Batman: The Dark Knight - Master Race by…

Batman: The Dark Knight - Master Race

by Frank Miller

Other authors: Brian Azzarello

Series: The Dark Knight (3)

"In 1986, Frank Miller introduced his iconic take on Batman and changed the face of comics forever. Now, three decades after BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, Miller himself has returned with a third chapter to his groundbreaking saga. BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT: MASTER RACE continues Frank Miller's landmark DARK KNIGHT SAGA that began with 1986's THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and continued with its 2001-2002 sequel THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN. Co-written by Brian Azzarello and drawn by Andy Kubert and Klaus Janson, BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT: MASTER RACE returns to a world gone awry left in the aftermath of the toppling of Lex Luthor and the apparent death... of Batman himself? Then who will save Gotham City and the rest of the planet against the mysterious Master Race? Also collected in this graphic novel are the nine mini-comics that originally appeared in the monthly periodical release of BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT: MASTER RACE, each of which focuses on a different character from within the world of Miller's Dark Knight. The minicomics are also written by Miller and Azzarello and will be drawn by some of the greatest artists currently working in comics, including Miller himself, Eduardo Risso and John Romita, Jr.! Collected here are all nine chapters of BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT: MASTER RACE as well as the nine mini-comics"--… (more)

It doesn't amaze the reader by reinventing virtually everything on page after page like "Dark Knight Returns" once did, but unlike the confused and sadly uneven "Strikes Again" follow-up from 2001, this is a darned good story if given the (as is only fair) chance of being compared to your average super hero comic rather than the once-in-a-decade phenomenon that was the original. And Azzarello also pleasantly tones doen the chauvinistic testosterone nonsense that tends to litter Miller's solo outings, without in any way neutering the brutality and force that comes with it. A really good read, through and through. ( )
  LokiAesir | Aug 19, 2019 |
so he really just draws like that and we're all pretending to be okay with it, huh ( )
  hatingongodot | Aug 12, 2019 |
Blade Runner came back after 30-some years. Star Wars has a new lease of life. Couldn't The Dark Knight still work? Perhaps, but it doesn't. This has nothing of the original in it except an odd moment or two where Carrie shines. I've always been more about the writing than the art, but The Dark Knight Returns revolutionized the look of comics by taking a formal panel grid and then playing with page layouts. Most of the panels were tiny intricate works of art so that when there was a splash page, it sang. This is just a big dumb comic like a lot of other big dumb comics. The most damning thing i could say now about this project is that it's just nothing special.

That said, I love my out-sized hardback edition which is simply beautiful to look at and hold. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
The Dark Knight is back, again, and this time facing a threat that extends far beyond Gotham City.

Miller somehow exceeded my expectations with this sequel to 'Dark Knight Returns'. He uses a lot of the same methods to convey the warped modern world he did thirty years ago and it still makes sense.

I liked the broader approach to Batman's world, this feels more like a Superman or Justice League story than a Batman one, but I enjoyed Miller's interpretations of the DC Universe. I've never read 'The Dark Knight Strikes Again' and it didn't inhibit my understanding of the book - so don't hesitate!

Dark Knight

Previous: 'The Dark Knight Strikes Again' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
What a stupid, poorly-written mess. It had a few scenes that worked quite well, but everything in between was just awful. I'd had better off using the time I spent with this dreck re-reading Miller's original masterpiece. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |

Frank Millerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Azzarello, Briansecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,947,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible