The Blue Bird by Maurice Maeterlinck

The Blue Bird

by Maurice Maeterlinck

English (3)  French (1)  All languages (4)
This delightful book is the story of a woodcutter and his children, who on Christmas Eve dream that a fairy comes to them and bids them to go on a dreamquest for the blue bird of happiness. Their unusual and entertaining adventures form the major part of this unique work.
1 vote TrysB | Jun 14, 2012 |
My other reading - in French - has been Maeterlinck's 'Oiseau Bleu'; of course I have read it before in English and seen it on the stage, as you know, but I am absolutely delighted to read it again...I don't know why you have never read this glorious book before, but please do as I suggest & (though it is always dangerous, as we know, to recommend) I think you will have some real joy out of it. The scenes in the Temple of Night and in the Kingdom of the Future are exactly in our line.
- from a 25 October 1916 letter to Arthur Greeves, in The collected letters of C.S. Lewis, volume I ( )
  C.S._Lewis | Mar 29, 2009 |
The magic and enchantment of Maeterlinck's famous play have been adapted by Brian Wildsmith in this illustrated tale of a little girl whose illness can only be cured by a magical blue bird. To find the bird, Mytyl and Tyltyl must journey through the Land of Memory to the Palace of Night.
  antimuzak | May 26, 2007 |

Maurice Maeterlinckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Teixeira de Mattos, AlexanderTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tyltyl: Mytyl?

Mytyl: Tyltyl?
Tyltyl: Are you asleep?
Mytyl: Are you?...
Tyltyl: No: how can I be asleep when I'm talking to you?

This book is in public domain in the USA and the e-book is available free online.

GUTENBERG.org is the origin for most of the human and well-edited FREE kindle editions online in various languages. Scam sites will ask for money for the hard work and titles which Gutenberg volunteers provide free. ARCHIVE.org provides a huge selection of FREE e-pub & PDF public domain titles in various languages also. (easily readable with the Free CALIBRE-ebook.com app]. Project Gutenberg is a great organization. They will never ask you for money before allowing you to download their books (though voluntary donations are welcome).

Only SCAM SITES & CON ARTISTS will ask for money for the hard work and e-book titles which the Gutenberg volunteers provide free. Their latest bs? "You're paying for the ability to wi-fi your download." Really? So these con artists who steal Gutenberg's hard work then re-post what should be FREE e-books for sale .... rationalize it because they provide wi-fi downloads? Now that is a load of nonsense. Do you think these scammers are donating all the money back to the non-profit Gutenberg? I don't think so. Please don't patronize e-thieves or con artists. And don't let them gull you. How hard is it to plug your e-reader into your computer and do a manual download? Pretty damn easy. If you don't know how to do this, ask one of your grandkids to show you how.

There are lots of free pre-1923 public domain kindle books on Amazon.com. [Type in 'free' and 'public domain' in the search bar.] Some current authors make their copyrighted e-books available free on Amazon and other sites also. [I would assume as a form of advertising and/or as a loss leader for a book series. Make sure to review their books as a thank you.]

ManyBooks.net offers Gutenberg's books in a different formatting. If the book you downloaded from them doesn't work for you, maybe you can get a different copy of the same book there.

FeedBooks.com/publicdomain offers Gutenberg's books in a different formatting. It also offers ebooks for sale. If the book you downloaded from Gutenberg doesn't work for you, maybe you can get a different copy of the same book there.

Using art based on designs for the film, The Blue Bird, the author recounts his version of two children's search for the bluebird of happiness. Suggested level: primary.

6 wanted3 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,866,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible