The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline

The Marrow Thieves (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Cherie Dimaline (Author)

1961188,094 (3.85)11
Member:jamesshelley
Title:The Marrow Thieves
Authors:Cherie Dimaline (Author)
Info:DCB (2017), 260 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline (2017)

read in January 2019
  rosestroh | Jan 16, 2019 |
This story tackles some important and sensitive topics. What I like about this book is how Cherie Dimaline can tell the struggles and harsh treatments of Indigenous people in a lighter tone with her writing style, yet still be able to come through the pages with the message she wants to express. ( )
  SammieReads | Oct 14, 2018 |
RGG: The mood is reminiscent of Yancey's The Fifth Wave--maybe it's the journey through the wilderness while being hunted by society. A quiet science fiction re-telling of Native American history. Reading Interest: 14-YA.
  rgruberhighschool | Jul 27, 2018 |
  rgruberexcel | Jul 27, 2018 |
Oh my god. This book is so, so incredible. I couldn't put it down, especially when I got deeper into the book and there were cliffhangers. This book is just so dense and tightly-woven, but also completely accessible and sucks you right in so you have to keep reading. The book is so rich with questions, too, and the dreams hook is amazing and carries so beautifully throughout. I loved this book absolutely and want everyone I know to read it, so please go out and do so! ( )
  aijmiller | Apr 25, 2018 |
"The way to kill a man or nation is to cut off his dreams, the way the whites are taking care of the Indians: killing their dreams, their magic, their familiar spirits." - William S. Burroughs
"Where you've nothing else, construct ceremonies out of the air and breathe upon them." - Cormac McCarthy, The Road
For the Grandmothers who gave me strength. To the children who give me hope.
Mitch was smiling so big his back teeth shone in the soft light of the solar-powered lamp we'd scavenged from someone's shed.

"In a future world ravaged by global warming, people have lost the ability to dream, and the dreamlessness has led to widespread madness. The only people still able to dream are North America's indigenous population - and it is their marrow that holds the cure for the rest of the world. But getting the marrow - and dreams - means death for the unwilling donors. Driven to flight, a 15-year-old and his companions struggle for survival, attempt to reunite with loved ones, and take refuge from the "recruiters" who seek them out to bring them to the marrow-stealing 'factories.'"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,532,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible