Turtles All the Way Down (Signed Edition) by…

Turtles All the Way Down (Signed Edition) (edition 2017)

by John Green (Author)

Member:alwright1
Title:Turtles All the Way Down (Signed Edition)
Authors:John Green (Author)
Info:Dutton Books for Young Readers (2017), Edition: Limited Signed ed., 304 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:fiction, young adult, signed, read in 2017

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (chwiggy)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (MarchingBandMan)
    MarchingBandMan: The other quasi-existentialist John Green book. Miles Halter deals with existentialism/nihilism in a different way than Aza Holmes, yet this earlier, rawer YA novel expounds on similar themes.
    Paper Towns by John Green (chwiggy)

English (89)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (94)
As expected John Green really delivers on quality young adult stories. This book really just drew me in and left me yearning to read more when I put it down. The insight into the kind of mental illness that really is tightly wound with your sense of self, was completely fascinating and enlightening. I loved how the text it self led the reader into the feelings of anxiety and panic so seamlessly, several times my breathing picked up in time with my reading. And on top of all this of course a deeply emotional story, that nailed so many aspects of the troubles and fears of growing up that I just had to stop and take a breath sometimes. A perfect literary end to my year. ( )
  marie2830 | Sep 2, 2018 |
We follow Aza, a teenager with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and her friend Daisy as they stumble upon the mystery of the missing billionaire in their town. Russell Pickett is missing and Aza and Daisy want to solve the mystery but there is one problem: Russell is Davis' father - a boy who Aza has known since she was a kid but never grew close too - and she struggles with her desire to earn the cash reward for finding the fugitive man and her feelings toward Davis and his younger brother as she unravels the mysterious circumstances that surround the family.

I wasn't sure if I would like this book to begin with, but then I loved The Fault in Our Stars and decided to give it a shot - I am so glad that I did! Aza is a deeply troubled and distraught character but that's what makes her real. She has real problems and real concerns that arise from every day situations that life throws at her, and her struggle to survive with OCD is as much part of the story as the actual story of finding the missing father.

I was sucked into the book and spit back out a mess. I felt for Aza - I don't have OCD but her OCD triggered my anxiety and made me feel for her. I felt for her friends Daisy and Davis; I felt for her mom and her counselor who want to help her; and I felt for John Green as he poured so much of his own demons into this book.

If you want something different, something not entirely happy or sad, then pick this one up. But prepare yourself for the feels and then go read The Fault in Our Stars for some more emotional torture! ( )
  christianeyoungberg | Aug 30, 2018 |
I wonder what John Green was like as a teenager. In his latest novel, Turtles All the Way Down, Green gives us an autobiographical peek into his own psyche through his character’s internal and external dialogs. I don’t know very many 16-year-olds that casually throw around references to the Tempest and Descartes, classic blues and Black Flag. I would have yearned to join their group when I was a teen (but doubt I would have been clever enough). Still, Green employs his typical witty banter and snarky asides to flesh out the ambiguous relationships between characters, making them acceptably realistic. He develops his narrator, Aza Holmes, as a conduit for a series of philosophical musings that do not resemble any exchanges ever overheard in the average High School. The fact that she is such an absorbing creation is mostly due to Green’s unique personal insight into Obsessive Compulsion Disorder (OCD). Aza’s struggles and dissociation are so genuine because it mirrors his own experience. It is not difficult to recognize the typical self-consciousness and emotional tsunami that are common among “cool nerd” teens. To compound this, Aza cannot escape her own constant self-monitoring, compulsions and resulting shame. She attempts to forge connections with her friends and retain a semblance of normalcy as she battles an illness that is often all-encompassing. This book would satisfy Green’s typical fans and may attract some new ones to his work as well. ( )
  jnmegan | Jul 31, 2018 |
I know a couple of OCD sufferers and this book depicts very well how they and those around them struggle with the condition. I only wish Green had trusted in his ability to write an engaging character study of a person with OCD and had not inserted a half-hearted and half-baked storyline about a missing billionaire, his lizard and his sons. I assume that crap is intended to make the book more attractive for a movie option. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
this was an excellent, shaking portrayal of aza's anxiety and OCD. it really was.
but ultimately, this book lacks everything else that should make it a good one. there's no real story. the characters are two-dimensional and i didn't care about them even though i really tried. the writing is philosophical to the point of pretentiousness.
this is a john green book with a john green story and john green characters. i expected all of this, but i was still hoping for more: for a change.
and here's what's possibly the worst part of it all: the john green formula always involves straight, white, mostly well-off kids, and that's not gonna change. so here we have the currently biggest YA author with a massive following, read by teens across the globe, and he's unable to represent them diversely. this, to me, is just unacceptable. ( )
  nimbon | Jul 24, 2018 |
Man can do what he wills, but he cannot will what he wills. -Arthur Schopenhauer
To Henry and Alice
At the time I first realized I might be fictional, my weekdays were spent at a publicly funded institution on the north side of Indianapolis called White River High School, where I was required to eat lunch at a particular time -- between 12:37 P.M. and 1:14 P.M. -- by forces so much large than myself that I couldn't even begin to identify them.
No one ever says goodbye unless they want to see you again.

It all begins with a fugitive billionaire and the promise of a cash reward. Turtles All the Way Down is about lifelong friendship, the intimacy of an unexpected reunion, Star Wars fan fiction, and tuatara. But at its heart is Aza Holmes, a young woman navigating daily existence within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,978,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible