Two Girls Down: A Novel by Louisa Luna

Two Girls Down: A Novel

by Louisa Luna

16320103,208 (4.07)4

This was a captivating read, and kept me hooked from the very start. The moment the girls disappear, you know the book is obviously going somewhere intense, but there's no way that I could have predicted the ending. It's pretty twisted, and definitely could be triggering for some people with certain events in their past, but at the same time it's undeniably realistic and believable. This is stuff that does happen, and it's crafted together into a gripping thriller here. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Jul 1, 2018 |
Many reviews of TWO GIRLS DOWN compare its female main character, Alice Vega, to Jack Reacher (the main character in a series by Lee Child). Therefore, I was expecting an unreal superwoman who could accomplish almost anything even with one hand tied behind her back. But I was pleasantly surprised.

Vega is a private investigator out of California with a reputation for locating missing persons, mostly children . When she is hired to find two little girls in Pennsylvania, she offers Max Caplan, a former policeman there, a job as her partner in this pursuit. Together, Vega and “Cap” visit a lot of lowlife and unravel the mystery.

Vega’s superpowers , unlike Jack Reacher’s, are limited to her online contacts with a person who has superabilities to find addresses and to hack into banking records. Yes, she does always win fights but not unscathed. Vega didn’t turn me off, as I had expected.

So I was surprised to find that I enjoyed this book. Vega and Cap are logical as, step by step, they attempt to solve the mystery. I expected silly, but it isn’t.

I won this book from Penguin Random House through First Look Book Club. ( )
1 vote techeditor | Jun 1, 2018 |
Two Girls Down by Louisa Luna uses a formula. A down and out ex-cop. An independent enigmatic private investigator. Two missing girls. A formula for a book becomes that for the reason that it works for the most part. This structure leads to a quick, engaging read. However, it is the books that diverge from the formula that become memorable. This one really does not. It is momentarily engaging, but ultimately forgettable.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2018/05/two-girls-down.html

Reviewed for Penguin First to Read program ( )
  njmom3 | May 15, 2018 |
Suspenseful read. A fast book. It seemed like a novel made for a movie. I wonder if this is one in a series. There were lots of references to Alice Vega's past. If it isn't a part of a series the flashbacks didn't make much sense. The two "cops" were a likable enough pair. Even though telling the plot it seems a bit outlandish it was believable in the framework of the book. ( )
  5041 | May 15, 2018 |
Pretty solid thriller, kept me guessing until the end. My only major beef with it, is that you have a hard time telling who is the narrator. It switches constantly; mainly between Vega and Cap (two private investigators), sometimes the mother, and sometimes it inexplicably switches to third person. It was a little odd to say the least. The two private investigators are trying to find two little girls who were abducted out of a parking lot. For Alice Vega, finding missing children is her specialty (although more often than not they're dead by the time she finds them); she flies out from California to help assist in the investigation. Cap on the other-hand, is a local. He used to work with the cops but after a scandal that resulted in a man overdosing and dying in his cell, he resigned and has been working as a private investigator; catching cheating husbands and skips. When Vega enlists him to help with the missing girls, he isn't thrilled, but quickly he gets back into his element and they start putting pieces together and start catching leads that the police aren't. Are the girls alive? Why would anyone abduct them? Are there more missing girls? Overall it was a fast paced read. ( )
  ecataldi | Apr 18, 2018 |

As addictive, cinematic, and binge-worthy a narrative as The Wire and The Killing, Two Girls Down introduces Louisa Luna as a thriller writer of immense talent and verve.
With little to go on, Vega and Cap will go to extraordinary lengths to untangle a dangerous web of lies, false leads, and complex relationships to find the girls before time runs out, and they are gone forever. Amazon

When two young sisters disappear from a strip mall parking lot in a small Pennsylvania town, their devastated mother hires an enigmatic bounty hunter, Alice Vega, to help find the girls. Immediately shut out by a local police department already stretched thin by budget cuts and the growing OxyContin and meth epidemic, Vega enlists the help of a disgraced former cop, Max Caplan. Cap is a man trying to put the scandal of his past behind him and move on, but Vega needs his help to find the girls, and she will not be denied.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,976,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible