Flat Broke with Two Goats: A Memoir of…

Flat Broke with Two Goats: A Memoir of Appalachia

by Jennifer McGaha

Memoir ( )
  l-mo | Feb 13, 2019 |
Much of this memoir was interesting - the author's ability to take a hard look at her own faults and missteps is refreshing. But narrative feels like it ends in midstride. There is a conflict - the financial cliff they are hanging off - and there is no resolution ... just a series of things they do while hanging out under the mythical sword of justice. A stronger narrative arc would have made this more than just a bunch of interesting episodes. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jan 13, 2019 |
This book was funny and insightful. It is not the most amazing story, but it is told with wit and honesty. I found Jennifer McGaha to be relatable and a sympathetic character. The anecdotes are hilariously told and the devastations are told with great emotion. For anyone who enjoys memoirs, this one is pretty good. I am not a huge memoir person, so I may be rating this book a little lower than others might. ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |
Not the most exciting memoir I've ever read, but I did learn one hell of a lot about raising goats. ( )
  SamSattler | Sep 20, 2018 |
I read this when offered through the library read program. I read many bad reviews and several did not finish notes. I almost quit reading because of that. I actually really ended up enjoying this book. The story didn’t always ring true, but I still enjoyed it. I loved the goat portion I guess because I wish I could have had that experience. The author and her husband had a really awful situation but through hard work and dedication endured. I think few people today have that grit. We, as a society are quick to give up and just as quick to blame our downfalls on others. This author didn’t do that , so good for her. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |

McGaha never thought she would be pulling camouflage carpet off her ceiling or rescuing opossums from her barn and calling it "date night." Most importantly, she never thought she would only have $4.57 in her bank account. After she and her husband discovered that they owed a lot of back taxes, they foreclosed on their suburban home and moved to a one-hundred-year-old cabin in a North Carolina holler. What started as a last-ditch effort to settle debts became a journey that revealed both the joys and challenges of living close to the land.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,371,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible