Montana Noir by James Grady

Montana Noir

by James Grady (Editor), Keir Graff (Editor)

Other authors: David Abrams (Contributor), Janet Skeslien Charles (Contributor), Debra Magpie Earling (Contributor), Gwen Florio (Contributor), Jamie Ford (Contributor)9 more, James Grady (Contributor), Keir Graff (Contributor), Eric Heidle (Contributor), Walter Kirn (Contributor), Carrie La Seur (Contributor), Sidner Larson (Contributor), Tom McGuane (Contributor), Caroline Patterson (Contributor), Yvonne Seng (Contributor)

Series: Akashic Books Noir Series

2010515,329 (4.18)5

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This collection of darkly themed stories that take place in various parts of Montana was mostly okay. There were a few that I really didn't understand what was happening, even at the end. For the most part, I didn't care for the protagonists of the stories, although I'm pretty sure that's common in noir. I did appreciate learning more about Montana geography and history, particularly the history of the treatment of Native people.
I see quite a few of these noir collections offered on LT Early Reviewers and thought I would try one out. I don't think they're for me. ( )
  EmScape | Sep 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another great anthology from Akashic Noir. Montana would not be the first place to come to mind as the setting for a noir anthology, but the authors of the 14 stories in this book do an amazing and fantastic job of proving that statement wrong. I highly recommend getting this or any other anthology in the noir series. You will not be disappointed. ( )
  NickKnight | Sep 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
You can never go wrong with Thomas McGuane. Another really good Akashic Noir ( )
  charlottem | Sep 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The best part of the book was the Introduction. Except for Tom McGuane's story, I didn't find the other stories too interesting. Some had an interesting premise, but then kind of wound down like a balloon deflating. The noir in most of these stories is about the bleakness of Montana and everyone wishing they were out of there. I've never been to Montana, so I can't speak from experience. ( )
  rhbouchard | Sep 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Montana Noir is a collection of fourteen short stories of the noir variety. They are set in places scattered across the Montana landscape, and having myself spent a bit of time in that state and visiting the general areas of each story I thought they did great work in capturing something distinctly Montanan in their writing. The authors of each story also do a wonderful job in weaving the threads of their particular tale together, drawing the reader in with a story that, once begun, must be read until the end. I greatly enjoyed this collection. ( )
  BradKautz | Sep 1, 2017 |

McGuane, TomContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patterson, CarolineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Seng, YvonneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

James Grady's book Montana Noir is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,498,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible