Need to Know by Karen Cleveland

Need to Know

by Karen Cleveland

195537,190 (4.29)3

Vivian is a CIA analyst working the Russia connection. In searching a computer of a known Russian spy, she comes across five pictures of sleeper agents in the United States. The third one is her husband Matt. This sets off a series of a events that keep the reader on the edge of his or her seat. ( )
  librarian515 | Oct 10, 2017 |
What does a CIA analyst, who is also a wife and mother, do when she learns that everything she trusts might be a lie? This espionage thriller is quite the accomplishment as debut. It's an obsessive read but for me the ending was a bit "out there". The epilogue does open the door for a sequel and I would love to read more from this author. ( )
  ewhatley | Oct 4, 2017 |
I am so glad that I was given the opportunity to read an advance copy of Need to Know. I blasted through the book in 24 hours; I couldn’t put it down. It was the most compelling book I’ve read recently. What differentiates this spy novel from others is that there were fascinating and scary ethical issues, and it was hard to imagine a good solution for the scenario. I enjoyed the way the story unfolded and all the twists and turns. I look forward to reading future books by Karen Cleveland and highly recommend this one. ( )
  Loried | Sep 23, 2017 |
While this book had a bit of a slow buildup, when it finally got going, it was a slalom down to the finish! You read and decide who is telling the truth and who is lying, then you read a bit further and all of that changes. Good cat-and-mouse-type plot. ( )
  barb_heck | Sep 20, 2017 |
NEED TO KNOW
KAREN CLEVELAND

MY RATING ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
PUBLISHER Ballantine Books
PUBLISHED January 23, 2018

A heart-wrenching counterintelligence thriller that is impossible to put down.

SUMMARY
Vivian Miller is a CIA counterintelligence analyst trying to identify Russian sleeper cells and their handlers. She's getting close. And then she find something total unexpected when hacking into a suspect’s computer. A picture of her husband labeled as “friend”. Viv and Matt been married ten fabulous years and have four young children. She's beside herself. She confronts Matt with the accusation and he volunteers he's been a deep cover operative for the Russians for 22 years. She's devastated. Their entire marriage has been a sham from the beginning. But now she has to decide what to do. Should she turn him him? Can she turn him in? What will it do to the kids? Can she fix this. Then things get even worse.

REVIEW
NEED TO KNOW captured my attention immediately. I was so caught up in this spy story I forgot it was just a story. It could have been real. It could be today. This is a fabulous debut novel by KAREN CLEVELAND, who worked as a CIA analyst for eight years. She knows of what she writes!

I was so emotional invested in the book. Where do you turn when the person you trusted the most has been lying to you for years? Cleveland’s writing was great. The plot is so emotionally charged it just captivated me. Particularly in today' political environment. At times the story was so intense I had to put it down, but I still read it all in one day, which is unusual for me. It was a mesmerizing thriller. The ending was simply brilliant, it blew me away. Can't stop thinking about it.

This should be one of the first books you read in 2018, because the movie rights have already been sold and Charlize Theron is playing Vivian. Can't wait. Thanks to Netgalley, Ballantine Books and Karen Cleveland for an advanced reading copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LisaSHarvey | Sep 10, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,642,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible