Bystanders : stories

by Tara Laskowski

Legacies of violence and tragedy haunt these thirteen stunning stories from Tara Laskowski, author of Modern Manners for Your Inner Demons. A woman who becomes obsessed with her co-worker's murderer; an investigative reporter with a nose for scandal finds his own life suddenly unraveling; eerie sights in a video baby monitor haunt a new mother. When the unexpected happens, these bystanders-who are not always innocent-come face to face with their own choices and fates. Bound together by danger, fear, paranoia, and the bumps we all hear in the night, these potent stories illuminate the darker side of the human condition. From a vicious newspaper strike that rocks a small Pennsylvania community to an unpredictable road trip in the vast desert of the American West, Bystanders explores the ways in which terror and uncertainty both consumes and invigorates us-and yet reveals our strengths, hopes, and passions. Selected as the Grand Prize Winner for the SFWP Literary Awards Program, 2010, by Pulitzer Prize-winner Robert Olen Butler.… (more)

This was a book of short stories where some were somewhat suspenseful or mysterious and others were just a slice of life but mainly about family or adult relationships. I was mildly interested in some but the endings were lacking something or were too subtle. The ones I liked the most were “The Monitor”, “Entrapment” and “Support”. ( )
  gaylebutz | Apr 14, 2018 |
What a collection of unsettling stories! Each gives a glimpse into someone's life, but what is exposed is not always comfortable. In one story, a woman looks at her own baby's monitor and sees the baby of a neighbor. In a second story, a lady gets a letter from her husband who she thought had died eight years previously. In yet another story, a man who constantly scares his mistress causes her to in turn scare his wife. If this sounds bizarre, it is. If you might be curious as to what happens in these stories and more, consider reading this book! ( )
  SqueakyChu | Jul 23, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,822,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible