Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Soul Bound: The Warrior (The Soul Bound…

Soul Bound: The Warrior (The Soul Bound Series) (Volume 1) (edition 2017)

by Jas T. Ward (Author)

422,380,873 (4.5)None
Member:Brittany_Holland_PA
Title:Soul Bound: The Warrior (The Soul Bound Series) (Volume 1)
Authors:Jas T. Ward (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2017), Edition: 1, 268 pages

Soul Bound: The Warrior (The Soul Bound Series) (Volume 1) by Jas T. Ward

I jumped into this book expecting a horror tale (as indicted on Audible) and that’s probably one of the reasons it took me quite some time to get into this story. It’s really a romance first and foremost with a little bit of paranormal stuff thrown in. Romance really isn’t my cup of tea.

For the most part, I was bored. There’s lots of time spent on Jace and Kitt flirting and then, Bam!, they get smacked with a case of insta-love. So for the rest of the book there’s lots of long passages about eye contact and deep feelings and what not when they haven’t really experienced much together. Snooze.

Laura, Jace’s dead wife, is ghosting about, haunting Jace. She intrigued me because for much of the book we didn’t know for sure what occurred between Jace and Laura leading up to her death. Then there’s Olivia, Laura’s sister, who can also see Laura’s ghost. Olivia is hell bent on seeing ‘justice’ brought to Jace.

Sky (Kitt’s good friend) and Zane (Jace’s good friend) provide some comedic relief. We also have Dr. Alex Martinez who comes off a bit disorganized at first and yet I kept wondering if that was her way to set Jace off balance and get around his walls. Once the story writes itself into a corner, in walks Franklin who offers some much needed knowledge about the paranormal.

As you can see, the story has some promise, especially if you enjoy a strong romantic theme. For me, there was too little paranormal stuff and too much soul bonding based on insta-love. Also, the story often built drama around some insubstantial things. For instance, Jace doesn’t like cold drinks and his best friends have never asked him why. Pause for a deep long moment as the tension builds…. and Jace says he has sensitive teeth. Totally plausible yet some of the characters treat the answer with suspicion. Now, us readers know from early on Jace’s true reason for disliking cold things but I don’t see why it should be such a big deal with this friends. All told, it’s 3.5/5 stars.

The Narration: Edward Mittelstedt did a really good job narrating this book. Each character was distinct and his female voices were feminine. Now, the story does describe Jace as a more rugged Gerald Butler so I was expecting a deeper voice for Jace. That could just be me. Mittelstedt went the extra mile and did neat things like have multiple voices when more than one person answered a question at the same time. That was great! 5/5 stars.

I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Edward Mittelstedt. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Dec 31, 2017 |
This was an intriguing story that had me hooked almost immediately, I couldn't put it down.
Jace had a troubled past which had a terrible impact on his present life and his health. He'd continued to isolate himself and lost friends but luckily had now managed to make new friends again who were giving him their much needed help...help he needed to regain his life and hold onto his shredded sanity.

There's thrills, suspense and a splattering of the paranormal that keeps the action exciting in this mystery romance. It's a very different story and I'm glad I gave it a shot because I loved it! I definitely will be reading the next book in the series.

I highly recommend this book! ( )
  JulieD2 | Jun 18, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,479,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible