The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

The Notebook (original 1996; edition 2004)

by Nicholas Sparks

Member:a.plante
Title:The Notebook
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Warner Books (2004), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 239 pages

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks (1996)

Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks (krizia_lazaro)
    Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks (khoov00)
    The Pact by Jodi Picoult (nu-bibliophile)
    The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks (Anonymous user)
    Where the River Ends by Charles Martin (Nicnac63)
    Nicnac63: Charles Martin's writing style is similar to Nicholas Sparks'. Both display a great love story that stands the tests of hardships and time.
    Waiting For The Rain by mjeanpike (Norabee)
    Norabee: This is a truly beautiful love story that any fan of romance would love, but if you liked elements of The Notebook, you will definitely love this one - highly recommended
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (pinkkrypto)
    pinkkrypto: An amazing love story. Incredibly touching.
    One Summer by David Baldacci (JenniferRobb)

I did not like this movie, I am probably one of the few. It was the ONLY Sparks movie I did not like. Now I really tried to like this book. It wasn’t bad but I felt like the ending was wayyyy to cliché. One thing I was really not expecting and did not like too much was how damn cheesy most of the lines were. I’m not talking a few I’m talking a TON of lines that were just way too cheesy for me and I love romance. It seems to jump around a lot and I really just thought the whole thing was a little to far fetched for my liking. Allie was annoying and Noah was annoying as well to me. I couldn’t grasp their chemistry for the life of me. ( )
  nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |
Audiobook read by Barry Bostwick.

An elderly man recalls how he met his wife, writing the couple’s story in a notebook and reading sections to his wife, who is in a nursing home with dementia.

Maudlin. Simplistic. Wooden dialogue. Cardboard characters. On the plus side, I did like the depiction of how devoted Noah was to Allie as she is basically lost to him via dementia. All in all, however, I was bored and found myself rolling my eyes frequently. Just not my cup of tea. Thank heavens it’s a fast read (or listen).

Barry Bostwick does a good job of voicing the audio in that he sets a good pace, enunciates clearly, and gives credible voices to the characters. ( )
  BookConcierge | Aug 25, 2018 |
Rating [book: The Notebook] this low is probably an unforgivable act for some. I know the following this book, and the film, have. I know it's meant to be a classic touching tearjerker, that it's meant to evoke all sorts of feelings. For me, from start to finish, it only evoked annoyance and anger. This is just... not a book I can get behind for a myriad of reasons.

[book: The Notebook] is two stories in one. One story is that of Noah as he reads the eponymous notebook to his wife in the hospice they are now living in. The other is the story within the notebook - that of their lives together, fraught with the drama one normally expects from a romance. The first of my problems with this book was the fact that throughout it all Allie was always the cheater, the one to blame. Allie was the one who dated him even though she had a boyfriend, who cheated on her fiance later to be with him. Allie was the one who never mailed the letters, etc. etc. Not to mention Allie never slept with any other man, but didn't ask and said it was fine if Noah slept with other women. That just.. rubbed me the wrong way.

My other trouble with the book is that Alzheimer's doesn't work the way it is presented as working. Alzheimer's isn't like an amnesia, it is far more like it was described during the sundowning episodes. In early days, yes, there can be moments of clarity. As advanced as it was described as being in the book, however... That clarity is gone. She wouldn't remember the story the whole day, she wouldn't necessarily remember it even as it was being told. The unrealistic depiction, her ability to even handle cutlery - these are a lie that is frankly insulting to people who have family members going through the illness. Many of us would trade anything for the moments of clarity shown in the book, but it just isn't there, regardless of the strength of the relationship.

That just isn't right. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I usually do not read love stories, but with all the hype I had to give it A try. I loved this book. I probably will not read another book in the genre again, but I did love this book. I cried all the way through. ( )
  Kristinah | May 8, 2018 |
I found the story to be confusing when the author shifted from past to present to past. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
This book is dedicated with love to Cathy, my wife and my friend.
Who am I? And how, I wonder, will this story end?
I am nothing special; of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
This is the original novel. Do not combine with the film.

An elderly lady with Alzheimer's disease listens to her old diaries that speak of the young love she has long forgotten.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,541,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible