Paradox Bound: A Novel by Peter Clines

Paradox Bound: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Peter Clines (Author)

Member:majkia
Title:Paradox Bound: A Novel
Authors:Peter Clines (Author)
Info:Crown (2017), 384 pages
Collections:Next Up, To read, To Listen, Your library, Audio, Sci Fi
Tags:audio, Audible, sci fi

Paradox Bound: A Novel by Peter Clines

This is an imaginative science-fiction thriller, with plenty of action and suspense, and great amounts of creative science-fiction details to please fans of the genre. Eli Teague lives in a small backwater in Maine where nothing seems to ever change. He has 3 mysterious meetings with a traveler dressed in strange clothing and driving an odd vehicle. And that's just the beginning of his adventures. There are evil entities chasing this driver, and soon he's taken up into the adventure, along for the ride at first, then involved in a way he could never imagine. The science fiction element of this novel is intriguing, and I won't give too much away except to say, as does the blurb on the back, that this is a time-travel thriller. It involves America's past as well as its philosophical grounding (although this is a less compelling element than the "science" around the historical era-hopping). The travelers zoom around various historical periods of American history, and the author brings to life these moments with passable historical detail. As with all good time-travel fiction, there are enjoyable time paradox moments (e.g., Marty McFly's parents name him "Marty" after their son Marty travels back in time and meets them before they marry and have him). The author takes a liberty here when it comes to details and explanations of how the time-travel actually works, and the "logic" of all the various aspects to this world. He fudges these details with a convenient "nobody really knows but this is what we were all told in the game of telephone as one person passes on to another this information throughout the generations." In this way, the author evades the responsibility of having to really flesh out the theories, but it's a forgivable offense because the ride is so much fun. Thank you to the author and publisher for a review copy. ( )
  ChayaLovesToRead | May 10, 2018 |
The American Dream, that inspirational entity that sparked the American Revolution, went missing in the 1960s. Since then a group of searchers have been traveling throughout the American past and future trying to find it. Close behind them is a quasi-law enforcement agency known as the "faceless men" who perceive with certainty at close distances and possess the ability to cloud men's minds.

Eli Teague finds nothing interesting about his home town, Sanders, Maine, a small community apparently stuck in time. That is until a roadside encounter with a young woman dressed like a man, wearing a tricorn hat, carrying a flintlock rifle, and driving a souped-up Model-A Ford.

Like the author's previous novel, The Fold, this one will twist your brain like a pretzel when considering the various paradoxes. I thoroughly enjoyed journeying with our protagonists through the "slick spots" of America's byways and highways. I only hope that this author doesn't take as long to release his next novel as he did this one. ( )
  John_Warner | May 3, 2018 |
Paradox Bound parte de una premisa ya bastante utilizada, viajes en el tiempo. "Viajes a través de la historia", me corregiría la protagonista de la novela.

Eli Teague era un niño la primera vez que conoció a Harry. Harry puede parecer un nombre masculino, pero la verdad es que Harriet Pritchard prefiere que la llamen así.
Vestida con extraños atuendos Eli se encuentra con la joven mientras parece arreglar un auto viejísimo. Un Ford Model A, para ser más precisos.

Poquito tiempo después, Harry se marcha y Eli se da cuenta de que ella está siendo seguida y atacada por otro auto viejo (un Hudson Hornet), en el que se encuentran dentro hombres sin rostros.

Eli Teague, sin aún alcanzar la pubertad, se encuentra asustado pero, a la vez, emocionado; pues vive en Sanders, Maine; una ciudad tranquila donde no pasa absolutamente nada.

Durante las siguientes décadas, Eli se encuentra con Harry varias veces. Eli crece mientras que Harry permanece igual a la primera vez. El joven empieza a obsesionarse con la chica y no es hasta cuando está adulto que decide aventurarse a encontrarla.

¿Quién es Harriet Pritchard? ¿De dónde viene? ¿Qué busca? Eli quiere respuestas, pero obtendrá más de lo que estaba buscando.

Paradox Bound es una novela emocionante. Viajes por diferentes eras dentro de la historia americana, personajes culturales que hacen cameos (en versiones modificadas), muchas millas manejadas en autos vintage, escenas de acción y persecución auspiciadas por los misteriosos villanos de la novela. Todo esto aparte de una buena relación que va germinando a medida que transcurren los acontecimientos entre los personajes principales.

El libro tiene un buen arranque, pero peca de perderse un poco en la mitad. Hay partes de la trama que tardan bastante en desarrollarse y, como ya les dije, es un libro de viajes y aventuras. Mucho diálogo encerrado en vehículos, trenes, tabernas. Cuando la acción empieza a tomar ritmo ya nos damos cuenta de que la novela casi se acaba.

Paradox Bound es el equivalente a un piloto de una serie de televisión. Una premisa intrigante, una mitad con mucha exposición y un desenlace que te hace desear ver el próximo episodio. Un pequeño paréntesis con relación a ésto: Peter Clines dijo en una entrevista que no tiene planeado continuar la historia a menos que tenga alguna idea que no pueda apartar, por lo que ésta novela -por el momento- sería un libro único.

Si gustan las historias de viajes en el tiempo, libros que se enfocan en la búsqueda de artefactos y acción sobre cuatro ruedas, Paradox Bound puede ser un libro para ti.

F. Paul Wilson dice que Paradox Bound podría ser un cruce entre Doctor Who y National Treasure. ( )
  JorgeLC | Apr 28, 2018 |
I got a copy of this book through NetGalley to review. This was an okay read, but my least favorite book by Clines. The whole book is basically a big car chase through history/time and gets repetitive.

I thought the idea of traveling through history was a good one and enjoyed how that contrasted with the idea of traveling through time. The main goal of the story was finding the Dream; and this was a bit obscure and ambiguous. Additionally, the constant car chases got repetitive.

Overall this was an okay read and had some different ideas in it. I liked the idea of traveling through history versus time. However, in the end the story ended up being strangely repetitive, a bit ambiguous, and boring. As I said, not my favorite Clines read. I would recommend “14” or his “Ex-Heroes” series over this book. ( )
  krau0098 | Mar 21, 2018 |
The premise of this novel had me really intrigued and excited to read this novel. However, my actual experience with this book was ... underwhelming. The story revolves around Harry, the mysterious stranger that Eli meets, as well as a host of other characters who are all looking for a very important thing: the American dream. And to do this, they are going through different time points in American history to find it. Now, I love a good time travel story, especially since the concept of time travel is not the easiest to write about. I quite enjoyed the jumps in time and how it forced the reader to pay attention to all of the little details in the book. However, I wasn't so impressed with the characters. They were all just so bland and they really didn't hold any interest. With such a whimsical story idea, I expect really fantastic characters that leave an impression on the reader. Even the villains weren't as villainous as I was hoping. The entire time I was reading this novel, it felt like everything stopped just shy of being amazing. The pace was just short of gripping and edgy, the thrills and dangers were just short of being scary, the characters were just short of being charismatic, and the ending was just short of being satisfactory. While the premise and concept was interesting, I don't think the execution was the best. This definitely wasn't a memorable story, but it could have been. For that reason, I'm giving this a 2.5/5 stars.

Thanks to Blogging for Books, NetGalley, and the publishers for this ARC in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,538,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible