The Reindeer People by Megan Lindholm

The Reindeer People (edition 2001)

by Megan Lindholm

Member:MayberryLady
Title:The Reindeer People
Authors:Megan Lindholm
Info:Voyager (2001), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 336 pages

The Reindeer People by Robin Hobb

English (4)  French (2)  All languages (6)
...I remember liking these books a lot when I first read them in Dutch and reading the English original hasn't changed my opinion that much. What I don't remember noticing is the abrupt ending of this novel. I might very well have read them back to back the first time around. When Lindholm wrote these books she already had a few books under her belt and they are much more confident than the first Ki and Vandien stories. Apart from the slightly awkward split, these two novels are among the better ones she wrote as Megan Lindholm. It is of course not the Robin Hobb style, epic fantasy many readers are used to but if you care to step outside that genre, Lindholm has a few very interesting titles to offer. My personal favourite remains Wizard of the Pigeons but these two are not that far behind.

Full Random Comments review ( )
  Valashain | Mar 12, 2014 |
Love this when I was a teenager ( )
  penny_lane | Jan 22, 2014 |
I remember basically nothing about this book. I don't think I thought it was anywhere near the level of Lindholm's later writing as Robin Hobb, or as easy to read and enjoyable as the Ki and Vandien quartet. Still, I read it all and eagerly read the sequel, so there's good stuff there. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Tales of stone and bronze age folk (is this a genre with a name, like 'Cave Bear fiction'?) is not usually my thing, but I am a Robin Hobb fan and Megan Lindholm is another of her pen names, so I am determined to read whatever I can get my hands on. It's good anyway, to read outside your preference zone once in a while. It's a solidly crafted story, strong characters who do, in the end, matter. I'm reading Arctic Dreams at the moment, so I am more sensitive to this kind of close observation than I might usually be. The cavalcade of reindeer crunched their slow way down the hillside. Their toe bones clicked as their wide cloven hooves spread their weight out on the frozen crust of the snow. Their heads bobbed, their white tails flicked in an endless pattern too complex to be deciphered." Suberb! Another reader who loves this stuff would likely give it a higher rating because the details in it do bring the time and place into strong relief - bravo to Lindholm/Hobbs for doing her homework so carefully. Alas, I was intermittently engaged, so must rate as I must. It has a second part and I am plunging right into it, so that says something. ***3/4 ( )
  sibyx | Jan 12, 2013 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ssossé, MaryvonneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Ga zo diep als je kunt,' zei hij tegen de jongen.

Before the dawn of history

Tilu was a healer, steeped in mystery and magic. Sworn to protect her tribe. But before she would let her only child be taken from her, she was prepared to use her powers in any way she had to...

FANTASY. The Reindeer People is the first in a series of reissues of Megan Lindholm's (Robin Hobb) classic backlist titles. It is set in the harsh wilderness of a prehistoric North America, and tells the story of a tribe of nomads and hunters as they try to survive, battling against enemy tribes, marauding packs of wolves and the very land itself. Living on the outskirts of the tribe Tillu was happy spending her time tending her strange, slow dreamy child Kerlew and comunning with the spirits to heal the sick and bring blessing on new births. However Carp, the Shaman, an ugly wizened old man whose magic smelled foul to Tillu desired both mother and child. Tillu knew Carp's magic would steal her son and her soul. Death waited in the snows of the Tundra, but Tillu knew which she would prefer Gritty and realistic, it's reminiscent of Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear but written in the compelling style of the author who produced the bestselling Assassin's Apprentice.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,960,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible