His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass, The…

His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber… (edition 2011)

by Philip Pullman, Philip Pullman (Preface), Lucy Hughes-Hallett (Introduction)

Member:Allen_Shirokami
Title:His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass (Everyman's Library (Cloth))
Authors:Philip Pullman
Other authors:Philip Pullman (Preface), Lucy Hughes-Hallett (Introduction)
Info:Everyman's Library (2011), Hardcover, 1144 pages

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman

The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (guurtjesboekenkast, BrileyOC)
    BrileyOC: Both series provide excellent fantastical escapism as well as profound (though different) religious viewpoints.
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Paradise Lost by John Milton (Jannes)
    Jannes: Not for your average young reader of Pullman, I would imagine, but Milton is a great read if you want to get to the stuff that inspired His Dark Materials. It's not as difficult a read as you would imagine, either, if you just give yourself some time to adjust to the style.… (more)
    Foundling by D. M. Cornish (Bitter_Grace)
    Titus Alone / Gormenghast / Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake (Lirmac)
    Lirmac: The gothic world of Lyra's Oxford shares a certain similarity with the miles of mouldering masonry that is Gormenghast.
    Archivist Wasp by Nicole Kornher-Stace (wosret)
    wosret: Take a journey through through the underworld; there's more to reality than you know.
    Dust City by Robert Paul Weston (kaledrina)
    Hollow City by Ransom Riggs (thenothing)
    thenothing: Hollow City could easy be fan fiction of His Dark Materials
    Nation by Terry Pratchett (JonTheNiceGuy)

English (167)  French (3)  German (3)  Vietnamese (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (175)
Read this years ago ... loved it. ( )
  ReneePaule | Jan 23, 2018 |
Philip Pullman's dazzling trilogy is a dark adventure story on one level; on another, it is an epic tale of rebellion, vengeance, religious repression and the power of destiny. While the first book is better than your average children's fantasy adventure, that is still the category it fits into most comfortably. The second book allows Pullman to play with some of the myriad alternative universes on offer, while also setting in motion the drama that unfolds in the complex, daring third book. Pullman's scope is magnificent and the trilogy has a final battle to rival anything we've seen in the cinema. Powerful, philosophical and deeply satisfying. ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Dec 8, 2017 |
These books are amazing, The Golden Compass was the fist book that ever made me cry. This set of books is giant and it was the first "big book" that I ever read. I was just going to read the first one but I loved it so much that I just kept on reading. ( )
  Samantha_D | Jul 16, 2017 |
This is one of my favorite trilogies in any genre, for any age level. The characters and worlds created by Pullman are amazing, and each book adds new elements to draw the reader in further. While I love these books, what's more important is that students--particularly at the middle and high school levels--also love them; in fact, a student introduced me to them. These books are wonderful to engage reluctant readers and to get them interested in an extended story-line. ( )
  mikeknoth | Jul 14, 2017 |
For young readers and old, I recommend this book to all. Through Pullman's story, I found the words I needed to form my personal philosophical views. I started to think of the world differently due to the symbolism and effective storytelling of the author. Instead of looking out, I looked in. I thought small as well as big. In some ways, it was similar to the first time I took psychedelics; the concepts of the soul, deities, reality were redefined during the reading of this trilogy. I can only look back on these books and smile because while the story was wonderful, the impact was everlasting. ( )
  SillyAmericana | Jun 27, 2017 |

Philip Pullmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mullen, DouglasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Targete, Jean PierreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Contains

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

The Science of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials by Mary Gribbin

The Magical Worlds of Philip Pullman: A Treasury of Fascinating Facts by David Colbert

The World of the Golden Compass: The Otherworldly Ride Continues by Scott Westerfeld

Navigating The Golden Compass: Religion, Science & Daemonology in Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials by Glenn Yeffeth

For The Golden Compass:

Into this wild abyss,
The womb of nature and perhaps her grave,
Of neither sea, nor shore, nor air, nor fire,
But all these in their pregnant causes mixed
Confusedly, and which thus must ever fight,
Unless the almighty maker them ordain
His dark materials to create more worlds,
Into this wild abyss the wary fiend
Stood on the brink of hell and looked a while,
Pondering his voyage...

--John Milton, Paradise Lost, Book II

For The Amber Spyglass:

The morning comes, the night decays, the watchmen leave their stations;
The grave is burst, the spices shed, the linen wrapped up;
The bones of death, the cov'ring clay, the sinews shrunk & dry'd
Reviving shake, inspiring move, breathing, awakening,
Spring like redeemed captives when their bonds & bars are burst,
Let the slave grinding at the mill run out into the field,
Let him look up into the heavens & laugh in the bright air;
Let the inchained soul, shut up in darkness and in sighing,
Whose face has never seen a smile in thirty weary years,
Rise and look out; his chains are loose, his dungeon doors are open;
And let his wife and children return from the oppressor's scourge.
They look behind at every step & believe it is a dream,
Singing: "The Sun has left his blackness & has found a fresher morning,
And the fair Moon rejoices in the clear & cloudless night;
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease."

--from "America: A Prophecy" by William Blake

O stars,
isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? Doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?

--from "The Third Elegy" by Rainer Maria Rilke, translated by Stephen Mitchell

Fine vapors escape from whatever is doing the living.
The night is cold and delicate and full of angels
Pounding down the living. The factories are all lit up,
The chime goes unheard.
We are together at last, though far apart.

--from "The Ecclesiast" by John Ashbery
Lyra and her daemon moved through the darkening hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen. (Northern lights)
Will tugged at his mother's hand and said, "Come on, come on..." (The subtle knife)
In a valley shaded with rhododendrons, close to the snow line, where a stream milky with melt-water splashed and where doves and linnets flew among the immense pines, lay a cave, half-hidden by the crag above and the stiff heavy leaves that clustered below. (The amber spyglass)
This work is all three books (Northern Lights aka The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass) in one volume.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440238609, Mass Market Paperback)

In the epic trilogy His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman unlocks the door to worlds parallel to our own. Dæmons and winged creatures live side by side with humans, and a mysterious entity called Dust just might have the power to unite the universes--if it isn't destroyed first. The three books in Pullman's heroic fantasy series, published as mass-market paperbacks with new covers, are united here in one boxed set that includes The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. Join Lyra, Pantalaimon, Will, and the rest as they embark on the most breathtaking, heartbreaking adventure of their lives. The fate of the universe is in their hands. (Ages 13 and older)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:21 -0400)

Accompanied by her daemon, Lyra Belacqua sets out to prevent her best friend and other kidnapped children from becoming the subject of gruesome experiments in the Far North.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,616,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible