A Casualty of War by Charles Todd

A Casualty of War

by Charles Todd

Series: Bess Crawford (9)

I had no idea that this was part of a series and it definitely was a book you could listen to/read on its own. The CD was wonderful listening---read by Rosalyn Landor. ( )
  nyiper | May 19, 2018 |
A very enjoyable read. A wonderful escape. Good mystery, engaging characters, lovely sense of place. Not up to the standard of Jacqueline Winspear, but a close runner up. I'm looking forward to the next one. ( )
  njcur | May 1, 2018 |
I'm not quite sure what was going on in the copy I was reading. Bess is transfered to help in a another hospital in Chapter 1. Chapter 2 at the beginning she is leaving Paris going back to that hospital after recovering from her wounds. When and where did she get wounded ? She was told Captain Travis committed suicide. next thing you know she is told he can't be found. She not even questioning his supposedly suicide. No stars I give up. Maybe the editor or the mother son writing team better get together. I have enjoyed all of their other books.
  cindysprocket | Jan 31, 2018 |
There was too much traipsing about, back and forth, back and forth, and trying to keep the players and their names straight was tiring. ( )
  kimkimkim | Jan 17, 2018 |
2017, Harper Audio, Read by Rosalyn Landor

Publisher’s Summary: adapted from Audible.com
Though the Great War is nearing its end, the fighting rages on. While waiting for transport back to her post, Bess Crawford meets Captain Alan Travis from the island of Barbados. Later, when he's brought into her forward aid station disoriented from a head wound, Bess is alarmed that he believes his distant English cousin, Lieutenant James Travis, shot him. Then the captain is brought back to the aid station with a more severe wound, once more angrily denouncing the lieutenant as a killer. But when it appears that James Travis couldn't have shot him, the captain's sanity is questioned. Still, Bess wonders how such an experienced officer could be so wrong.

My Review:
“The war took most of England's young men and buried them in foreign soil …”

Can’t be sure I’ve got that quote exact as I was walking and listening when I heard it – but I do remember being struck by its power and its simplicity.

I was immediately intrigued with A Casualty of War opening, as it did, with the insistence of Captain Alan Travis that he’d been deliberately shot by a cousin on the battlefield – not once, but twice. As the story progresses, Bess and Simon Brandon travel to Suffolk, to learn more about the relationship between the two cousins. The Travis family matriarch is an angry, mistrustful woman, who claims to be acting as her husband would have wished, and in the best interests of her deceased son James – but this is a family with an acrimonious past. Todd complicates the plot with local crimes, including murder. Expectedly, it is Bess and Simon – not local law officers – who unravel the case.

Have enjoyed this series, and Landor’s narration has been perfect throughout. Not sure whether Todd continues to write further installments, but I will watch for same. ( )
  lit_chick | Jan 15, 2018 |

Charles Toddprimary authorall editionscalculated
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Caring for an unstable soldier who believes his distant cousin is responsible for his injuries, battlefield nurse Bess Crawford investigates the patient's claims, only to find herself in unexpected danger.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,985,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible