A Dangerous Mourning by Anne Perry

A Dangerous Mourning (edition 1991)

by Anne Perry

Collections:2013
Rating:***1/2
Tags:London, murder, mystery, AD, 13 in 13

A Dangerous Mourning by Anne Perry

English (11)  Spanish (1)  All languages (12)
Okay, I'm hooked - on to book 3 ( )
  alyson | Aug 29, 2013 |
This is another good mystery from Anne Perry with great period detail and a fairly interesting mystery. A beautiful young widow is found stabbed to death in her own bed and the case is assigned to Monk. It soon appears to have been the work of someone in the household, either one of her relatives or one of the servants. Hester Lattery once again helps with the investigation, taking a position as a nurse for Lady Moidore in order to observe the various suspects. I will definitely be reading more of this series.
  hailelib | Mar 25, 2013 |
If there is a pattern emerging from this series it is that the English nobility has no limit to their cunning in hiding truth which may shame them or affect their money.

Monk, still unable to recover his memory, is given another case involving the apparent break in and murder of a lady in her bedroom. No one heard anything and witnesses in the street saw no one entering or leaving the house after hours. Monk arrives at the conclusion that someone in the house is the murderer but faces a tight family unit supported by a cast of servants, none of whom had helpful information. Suspicion falls on a dashing footman but Monk does not believe he is guilty and is fired when he refuses to arrest him.

Calling upon the bravery and intelligence of his new friend, Hester Latterly, he is able to place her as a nurse to the wife of Sir Basil Moidore who has taken to her room and seems to be falling to depression over the unsolved death. Hester is now able to talk and listen to all the members of the house and report back to him.

Will Monk be able to discover the truth before the footman hangs? This is another page turning episode with a frank portrayal of an important house of the Victorian era. ( )
  mamzel | Jan 26, 2013 |
Second book of the William Monk series:

I would say that Hester plays a larger part in this mystery than William Monk. While Monk definitely plays a role, his story takes a back seat so we can get to know Hester a little better. Very little information is added to Monk's background much to the disappointment of this particular reader.

However, this is a strong mystery that opens with a death and the trial and verdict of the previous novel's murderer. I really enjoyed the fact that everything flows continuously and nothing is ever very abrupt (except for perhaps the novels' endings). I'm growing rather fond of this series.

SPOILER DOWN BELOW! THAR SHE BLOWS!!!!
Question: Is this going to be a running theme--nobility and family members are always the guilty ones? Don't tell me! I'll find out myself! (You can tell me if you want to. I won't stop you.) ( )
  quillmenow | Aug 29, 2012 |
William Monk is an unusual character. Because he doesn’t know anything about his own background, the reader has nothing to pull from to understand his motivations. For instance, why does he hate his boss so much? Is it just because he rubs him the wrong way, or is there a history that even Monk doesn’t know, but that he can’t stop himself from reacting to? It’s frustrating and intriguing all at once.

But there’s more to this book than the mystery of Monk. Hester continues to excel at being the female lead, and I find their relationship very interesting. Is it strictly platonic, or are their hints of romantic feelings hiding beneath the ire they tend to display? Hester is obviously in search of a life that is larger than the one society would like to dictate, and Monk appears to be her ticket to that life.

As for the murder mystery, it swims in the stink of class bigotry. I think Perry did a good job illustrating the feelings of both the aristocracy and the servant classes.

The one issue I had with this book had more to do with how I was reading it than anything else. I was reading it on my phone, and it was my “emergency” read, so I only got to it once or twice a week. Because of that, I had a hard time remembering who was who in the Moidore family. Though in my defense, there were a lot of them. This also wasn’t a quick moving plot. There’s really not a lot of action.

Bottom line, if you enjoy a period mystery, it’s hard to go wrong with Anne Perry. ( )
  miyurose | Jan 30, 2012 |

Anne Perryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berdagué, RoserTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blesgen, CarlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Griffini, Grazia MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John and Mary MacKenzie, and my friends in Alness, for making me welcome.
"Good morning, Monk," Runcorn said with satisfaction spreading over his strong, narrow features.

German

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804110379, Mass Market Paperback)

Inspector William Monk has his hands full when an aristocrat's daugher is stabbed to death in her own bed. He is instructed to proceed without delay, but finds his efforts hamstrung by the lingering traces of amnesia and the craven ineptitutde of his supervisor, who would love to see him fail. With the help of Hester Latterly, formerly a nurse with Florence Nightingale, Monk gropes warily through the silence and shadows, knowing that with each step he comes closer to the appalling truth....
"A richly textured, masterfully plotted, thoroughly enjoyable story."
THE KIRKUS REVIEWS

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:52 -0400)

Inspector Monk returns to the scene of another Victorian era murder mystery when the daughter of an upper-crust family is stabbed in her own home.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible