dismiss

Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire

Beneath the Sugar Sky

by Seanan McGuire

Series: Wayward Children (3)

Beneath the Sugar Sky returns to Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children. At this magical boarding school, children who have experienced fantasy adventures are reintroduced to the "real" world. Sumi died years before her prophesied daughter Rini could be born. Rini was born anyway, and now she's trying to bring her mother back from a world without magic.… (more)

Re-Read 1/4/20:

Gotta love it when you can break causality. Sometimes, going to a batshit insane reality is the smart move. :)

Original Review:

Modern fairy tales. Gotta love them, especially when they take twelve core hearts and totally run with them, allowing an almost meta world-building full of magical doors taking the young at heart (or obsessional) directly to their best dreamland. :)

This third book in the Wayward Children novellas doesn't disappoint. It's Candy Crush land and Mermaids, with a little mix of the skeletal dead and some time travel. Everything a fantasy lover needs, right? Right!

And I think I liked this one a bit more than book 2. :) It had more of the characters I loved and better emphasis on what I loved the most in the first book: the doors and the obsession and the quirk. :)

As I said, it's a fully modern fairy tale with the essence of fairies spiriting away little children, adults losing the magic, and the whole idea that wanting something hard enough or just BELIEVING hard enough will bring you right where you need to be. :) It's quite pretty, but don't start assuming this is totally light. It's not. It's quite dark at times. :)

In other words, fantastic! Seanan always satisfies. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
While **Beneath the Sugar Sky** by *Seanan McGuire* was yet another pleasant entry in the *Wayward Children* series, it didn't grab me nearly as much as the previous novellas. Maybe it's just that I'm not into Candyland, or that of the troupe of children on the rescue mission I only really liked half (and felt for those two or three). The whole story just felt a bit flat, and I felt that the main character was more told than shown, and due to this and her tendency to inaction, she felt rather pale. ( )
  _rixx_ | May 24, 2020 |
In this book we get to see more of the other worlds where the doorways go. I won't go into which ones we visit, but given both the title and the subject, it's safe to admit that we spend a nice chunk of time in Confection, Sumi's world. It was really neat to see how things worked there, and how it's Nonsense and yet has some rules to it. (Granted, the rules are mostly baking-style rules... still.)

Anyway, I really enjoy this series, even if the installments are on the short side. The world McGuire has created is fascinating, and I'd love to see more of it. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
This is a short, enjoyable addition to the Wayward Children series. This story wasn't as dark as the first two, being an adventure tale in Candyland. I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first two. The characters weren't as fleshed out as the previous stories; the one character was very annoying (if the Drowned Girl wasn't already drowned, I would drown her!); and the portals, which were so hard to pass through in previous books, were ridiculously easy to travel through in this one. However, the book still made for an entertaining afternoon diversion. ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |
In the world of the Wayward Children, sometimes the most impossible and improbable solution is the one you need. After all, when Rini lands in the turtle pond dressed in frosting, missing two fingers, and demanding to see her dead mother, is there really anything else the children can do? The children must start a new quest, one that will take them through the doors of both logical and nonsense worlds. They are in a race against the clock to resurrect Sumi and save her disappearing daughter.

Beneath the Sugar Sky will let you revisit old friends and learn the backstories of some of the original children. From start to finish, you’ll be engaged in the beautiful world-building Seanan McGuire portrays in each of these novels. And after two books of logical worlds, this new installment of the Wayward Children will show you what a nonsense world is all about.

You’ll visit a world where the sea is made of soda, the sky is filled with candy, and the clothes are made from pastries and chocolate. The trees are filled with cake pops and cookies, and you’ll never gain a pound eating it all. The rules of logic don’t exist, and when the logical children of the school enter a nonsense world, they will have to fight against their instincts and reasoning. If they think too hard about the nonsense, the world will cast them out and all will be lost.

Another fantastic installment in the Wayward Children series. This one was just as creative as the previous two books, and while it wasn’t as dark, the sense of tension and desperate hope was still there. I can’t get enough of this series! ( )
1 vote Letora | Jan 22, 2020 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cai, RovinaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dockrey, MichelleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sugar, flour, and cinnamon won't make a house a home, / So bake your walls of gingerbread and sweeten them with bone. / Eggs and milk and whipping cream, butter in the churn, / Bake our queen a castle in the hopes that she'll return. -Children's Clapping Rhyme, Confection
For Midori, whose doorway is waiting
Children have always tumbled down rabbit holes, fallen through mirrors, been swept away by unseasonal floods or carried off by tornadoes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,643,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible