The Reindeer People by Megan Lindholm

The Reindeer People

by Megan Lindholm

Series: Reindeer People (book 1)

English (6)  French (2)  English (8)
It's obvious that this book was written by the author of Assassin's Apprentice; the two novels share similar styles and themes. But this book isn't nearly as good. It was a pleasant enough diversion for a couple of days, but I doubt I'll pick up the sequel. Still, if you love the setting of The Clan of the Cave Bear, you might like this one. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I like Robin Hobb's books a lot, so when I found out she has also published a bunch under 'Megan Lindholm' of course I had to go get them! These were the first I read under this name. It's really one story, that was originally divided in two by the publisher, and later pout out as an omnibus called "The Saga of the Reindeer People."
I'm not sure why she uses two different names. The style of writing was recognizably the same, although this story is somewhat darker than many of her epic 'Robin Hobb' fantasies.
The author's note (you can read it here: http://www.trussel.com/prehist/lindholm.htm) said that she originally conceived this story as a fantasy, but was encouraged to write it as historical fiction by the publisher. It's set in Bronze Age Lapland (Scandinavia), but it still has the feel of fantasy, and some essential-to-the-plot fantastic/spiritual elements.
With its scope and early setting, it reminded me at times of Clan of the Cave Bear.
It tells the story of a single mother struggling to raise her mentally disabled young son alone, in a society which is intensely dependent on social, tribal life.
She has survived and been taken in by different groups because of her skill with herbs, but when she encounters a shaman who tries to take emotional control of her son and claim her as his woman, she flees - but has the luck to fall in with another group - one that treats women more fairly, is somewhat wealthier - and includes a man she may actually like.
But not all is perfect - the shaman may be in pursuit, and a series of crimes may be poisoning this tribe from the inside. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
...I remember liking these books a lot when I first read them in Dutch and reading the English original hasn't changed my opinion that much. What I don't remember noticing is the abrupt ending of this novel. I might very well have read them back to back the first time around. When Lindholm wrote these books she already had a few books under her belt and they are much more confident than the first Ki and Vandien stories. Apart from the slightly awkward split, these two novels are among the better ones she wrote as Megan Lindholm. It is of course not the Robin Hobb style, epic fantasy many readers are used to but if you care to step outside that genre, Lindholm has a few very interesting titles to offer. My personal favourite remains Wizard of the Pigeons but these two are not that far behind.

Full Random Comments review ( )
  Valashain | Mar 12, 2014 |
Love this when I was a teenager ( )
  penny_lane | Jan 22, 2014 |
I remember basically nothing about this book. I don't think I thought it was anywhere near the level of Lindholm's later writing as Robin Hobb, or as easy to read and enjoyable as the Ki and Vandien quartet. Still, I read it all and eagerly read the sequel, so there's good stuff there. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Megan Lindholmprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ssossé, MaryvonneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Ga zo diep als je kunt,' zei hij tegen de jongen.

Before the dawn of history

Tilu was a healer, steeped in mystery and magic. Sworn to protect her tribe. But before she would let her only child be taken from her, she was prepared to use her powers in any way she had to...

FANTASY. The Reindeer People is the first in a series of reissues of Megan Lindholm's (Robin Hobb) classic backlist titles. It is set in the harsh wilderness of a prehistoric North America, and tells the story of a tribe of nomads and hunters as they try to survive, battling against enemy tribes, marauding packs of wolves and the very land itself. Living on the outskirts of the tribe Tillu was happy spending her time tending her strange, slow dreamy child Kerlew and comunning with the spirits to heal the sick and bring blessing on new births. However Carp, the Shaman, an ugly wizened old man whose magic smelled foul to Tillu desired both mother and child. Tillu knew Carp's magic would steal her son and her soul. Death waited in the snows of the Tundra, but Tillu knew which she would prefer Gritty and realistic, it's reminiscent of Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear but written in the compelling style of the author who produced the bestselling Assassin's Apprentice.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,640,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible