like an exchange student, of course she's going back eventually.

Anyway. So it turns out Nina's actually a very talented witch, and can only get special training at an exclusive magic school, so she goes home and everyone is sad, but she can come back and visit on weekends so really, it's not a big deal.

Final chapter is set three years in the future, and has Nina visiting after she graduates from the magic school. Unfortunately, her personality's completely different, making it hard for her to relate to her old friends. Is "their" Nina gone?
(Spoiler: No, one of her classmates is impersonating Nina, who remains her sweet, wonderful self.)

I liked this series; it was very fun. Not as good as Marmalade Boy, perhaps, but entertaining and silly in its own way. I wish some of Yoshizumi's other titles would be published in the US - I've always wanted to read Mint na Bokura. ( )
  makaiju | Jul 3, 2010 |

For as long as she can remember, Nina has wanted to attend the most prestigious learning institute in the Magic Kingdom. And now, finally, she getting her wish. But going awat to school means leaving all her new friends behind. Poor Nina! What will she do? Will she return to the Magic Kingdom or will she stay in Japan with her best friend, Ayu and Hiroki, the boy who love her?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,318,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible