Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance: A…

Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Ruth Emmie Lang (Author)

Member:Autumnice
Title:Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance: A Novel
Authors:Ruth Emmie Lang (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2017), 352 pages

Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance: A Novel by Ruth Emmie Lang

Weylyn Grey was born in a freak snowstorm and orphaned in another. He spent most of his childhood living with wolves. The weather appears to respond to his emotions, plants grow unnaturally fast around him, and he has a rapport with animals of all kinds. He's a weird, funny, lonely guy.

Stories about people with special, mystical powers aren't anything new, but there's something about this one, maybe the way it's written in the voices of the people whose lives he wanders in and out of, that makes it feel fairly fresh. Certainly Weylyn's an interesting character, and the way we see him in different moments in his life through others' eyes makes him feel a little more mysterious and intriguing. He's also quite likeable, and the novel is, too, with a sense of magical possibilities and a sweet low-key love story.

It's not perfect; it's a debut novel and I think that does show. There's a slightly off turn of phrase here and there, a (non-magical) plot point or two that that's not quite convincing. There's also an annoying moment where it goes very briefly into "science is awful because it ruins wonder, and it's a virtue to believe in magic without proof!" territory, something I take strong exception to. Fortunately, that doesn't remotely dominate the story, though and mostly it's just a very pleasant read. ( )
  bragan | Jul 10, 2018 |
Told through the eyes of people he meets, this is the story of Weylyn Grey, a possessor of unsual powers who was raised by wolves. As well as being a novel of a mystical man, it is also a tale of love lost and found. For me it was an enjoyable read and it flowed nicely, even though it jumped back and and forth through time from the present to the past and was told from various viewpoints. Looking forward to more from this author. ( )
  Jane-Phillips | May 10, 2018 |
Weylyn Grey has powers he doesn’t understand and can’t control. He can make hurricanes start up instantly, but has some difficulty stopping them; he can communicate with animals; he can make flowers and trees sprout up instantly and convince bees to overproduce honey. But what he can’t do is understand how to control these powers, often a result of his emotional state, and can’t ensure that his spontaneous climate outbursts don’t hurt the ones he loves.

Weylyn grew up as a lone boy in a wolf pack after his parents died in a freak blizzard. He’s blamed himself for their deaths, and this early trauma has guided his future relationships. Many people come in to Weylyn’s life not quite understanding the mysterious, inexplicable events that seem to occur when he’s around. The light-heartedness and charm of this book reminded me of The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs, which my daughter and I read together for a school project, but Beasts offers a little more substance for an adult reader.

Beasts is a story of innocence and love; it’s charming and full of magical imagery. I enjoyed reading it, but it never got my heart racing. It’s more of a gentle stroll of a story. One of the many positive aspects of this book is that it would be enjoyable for all ages of readers. It’s complicated and deep enough for an adult audience, but also full of enough wonder and magic for younger readers (middle school and above).

Many thanks to Ruth Emmie Lang for the advance reader copy! ( )
  ErickaS | May 2, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this audiobook via #LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review.

What an interesting concept for a book, and I felt it was executed very well! Sadly, I wish more story was devoted to Weylyn's life, his powers, how he got his powers, etc.

This should have been a more drawn out series; there was enough intrigue to spread throughout multiple books!!! ( )
  KWadyko | Apr 10, 2018 |
You MUST go into this book knowing that it is full of magic! It is a wonderful story about the people that we meet and what we leave them with.

While this book is not my usual cup of tea, I was entertained. I am very happy that I read this book and hope that you will be, too.

My thanks to netgalley and St Martin's Press for this advanced readers copy. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |

Ruth Emmie Langprimary authorall editionscalculated
Berkrot, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Campbell, DannyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gibbings, ElizabethCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goodeve, PiperNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Raised by wolves after being orphaned in childhood, Weylyn Grey, a man with astonishing powers, is evaluated by the people who care or wonder about him, including a woman who falls in love with him after he saves her from an angry wolf.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Ruth Emmie Lang's book Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,570,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible