Montana Noir (Akashic Noir) by James Grady

Montana Noir (Akashic Noir) (edition 2017)

by James Grady (Editor), Keir Graff (Editor)

Member:streamsong
Title:Montana Noir (Akashic Noir)
Authors:James Grady (Editor)
Other authors:Keir Graff (Editor)
Info:Akashic Books (2017), 288 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, short stories, noir, signed, Akashic noir, tbr, Montana

Montana Noir by James Grady (Editor)

Montana Noir is the newest anthology joining the outstanding Akashic Noir series. Edited by James Grady and Keir Graff, it includes fourteen stories from all over Montana. It is organized into four sections that are united by their history. Copper Power features stories in Butte, Helena, and Great Falls, the centers of the mining industry. The Hi-Line follows Highway 2 through the rolling prairies and the “Big Sky”, Custer Country ranges from Billings to the southeastern border near the Bakken, and Rivers Run takes place in the mountainous beautiful range along the Continental Divide. Montana is home to seven reservations and several Indian tribes. Montana is also home to pivotal moments in the Indians Wars, the absolute defeat of General Custer and the surrender of Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce. Montana weaves together many threads of the West’s history, a gold rush, cattle-ranching, sheepherding, extraction industry, tourism industry, Indian wars and oppression, natural beauty and aridity. That gives this anthology a more universally Western aesthetic. One of my favorite stories is Custer’s Last Stand by Debra Magpie Earling. Custer’s Last Stand is a burger joint along the Flathead Lake, nowhere near Custer Country, but there is a “Custer” of sorts, the racist local sheriff who owns the stand and who abuses his power and yes, he meets his “Sitting Bull” in a satisfying confrontation. I also loved Trailer Trash, a story that made me laugh with its send-up of academic writing groups where the narrator’s factual descriptions of his neighbors are dismissed as cliched. This is an excellent collection of noir stories. Noir is not just about mystery and suspense. Noir is living on the edge, transgressing the boundaries, and surviving on the downside of power. Noir is desperate striving, scrabbling for purchase in a society that leaves too many behind. Noir is seeking escape from the world that is indifferent and hostile. There is all of that. Many of the protagonists are on the wrong side of the law, looking for money in all the wrong places. Still, the most disturbing story is Bad Blood by Carrie Le Seur following a lawyer representing various Native Americans who are filing suit for land stolen whose deeds are disputed and missing. The lawyer surprises us in the end, but perhaps it is our naivete that makes the story so shocking. I love the Akashic Noir series and Montana Noir is one of the best in the series. The stories are fast-paced, suspenseful, and capture the essence of Montana. I loved this edition. It is less experimental than others in the series such as Brussels Noir and that is probably one reason I like it so much. I think you can’t go wrong with the Akashic Noir series and it is a far more interesting form of armchair traveling than the hyper-privileged one-upmanship travels of Condé Nast Traveler. Montana Noir will be released September 5th. I received an e-galley from the publisher through NetGalley. Montana Noir at Akashic Books Akashic Noir series James Grady author site Keir Graff author https://tonstantweaderreviews.wordpress.com/2017/08/12/9781617755798/ ( )
  Tonstant.Weader | May 10, 2018 |
My first of the Akashic Noir Series, this one showcasing the dark side of Montana. Interesting stories for sure. I was glad to see two Indigenous (Montana Natives also) authors included in the series. ( )
  Jolynne | Mar 20, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another solid entry into the "[Location Noir] series by Akashic Books. While some of the stories aren't technically "Noir," they're skillfully written and entertaining reads. As usual, Akashic delivers.
  WillyMammoth | Dec 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As my readers know I like setting in fiction and what could be better than the Akashic Books Noir series. I love the Montana scenery and Montana Noir has it all in spades. Mountains, plains, deserts, smelters, mines, oil rigs, small towns with low rent people. It is all there and all wonderful.If Montana intrigues you you will enjoy this book as much as I did. For me the best story in the book was the first one, RED, WHITE AND BUTTE by David Abrams. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Nov 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Montana is the newest addition to the much-loved and geographically varied “noir” series that began with “Brooklyn Noir and continued with such popular titles as “New Orleans Noir”, “Havana Noir” and “Delhi Noir”. Montana!

As a Montana native and resident, I think it is only fitting that Montana take its place among this group of exotic and storied locations. The tourism view of Montana is one of glacier-studded peaks, rivers teeming with trout and buffalo herds grazing all under one “big sky”. But, the crop of Montana authors who skillfully pull back the scenic veneer reveal the seamier side that is of course existent everywhere.

All of these authors, ranging from nationally known writers such as James Grady, Thomas McGuane and Jamie Ford to much-loved emerging writers such as Carrie La Seur, Gwen Florio and Debra Magpie Earling to relatively unknown (to me) writers who are beginning to make their mark. The settings also range, from the grit of Montana’s “cities” (Billings and Butte) to smaller towns along Montana’s “hi-line (in a string running below the Canadian border) to rural settings where a less than robust economy makes life just a little tougher. All get the sense of place just right and provide pithy insights into the less savory aspects of life in Big Sky Country.

So, give yourself a break from Stockholm and Brooklyn and sink into Montana noir. ( )
  jfurshong | Oct 30, 2017 |

Larson, SidnerContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGuane, TomContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patterson, CarolineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Seng, YvonneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Grady and Graff, both Montana natives, masterfully curate this collection of hard-edged Western tales.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

James Grady's book Montana Noir is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,075,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible