The River Knows by Amanda Quick

The River Knows (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Amanda Quick

8822015,145 (3.56)23
Member:katiegorman
Title:The River Knows
Authors:Amanda Quick
Info:Putnam Adult (2007), Hardcover, 368 pages

The River Knows by Amanda Quick (2007)

English (19)  Czech (1)  All languages (20)
A quick lunchtime mystery/romance read. Amanda Quick/Jayne Ann Krentz is usually very funny and fun, but this wasn't quite up to her usual standards. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This was my first Quick book and I really liked it. I listened to the Audio version and I thought the narrator did a very good job also. I'm definitely going to listen to more of Quicks books if they have the same narrator otherwise I will read. Looking forward to seeing what else she has to offer. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
The River Knows - Amanda Quick
audio performance by K. Kellgren
3 stars

This was a mildly entertaining, bodice ripping, regency romance. A feisty, young heroine, ventures into society with an assumed identity to make her reputation as an investigative reporter. Handsome son of the aristocracy is investigating the same criminals. A romantic comedy ensues. Except for the ludicrously predictable and explicit sexual encounters, the mystery reminded me of Deanna Raybourne’s Lady Julia Grey mysteries. Years ago, I enjoyed several of these regency romances by Amanda Quick (aka Jayne Ann Krentz). I enjoyed the campy humor of what seemed a lighthearted spoof of the genre. This book lacked that level of humor. I don’t know if it was because Katherine Kellgren’s performance lacked the comedic delivery of Barbara Rosenblat, or if the writing was simply not that funny.Maybe it was a bit of both. Some things are only funny once, and the formula was a bit tired in this book.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
This was a fun mystery romance. I enjoyed reading it and it often made me chuckle out loud. ( )
  Colereising | Apr 3, 2013 |
Yes, I know - this is one of those authors that I seriously considered not admitting to. Her books are the intellectual equivalent of candyfloss, but every now and then candyfloss is just right. Milton was a bit too hard going on the Isle of Man ferry, a bit too much noise & distractions to really settle into it, whereas this was just right, kept the brain busy enough for the passage to whizz by.

They're usually written fairly well to formula - single society man meets a woman considered unsuitable as a wife (in society's eyes), for some reason falls for her & has to win her round, usually via one or two "romantic interludes". This one features murder, of his previous fiance, and one she committed, all of which are enmeshed together. Some vague historical detail sets them in ~ 19th century, but they're nice and easy, they always end happily - her heros are rather of the dashing variety and I doubt I'd turn them down for eating crisps in bed!

Another re-read. These are always a nice safe bet, you know from the start who will end up together, it's just a question of how. This one has lots of interesting detail, the rational dress movement, the sensation press and the struggles of a woman to be financially secure. Not great literature, but enjoyable, nonetheless. ( )
  Helenliz | Apr 1, 2013 |

Amanda Quickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kellgren, KatherineReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Susan Elizabeth Phillips: great writer and a member of the sisterhood. Here's to friendship.

The first kiss occurred in a dimly lit hallway on the upper floor of Elwin Hastings's grand house. Louisa Bryce never saw it coming. Of course, handsome, wealthy Anthony Stalbridge couldn't possibly have had romantic intentions. The kiss was merely meant to distract the armed guard about to catch the two unlikely sleuths. After all, the only thing these two interlopers have in common is a passionate interest in uncovering the dastardly secrets of Mr. Hastings--a prominent member of Society whom they suspect of murder.

Brought together by their desire for the truth, Anthony and Louisa finally discover the incriminating evidence they're looking for. But bringing Hastings to justice will be more perilous than they anticipate, especially since their thrilling attraction to danger--and, it turns out, to each other--might very well get in the way

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515144363, Mass Market Paperback)

A lady with a secret past.

A man in search of a killer.

They thought they had nothing in common-

until their first kiss.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:51 -0400)

Teaming up with wealthy and handsome Anthony Stalbridge, who suspects prominent society figure Elwin Hastings of hiding dangerous secrets, Louisa Bryce of late-Victorian London investigates her beliefs about Hastings's criminal activities.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,441,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible