dismiss

The Notebook (1996)

by Nicholas Sparks

Scenes from the past and a collection of intensely personal letters tell the story of a long married couple now confined to a nursing home.
Recently added byArina40, agkean94, gigidarcy, Emily22ward, private library, totsgram, ksoni1, maar1rin199x
    Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks (krizia_lazaro)
    Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks (khoov00)
    The Pact by Jodi Picoult (Headinherbooks_27)
    The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks (Anonymous user)
    Where the River Ends by Charles Martin (CoverLoverBookReview)
    CoverLoverBookReview: Charles Martin's writing style is similar to Nicholas Sparks'. Both display a great love story that stands the tests of hardships and time.
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (pinkkrypto)
    pinkkrypto: An amazing love story. Incredibly touching.
    Waiting For The Rain by mjeanpike (Norabee)
    Norabee: This is a truly beautiful love story that any fan of romance would love, but if you liked elements of The Notebook, you will definitely love this one - highly recommended
    On Golden Pond: A Play by Ernest Thompson (TheLittlePhrase)
    One Summer by David Baldacci (JenniferRobb)

English (265)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (275)
Incredible love story about Noah and Allie and how they deal with her decline into Alzheimers ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
I read this book because I was forced to not because i wanted to. But this book is set up pretty nicely. It starts off with an elderly man reading aal book called "The notebook" to his wife Allison or "Allie" Now this couple is pretty old and at first, Allie doesn't seem to know who duke is. Or why she was there in the first part. But as the story continues it slowly fades into a scene in the 1940 and Allie and this man named Duke meet. Eventually, they fall in love but duke joined the army. (Also one thing to note is that Allie's aunt does not like duke" But duke goes off to war and what it appears is that Duke doesnt send Allie any letters. But what really happened was that allies’ aunt keeps the letters from getting to Allie. So then allie meets Noah, now noah is this handsome really slick man. But fast forwards Noah and Allie fall in love but duke comes back and is like "did you get my letters? And Allie doesnt know anything about these letters. So then Duke explains and they end up getting married which brings us back to the old folks home where Duke is reading Allie this story in hopes to bring her memory back because she is suffering from Altheimer.

This book made me cry. It just made me cry and towards the end when i figured it out i cried even harder. I would recomemnd this to anybody who wants to cry a lot and have there hearts melted. Although its not the funniest or coolest it will catch you in your feelings. In my opinion 4/5 because it was long and took a while to process. ( )
  CKelly.ELA4 | Oct 22, 2019 |
This over-the-top Southern romance is perfect for anyone needing a good cry on a rainy afternoon. The story of Noah and Allie has become a modern classic, both in book and film formats.

I appreciate that Noah tells the love story between him and his beloved Allie, for he is a sympathetic, reliable narrator. He gives just enough information to keep the reader interested and drops delicious hints to keep us reading.

The Notebook is also a textbook example of how Alzheimer’s affects not only the individual but also the entire family and the health care system. For this reason alone, it is not to be ignored.

When I obtained my copy of Sparks’ book, I found I enjoyed the novel much more than the ubiquitous movie, which seems to be on television several times each week. I still enjoy both forms of The Notebook, depending on my frame of mind.

I hardly believe The Notebook is destined to go down in history as great literature, but it is a sweet love story and a wonderful guilty pleasure. ( )
  tluneau | Oct 20, 2019 |
I hate Nicholas Sparks. ( )
  nuklearv | Sep 5, 2019 |
Well into the book I thought I was reading a romance, shallow but enjoyable--- a fun quick read. Then there was a little drama, a difficult choice had to be made. And the writer was clever about suspending outcomes. But the last third or so of the book was embedded in the consciousness of an 80 year-old caring for some deep into Alzheimers, and with plenty of his own problems. It became a very slow moving life of the mind, sometimes with whole page descriptions of a physically painful few seconds. Suddenly I was admiring the courage and skill of the writer. I did read this book straight through! ( )
  jkennedybalto | May 16, 2019 |
This book is dedicated with love to Cathy, my wife and my friend.
Who am I? And how, I wonder, will this story end?
I am nothing special; of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
This is the original novel. Do not combine with the film.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,097,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible