Yotsuba&!: Volume 1 by Azuma Kiyohiko

Yotsuba&!: Volume 1 (edition 2005)

by Azuma Kiyohiko

Collections:Your library, Read - owned
Rating:*****
Tags:Japan, manga

YOTSUBA&!, Volume 1 by Kiyohiko Azuma

Azumanga Daioh, Volume 1 by Kiyohiko Azuma (littlebearries)
    littlebearries: By the same creator, the characters in this story are older... but just as cute.
    Bunny Drop, Vol. 1 by Yumi Unita (keristars)
    keristars: Both of these are about a 5-year-old girl who has been taken in by an unmarried young man. They each use humor and the illustrative medium to great effect, though Usagi Drop has a more serious tone than Yotsuba&! - this difference is primarily because one series is more concerned with the adoptive father's story (Usagi Drop), while the other is more concerned with the little girl (Yostuba&!).… (more)
    Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1 by Kanata Konami (questionablepotato)
    Dr. Slump, Volume 01 by Akira Toriyama (scotchpenicillin)

Ella has been giggling at these for over a year now, so I thought I'd give them a try. I mean, she (and her younger sister) were right about the Bone books: I *do* like them. Turns out that she's right about these too: they're sweet, charming and entertaining.

Yotsuba is 5 years old and she has green hair; she locks herself in the bathroom, goes hunting for cicadas (it's a catch-and-release program, never fear), hangs out with the neighbour girls, learns about doorbells and air conditioners and escalators. The humour comes from the discrepancy between the way that Yotsuba sees the world and the way it actually is, but the overall appeal is rooted in the fact that the relationships are believable and the reader wants to spend time in the company of these characters. ( )
  buriedinprint | Apr 8, 2013 |
Warning: you will not be able to stop reading this manga! Yotsuba&! is the high-energy, ridiculously-cute-but-not-cutesy adventures of a little girl and her dad who have just moved to the city. It's a fun and extremely light read with really excellent dialogue and art. Reminded me a lot of the Ramona Quimby books, although it's obviously for a slightly older audience. ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |
Enjoy Everything! ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
A fun series by the creator/artist/writer of Azumanga Daioh. Better than the previous ADV Manga translation. ( )
  timothyl33 | Jul 14, 2011 |
Story Title: 4/5
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Illustration: 4/5

Synopsis:
Yotsuba is moving to a new house... this means new neighbors, new experiences, new everything!
She lives alone with her father, who is often called Koi for short. She quickly meets the adorable girls who live next door and her adventures truly being.

Character Likability:
Yotsuba: This kid is adorable. She's really quite weird, totally clueless, and yet, cute as heck. I found myself laughing several times while reading this first volume, because she IS so childlike and adorable. The author has really captured the wonder and awe that children experience when discovering new things... and the gullibility and ability of adults to amuse themselves by misleading children. At the same time, I would blame the neighbors if they found Yotsuba totally annoying... but they seem to be good natured... although inexplicably tolerant of how negligent Yotsuba's father is... perhaps this is something more to do with Japanese culture?
Yotsuba's Father: He seems a bit lazy, and doesn't really have any idea how to care for a small child... but everything seems to work out fine in the end... because this doesn't seem like the kind of story where bad things exist in the world to hurt Yotsuba.
Jumbo (Takashi Takeda): A friend of the family, Jumbo keeps showing up to help them move in, or to do other random things. He's a wee bit girl obsessed though, and falls for Ayase's older sister, Asagi.
Ayase: Yotsuba's neighbor and the middle daughter. She is in High School, incredibly polite and helpful, and often left to take care of Yotsuba in some way or another.
Asagi: Ayase's older sister, in College and very pretty. She's a bit more twisted and prone to teasing Yotsuba without Yotsuba understanding that she's being teased. However, you can tell she has a true affection for the girl and is overall very kind to Yotsuba.
Ena: Ayase's youngest sister, she often plays with Yotsuba and is very kind and tolerant as well.

Quality of Writing:
The writing really works wonders on making Yotsuba both really likable and really childlike. These are quick, entertaining reads... and I want more of them!

Ending:
This is the first in a series of I am not sure how many... and due to the nature of the way these are written, there isn't really an 'end' or a 'cliffhanger' or anything. Each chapter is Yotsuba discovering a new thing... such as, the first is Yotsuba & Moving!, the next is Yotsuba & Greetings! This continues through the entire book, each chapter not directly connected to the chapter before it. I think this helps to make it more childlike and cute... since Yotsuba has a fairly short attention span herself... it would be hard to follow a continuous story of her... since she probably doesn't actually do to much during a day if she's not discovering something exciting and new.

Plot:
It's a simple plot revolving around each chapter having us follow Yotsuba discovering something new. Her story is progressed just in so far as she is slowly learning about the world around her... where the characters around her have some story progression, but it is not as important as Yotsuba having fun.
Truthfully, I picked this series up because I saw so many people on the internet raving about it, and wanted to know what the deal was. What I didn't realize, until after I'd finished this first volume, was that it is by the creator of Azumanga Daioh... which I saw as an anime and, at first, hated. Nothing happened, it was just a bunch of girls running around being dumb... but as I watched the series more, their antics grew on me, until it was possibly my favorite anime of the season (when I went to our college anime club). These characters have an endearing, honest quality, and are genuinely funny.
However, if you're looking for an intensely deep plot with layers and layers of meaning... this isn't for you. It truly is VERY light-hearted.

Illustration Quality:
I LOVE the illustrations in this book. The characters are adorable, and the artist really has expressions down well... Niko goes through such a constantly changing array of facial expressions that it is endlessly entertaining. Proportions are well done, line quality is lovely, and detail is amazing.

Believability of World:
Very believable, and truly enjoyable in a fun, simple kind of way.

Overall Grade: A ( )
  littlebearries | Jan 10, 2011 |

Kiyohiko Azumaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chauviré, EveTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Forsyth, AmyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lopez, JavierTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wow...
We're almost there...
Yen Press acquired this license and has republished the series with new translations. Originally published by ADV
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Yotsuba&! is a whimsical manga centering on the lives of a young adopted girl named Yotsuba, her overworking father, and their neighbors whom Yotsuba often visits looking for fun. Full of laughs and frolicking, the reader is treated to seeing life through the eyes of an odd, delightfully charming girl.

From the nutty mind of Kyohiko Azuma, creator of the hit manga Azumanga Daioh comes the story of the new kid in town - little Yotsuba, a green-haired and wide-eyed girl who doesn't have a clue about anything! With no knowledge of the world around her, and an unnatural fear of air conditioners, Yotsuba has her new neighbors' heads spinning. Join the hilarious exploits of an out-of-this-world schoolgirl as her befuddled friends attempt to uncover the secrets behind this strange child in Yotsubato!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,735,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible