The Cloister and the Hearth New Edition With…

The Cloister and the Hearth New Edition With Active Table Of Contents… (edition 2012)

by Charles Reade

Member:john257hopper
Title:The Cloister and the Hearth New Edition With Active Table Of Contents (Illustrated)
Authors:Charles Reade
Info:
Collections:Your library, Owned, To read, eBooks
Tags:eBook, fiction, historical fiction, Medieval, 2012, Kindle Store, TBR

The Cloister and the Hearth by Charles Reade

I just had my local bookseller order this book for me. I wish I had opted for a different edition. The print in this edition (which was ordered directly from Create Space, but does not display that name anywhere on any page or the cover) is so small, it is incredible. There is no information anywhere on the book, but I can guess the print is 6 pt. I can only imagine the eye-strain to come. And, wonder of wonders, they don't accept returns. So I'm stuck with it. I will know better next time. And I had been so looking forward to reading it.
  lorsomething | Aug 10, 2016 |
The ultimate romantic adventure story. ( )
  ChrisNewton | Mar 18, 2016 |
I haven't read this book for many years, but at one point was obsessed with it and went around antiquarian and secondhand bookstores buying up every copy I could find. Some volumes have the most amazing illustrations and if you're into collecting books these are worth tracking down.

The story is not only bitter-sweet but also a fantastic 15th Century romp with our hero, Gerard, getting into all kinds of scrapes, some of which are fraught with danger while others are absolutely hilarious.

ToniAllenAuthor | Oct 30, 2014 |
"Shall we never be out of this hateful country?", September 29, 2014

This review is from: The Cloister and the Hearth (Kindle Edition)
I first heard of this book through my elderly father, who recalled it being a set book at his school, and described it with a shudder as the 'most boring book in the world.'
Thinking I might appreciate a Victorian classic better than he did, I gave it a go. Managed 230 pages (of 630) but ground to a halt.
Written in 1850s, this is the story of Gerard, a fine young Dutch lad whose large and interesting family includes a pious invalid sister and a brother who is a dwarf (but very good at climbing, which comes in useful), who has been promised a benefice once he qualifies as a Catholic priest. His family want him to take it... but Gerard has fallen for Margaret, the daughter of Peter the Magician. My thought throughout the book so far was that if Charles Reade was around nowadays, he'd be writing screenplays for action movies or exciting kids' series on TV.
Gerard has embarked on a long journey to Italy. Having taken up with Denys, a jolly Burgundian soldier (who proves a handy comrade at dangerous moments ), every corner discloses a new adventure, from being chased by a bear to falling in the Rhine to being almost killed by an innkeeper. I think what bored me was that there was no plotline exactly: apart from some murky dealings about the Burgomeister swindling Margaret, which has not yet been explained, all these escapades are in no way interlinked.
There are moments where the writing is very strong and humorous: I liked his description of a gruesome medieval inn:
'In one corner was a travelling family, a large one: thence flowed into the common stock the peculiar sickly smell of neglected brats. Garlic filled up the interstices of the air...Odour of family predominated in two corners; stewed rustic reigned supreme in the centre; and garlic in the noisy group by the window. He found, too, by hasty analysis, that of these the garlic described the smallest aerial orbit, and the scent of reeking rustic darted furthest.'
By no means unreadable, even with the 16th century language, but I feel I've read as much as I need to! ( )
  starbox | Sep 29, 2014 |
best damn book ever. ( )
  ChrisNewton | Jul 4, 2013 |

Charles Readeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Browne, GordonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, MorrisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rhys, ErnestSeries Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swinburne, Algernon CharlesIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not a day passes orver the earth, but men and women of no note do great deeds, speak great words, and suffer noble sorrows. Of these obscure heroes, philosophers, and martyrs, the greater part will never be known till that hour, when many that are great shall be small, and the small great; but of others the world's knowledge may be said to sleep: their lives and characters lie hidden from nations in the annals that record them.
The Classic Illustrated (comic book) version of The CLoister and the Hearth should not be combined with the actual full-text novel of the same name.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159224923X, Hardcover)

"The Cloister and the Hearth" is Charles Reade's greatest work--and, I believe, the greatest historical novel in the language. . . . "One can only say that this great writer--there is no greater praise--paints women as they are, men as they are, things as they are. What we call genius is first the power of seeing men, women, and things as they are--most of us, being without genius, are purblind--and then the power of showing them by means of "invention"--by the grafting of "invention" upon fact. No man has shown greater power of grasping fact and of weaving invention upon it than Charles Reade." -- from Walter Besant's introduction (Jacketless library hardcover.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:44 -0400)

Set at the time Europe was moving out of the Middle Ages into the new world of humanism and science, it tells the story of the star-crossed lovers Gerard and Margaret.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,985,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible