A Forest of Stars (Saga of Seven Suns) by…

A Forest of Stars (Saga of Seven Suns) (edition 2004)

by Kevin J. Anderson

Title:A Forest of Stars (Saga of Seven Suns)
Authors:Kevin J. Anderson
Info:Pocket Books (2004), Paperback, 736 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Fiction, Science-fiction

A Forest of Stars by Kevin J. Anderson

English (12)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (14)
I started this with a degree of trepidation, almost out of a sense of duty, to continue my way through the series after not particularly enjoying book one. In fact I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it and found myself slightly disappointed that it ended when it did. This isn't soaring Sci-Fi of incredible insight, but is a perfectly good space-based tale with extra bits and pieces thrown in that make it an enjoyable read. I hoping now that book three is another step up, we might yet have a classic on our hands... ( )
  expatscot | Nov 17, 2015 |
Quite a saga. ( )
  gregandlarry | Sep 30, 2015 |
The plot got a little better compared to the first book in the series, but other than that it is still very repetitive and at times boring. It also manages to introduce even more loose ends. Anyway I'm dropping the series, I will just read the summary for the rest somewhere if I can find it. ( )
  dalai-lt | Apr 7, 2013 |
In my review of the first in this sequence I said that I might read the sequel in a library copy or buy it very cheap. I seem to have done both: I bought this one cheap, and I was more than halfway through before I realized that I had actually read it before. Like the first volume: plot not bad, some of the scenery great, some nice pieces of imagination; but clunky characterization, repetitious explanation, too much development that occurs in narration rather than action or dialogue, and no intention or motive is ever left ambiguous.

And what is this obsession with dynastic arranged marriage? And why do the ordinary people not realize that the King of the Hansa is a ceremonial figurehead? It's hardly a new idea: the British have been developing it for a couple of hundred years already.

MB 19-xi-2012 ( )
1 vote MyopicBookworm | Nov 19, 2012 |
Couldn't engage with this one and the idea that there were still five more after this - had to abort. ( )
  amobogio | Jan 12, 2012 |
In the ruins of the ancient Klikiss civilization, human archaeologists Margaret and Louis Colicos discovered an exotic technology capable of igniting gas-giant planets to create new suns.

It has been five years since humanity's heady expansion among the stars came to an abrupt, and violent, halt. The emergence of the Hydrogues, an immensely powerful alien race dwelling within gas-giant planets, has placed the scattered colonies of the Terran Hanseatic League in jeopardy. With space travel heavily curtailed, and supplies of fuel dwindling, young King Peter and Chairman Basil Wenceslas, the harsh power behind the throne, have no choice but to impose strict rationing. But the Hydrogues are not the only enemies of humanity. The scheming Mage-Imperator, leader of the ancient Ildiran Empire, attempts to forge tangled alliances among all combatants in order to protect his failing civilization. The mysterious Klikiss robots, only remnants of an extinct race, continue to work their sinister plans while pretending to be friends and advisors to the Hanseatic League. And archaeologists Margaret and Louis Colicos -- whose discovery of an ancient alien weapon accidentally triggered the Hydrogue conflict -- have vanished on the abandoned world of Rheindic Co. Rlinda Kett and Davlin Lotze, sent to investigate the disappearance, soon realise that the Colicos' discoveries may lead to an incredible new way to travel between worlds...or to the awakening of enemies even more fearsome than the Hydrogues. Something of inestimable power must have been required to destroy the Klikiss race. Will humanity be next?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:49 -0400)

The bestselling and award-winning author continues his stunning epic series: a vast panorama of galactic civilization and apocalyptic war. "A rip-roaring space opera full of mystery, adventure, and suspense."--"Science Fiction Chronicle."

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible