The Practical Princess by Jay Williams

The Practical Princess (edition 2016)

by Jay Williams (Author), Friso Henstra (Illustrator)

1948101,911 (4.22)5
Six unusual fairy tales include "The Practical Princess," "Stupid Marco," "The Silver Whistle," "Forgetful Fred," "Petronella," and "Philbert the Fearful".
Member:CatherineMilos
Title:The Practical Princess
Authors:Jay Williams (Author)
Other authors:Friso Henstra (Illustrator)
Info:Purple House Press (2016), 40 pages
Rating:*****

The Practical Princess, and Other Liberating Fairy Tales by Jay Williams

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
A re-read and one I owned as a child. The 6 stories are short and it's intended for younger readers. IN each one, a fairy story is given a twist by which the standard big strong (but, let's be honest usually slightly thick) knight rescues the damsel and she marries him. In this case the damsel has quite a large say in what happens. She is the one doing the rescuing, and she certainly has a say in who she marries.
If I was given this as a child (and I'd have been probably top end age for it wen it was published), I can see where some of my ideas came from. ( )
  Helenliz | Oct 20, 2017 |
Not as wonderful as I'd hoped - the stories are really too short to develop the characters at all, and so it's neither charming nor satisfying.  They are clever, though, especially Petronella, which has been developed into a picture-book.  Schreiter's pictures are two colored and many silhouette, which I find reminescint of Arthur Rackham.  Iow, they're insufficiently delightful, too.  I'm glad I got this from ILL (Univ. of So. Colorado this time) instead of buying it.  If you wanted better fairy stories for girls look for Kerr and Milne on my shelves (iirc) or PM me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Oh how I love a practical princess. Great message for children! The illustrations are pretty cool too. Overall a great story. ( )
  elkeursin | Jan 7, 2011 |
Another set of short fairy tales (six of them), this one for much younger readers. The heroines in this are feisty and interesting and actually DO something, which is always a nice change. They're aimed at pre-teens so were a little too obvious for me to fully enjoy. I wanted more from each of the stories, which is testament to the interesting ideas and engaging characters, although frustrating in the long run. Definitely something I'd give my nieces though! ( )
  CeridwynR | Jan 27, 2010 |

Jay Williamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Henstra, FrisoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schreiter, RickIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This princess slays her own dragons and rescues the prince from the tower, using savvy and problem-solving skills!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,795,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible