Come to Dust by Bracken MacLeod

Come to Dust (2017)

by Bracken MacLeod

Suffer the Children by Craig Dilouie (sturlington)
    sturlington: Suffer the Children is a similar story, but better executed, in my opinion.

For some unexplained reason, dead children come back to life possessing vampiric-style powers in this horror novel. The protagonist and his resurrected niece find themselves first kidnapped and then on the run from a Christian doom cult trying to eradicate all the "deadophiles."

I tried to read MacLeod's previous novel, Stranded, but I found his writing clumsy and ham-handed. I did finish this one, but not with an improved opinion of the writing. The story progresses quite rigidly from one plot point to another, without bothering much to provide broader context for this phenomenon, and the theme of prejudice is hammered home unrelentingly but not really treated with a lot of thought. I mean, these undead kids are creepy and dangerous, and we're given no real reason to sympathize with them other than they're little kids who shouldn't have died. Earlier in the year, I read Suffer the Children, which treats a similar premise with more depth and more real horror. ( )
  sturlington | Oct 26, 2017 |
Review copy

Last year, I got to read Bracken MacLeod's Stranded, sixteen crew members of the Arctic Promise who become ice bound under strange circumstances. If you haven't read it, you should. It's one of 2016's better reads.

Bracken's new release, Come To Dust, is even better. Children die. It's horrible when it happens, but we read about or hear about such tragedy every day.

Bracken beautifully captures the grief of laying a child to rest...

"Although green AstroTurf had been draped down to cover the bare earth sides of the hole, there was no imaginable way to disguise the fact that they were lowering a child into a grave. There was nothing loud enough to dispel the silence of a dead child."

Mitch LeRoux is taking steps to get his life back on track after a stint in prison. He's not just doing it for himself, but also for his niece, Sophie, who's been his ward ever since his sister took off with her drummer boyfriend.

I'm pretty sure you can see that things are not going to go well for Mitch, but that's not what Come To Dust is about.

The story unfolds at a blistering pace. I won't reveal all of its secrets. Those are best discovered in the process of reading the book, which I hope you'll do.

This is a powerful story with highs and lows and more than a few surprises. In many ways, Come To Dust is about second chances. It also shines a light on ignorance, and fear of those who are different. Very much a tale of and for the times in which we live.

Highly recommended.

Come To Dust is published by Trepidatio Publishing, a division of Journalstone, and is available in both paperback and e-book formats.

From the author's bio - Bracken MacLeod is the author of the novels Mountain Home and Stranded. His short fiction has appeared in several magazines and anthologies, including LampLight, ThugLit, and Splatterpunk, and has been collected in 13 Views of the Suicide Woods. He lives outside of Boston with his wife and son, where he is at work on his next novel. ( )
  FrankErrington | Jun 23, 2017 |
For BOB BOOTH, sleep well, Papa Necon
The cool earth of the grave in front of them was the only place the August heat couldn't penetrate, but no one who would benefit from the shade would be going down into it.

Dead children rise up.
Living adults quake in fear,
but love conquers all.
(yoyogod)

Bracken MacLeod is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,091,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible