A Dangerous Mourning by Anne Perry

A Dangerous Mourning (edition 1991)

by Anne Perry

Collections:2013
Rating:***1/2
Tags:London, murder, mystery, AD, 13 in 13

A Dangerous Mourning by Anne Perry

English (12)  Spanish (1)  All languages (13)
#2 in the William Monk series.

At least this time I was not schizophrenically reading William Monk but thinking of Adrian Monk!

Perry developed a good mystery with plenty of suspects. She was hard-hearted in one respect, but even saying that may be a "spoiler alert," so I will say no more. It was a good read, with Hester Lattimer once again helping Monk. ( )
  kaulsu | May 9, 2014 |
Okay, I'm hooked - on to book 3 ( )
  alyson | Aug 29, 2013 |
This is another good mystery from Anne Perry with great period detail and a fairly interesting mystery. A beautiful young widow is found stabbed to death in her own bed and the case is assigned to Monk. It soon appears to have been the work of someone in the household, either one of her relatives or one of the servants. Hester Lattery once again helps with the investigation, taking a position as a nurse for Lady Moidore in order to observe the various suspects. I will definitely be reading more of this series.
  hailelib | Mar 25, 2013 |
If there is a pattern emerging from this series it is that the English nobility has no limit to their cunning in hiding truth which may shame them or affect their money.

Monk, still unable to recover his memory, is given another case involving the apparent break in and murder of a lady in her bedroom. No one heard anything and witnesses in the street saw no one entering or leaving the house after hours. Monk arrives at the conclusion that someone in the house is the murderer but faces a tight family unit supported by a cast of servants, none of whom had helpful information. Suspicion falls on a dashing footman but Monk does not believe he is guilty and is fired when he refuses to arrest him.

Calling upon the bravery and intelligence of his new friend, Hester Latterly, he is able to place her as a nurse to the wife of Sir Basil Moidore who has taken to her room and seems to be falling to depression over the unsolved death. Hester is now able to talk and listen to all the members of the house and report back to him.

Will Monk be able to discover the truth before the footman hangs? This is another page turning episode with a frank portrayal of an important house of the Victorian era. ( )
  mamzel | Jan 26, 2013 |
Second book of the William Monk series:

I would say that Hester plays a larger part in this mystery than William Monk. While Monk definitely plays a role, his story takes a back seat so we can get to know Hester a little better. Very little information is added to Monk's background much to the disappointment of this particular reader.

However, this is a strong mystery that opens with a death and the trial and verdict of the previous novel's murderer. I really enjoyed the fact that everything flows continuously and nothing is ever very abrupt (except for perhaps the novels' endings). I'm growing rather fond of this series.

SPOILER DOWN BELOW! THAR SHE BLOWS!!!!
Question: Is this going to be a running theme--nobility and family members are always the guilty ones? Don't tell me! I'll find out myself! (You can tell me if you want to. I won't stop you.) ( )
  quillmenow | Aug 29, 2012 |

Anne Perryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berdagué, RoserTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blesgen, CarlaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Griffini, Grazia MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John and Mary MacKenzie, and my friends in Alness, for making me welcome.
"Good morning, Monk," Runcorn said with satisfaction spreading over his strong, narrow features.

German

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804110379, Mass Market Paperback)

Inspector William Monk has his hands full when an aristocrat's daugher is stabbed to death in her own bed. He is instructed to proceed without delay, but finds his efforts hamstrung by the lingering traces of amnesia and the craven ineptitutde of his supervisor, who would love to see him fail. With the help of Hester Latterly, formerly a nurse with Florence Nightingale, Monk gropes warily through the silence and shadows, knowing that with each step he comes closer to the appalling truth....
"A richly textured, masterfully plotted, thoroughly enjoyable story."
THE KIRKUS REVIEWS

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:52 -0400)

Inspector Monk returns to the scene of another Victorian era murder mystery when the daughter of an upper-crust family is stabbed in her own home.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,412,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible