The Blue Bird by Maurice Maeterlinck

The Blue Bird

by Maurice Maeterlinck

English (3)  French (1)  All languages (4)
This delightful book is the story of a woodcutter and his children, who on Christmas Eve dream that a fairy comes to them and bids them to go on a dreamquest for the blue bird of happiness. Their unusual and entertaining adventures form the major part of this unique work.
  TrysB | Jun 14, 2012 |
My other reading - in French - has been Maeterlinck's 'Oiseau Bleu'; of course I have read it before in English and seen it on the stage, as you know, but I am absolutely delighted to read it again...I don't know why you have never read this glorious book before, but please do as I suggest & (though it is always dangerous, as we know, to recommend) I think you will have some real joy out of it. The scenes in the Temple of Night and in the Kingdom of the Future are exactly in our line.
- from a 25 October 1916 letter to Arthur Greeves, in The collected letters of C.S. Lewis, volume I ( )
  C.S._Lewis | Mar 29, 2009 |
The magic and enchantment of Maeterlinck's famous play have been adapted by Brian Wildsmith in this illustrated tale of a little girl whose illness can only be cured by a magical blue bird. To find the bird, Mytyl and Tyltyl must journey through the Land of Memory to the Palace of Night.
  antimuzak | May 26, 2007 |

Maurice Maeterlinckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Teixeira de Mattos, AlexanderTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tyltyl: Mytyl?

Mytyl: Tyltyl?
Tyltyl: Are you asleep?
Mytyl: Are you?...
Tyltyl: No: how can I be asleep when I'm talking to you?

Using art based on designs for the film, The Blue Bird, the author recounts his version of two children's search for the bluebird of happiness. Suggested level: primary.

5 wanted3 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible