The Hazel Wood: A Novel by Melissa Albert

The Hazel Wood: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Melissa Albert (Author)

Member:nwessler
Title:The Hazel Wood: A Novel
Authors:Melissa Albert (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2018), 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:arc, ya

The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert

Uprooted by Naomi Novik (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Two stories inspired by fairy tales (in different ways), with fierce female leads and satisfyingly complex takes on fairy tale tropes.

This book is for a specific type of reader.
Me.
I enjoyed the voice and the prose. It reminds me a bit of Holly Black or Maggie Stiefvater. The Harry Potter and other modern-day references were a bonus and charmed me all while searching for a reclusive grandmother and a fairy tale land made up of dark forests and refugees.

You can read my full review on my blog: https://www.nicoleolea.com/the-hazel-wood-a-novel-by-melissa-albert-review/ ( )
  nicoleolea | Jun 12, 2019 |
Incredible. All-consuming. Never want to put it down. Breathtaking. Speechless. 100% amazing. ( )
  Michelle_Boyea | Jun 7, 2019 |
The Hazel Wood is about a girl named Alice.
Alice has moved all her life and thinks that bad luck follows her and her mother, Ella everywhere they go.
Until, her mother marries some rich guy from New York, Harrold and that comes with her dramatic step sister, Audrey. One day, she comes home from school after waiting for Audrey to come to the bus with her in the morning and a deathly stench and an ajar door greets her. She frantically runs through her house until she goes to her friends house, Finch, Elery Finch. Elery sort of has a thing for Alice but she doesn't know it yet. She finds a feather, a bone and a comb. Little does she know these will help her later on. She is then put in a wild goose chase to find the Hazel Wood, a twisted fairy tale created by her deceased grandmother, Alethea Proserpine. Will she survive to find the truth about her family's bad luck?

This book was the most twisted thing I have ever read. It was amazing and spellbinding. Alice turns out to be a fairy tale character of her grandmothers creation. Alice-three-times. She discovers her hidden feelings for Finch as the adventure progresses. When Finch is killed in front of her, her world ends. As she fights her way through the Hazelwood she discovers some pretty cool stuff about herself. At the end of the book, Finch shows up alive and well. Alice is taken back from the Hazelwood after being missing for 2 years. Her new mission is to find Fich and find her way back into the Hazelwood to keep him safe. ( )
  TressaJ.B4 | May 30, 2019 |
This first person past tense #YAlit coming of age novel was well written and excellent reading both for what it said, and for what it left unsaid, but well understood. I especially liked the ending, which was certainly not your standard fairy tale happily ever after ending, but was a not only hopeful ending, but heartening as well. The line about a pact with a sociopath was fantastic, and thought-provoking, in a novel that delivered much to think about, and a satisfying ending that did not involve death. Very good twists, very good story and very good reading. The language was rich and literary, to the point that I thought this was a very good work of literary fiction that delivered story and advice to a Young Adult readership that is worth pondering, even at the age of 15 or 50. ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
“Life never turns out how you imagine it will when you’re young. Everything is smaller than you think, or too big. It all smells a little funny and fits like somebody else’s shirt.”

Once upon a time, as all stories start, a girl named Alice Proserpine got lost in a fairy tale. Her grandmother, whom she’s never met, is legendary for her one-hit-wonder book of fairy stories, Tales from the Hinterland. Despite her grandmother’s fame status, Alice and her mother have spent their lives running from bad luck. When Alice’s mother goes missing, though, she faces her fate head-on. Everything, it seems, comes back to her grandmother and the Hazel Wood. With the help of her only friend, Ellery Finch, Alice goes on a search to find the Hazel Wood and her mother; only, she ends up finding more than she bargained for.

Melissa Albert’s The Hazel Wood smashes together a fantasy world of dark fairytale characters with the real world. While an engaging premise, the novel does a poor job of properly acclimating the reader to the world of the Hinterland and its occupants. Because of this, the flow of the story ends up feeling disjointed. The writing style doesn’t help much with this, either. The writing seems to jump back and forth from sounding like a teenager to more sophisticated narration. And the figurative language is nothing short of bizarre. At one point, Alice mentions, "My mouth tasted like dead coffee." Really? I would love an explanation of how dead coffee is supposed to taste. There's another taste reference to" bitter helicopter seeds." Who is eating helicopter seeds to determine the level of bitterness? Lastly, the attempted love-hate relationship between characters Alice and Finch feels forced and unnatural. Unfortunately, this world of fairytales fails in its quest to convince readers that magical worlds really do exist. ( )
  nframke | Apr 30, 2019 |
I went out to the hazel wood because fire was in my head. --W.B. Yeats "The Song of Wandering Aengus"
With love and gratitude to my parents, who never took a book out of my hands.
Althea Prosperpine is raising her daughter on fairy tales.

Seventeen-year-old Alice and her mother have spent most of Alice's life on the road, always a step ahead of the uncanny bad luck biting at their heels. But when Alice's grandmother, the reclusive author of a cult-classic book of pitch-dark fairy tales, dies alone on her estate, the Hazel Wood, Alice learns how bad her luck can really get.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,587,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible