Youth by Joseph Conrad

Youth (original 1902; edition 2007)

by Joseph Conrad

Member:wtoomey
Title:Youth
Authors:Joseph Conrad
Info:Book Jungle (2007), Paperback, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:English Literature, short stories, classic novel, youth, black comedy

Youth by Joseph Conrad (1902)

The Shadow-Line by Joseph Conrad (panbiot)
    The Bird of Dawning by John Masefield (ari.joki)
    ari.joki: In Masefield's "Bird of Dawning" and Conrad's "Youth" we find a young naval officer with infinite enthusiasm for seafaring and deep love of the seas. This enthusiasm and love persist even in the face of banalities of life and disastrous events.

English (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (3)
The way Conrad reflects a raging inferno off a still ocean, the impatient youth off tired old age, the contrasts all... prepare the reader to wonderfully appreciate the serenity of tropical nature and the imagery that glides along like the scented breeze off a luscious island.
  ari.joki | Oct 5, 2010 |
A seafaring yarn told by Marlow to his drinking companions -- the same basic form as (the longer and later) "Heart of Darkness."
  grunin | Mar 21, 2006 |
This could have occurred nowhere but in England, where men and sea interpenetrate, so to speak—the sea entering into the life of most men, and the men knowing something or everything about the sea, in the way of amusement, of travel, or of bread-winning.
O youth! The strength of it, the faith of it, the imagination of it! To me she was not an old rattle-trap carting about the world a lot of coal for a freight--to me she was the endeavor, the test, the trial of life. I think of her with pleasure, with affection, with regret-- as you would think of someone dead you have loved. I shall never forget her. . . . Pass the bottle.
This work contains the single story Youth. Some editions titled simply Youth also contain Heart of Darkness or another story as well, and should be separated out.

Quality Classics

We specialize in creating hard to find, high quality classic books optimized for the Kindle.

We always have the highest quality books. Sick of spelling errors, weird characters, or a lack of pictures in illustrated books? Well we know how you feel. All of our books are formatted and reviewed by an actual human for the Kindle, and always 99 cents.

To find more of our books search "Quality Classics" in Amazon.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:02 -0400)

'Then, on a fine moonlight night, all the rats left the ship.' Five men sit around a mahogany table, drinking claret. As the wine loosens their tongues, one tells a story from his youth, recounting the strange voyage of the doomed ship Judea. Inspired by Conrad's own experiences at sea, Youth is a haunting tale about ill omens, the passing of time and the making of a man.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,468,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible