The Mabinogi by Matthew Francis

The Mabinogi (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Matthew Francis

Member:konallis
Title:The Mabinogi
Authors:Matthew Francis
Info:London : Faber & Faber, 2017.
Tags:poetry, mythology & folklore, retelling, read 2018

The Mabinogi by Matthew Francis (2017)

A superb poetic retelling of the Four Branches of the Mabinogi.

In his introduction, Francis says that he's streamlined and slightly reorganised the stories to fit his verse and to promote a greater sense of narrative flow than is present in the originals. Something of a concern before I read the poem itself, but in making these changes to the stories he has retained both their charm and their gnomic otherworldliness.

I always feel grounded when I read the Mabinogi, despite the fantastical, magical and unearthly elements. The stories seem so rooted in the soil, growing organically out of the landscape. They are simultaneously earthy, earthly and cthonic, linking the realm of the everyday to the mystical and numinous worlds of the unconscious. Francis has captured that in his poems. ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Aug 6, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this. I struggle to like reading myth and legend in general, and have even less parience with most film verisons. But this verison of The Mabinogi, like me, loves the vitality of language, and is pithy and to the point. It covers the first four branches of "The Mabinogion", successfully editted to cohere these into a whole greater than the sum of their parts. Exactly what I needed, this does for The Mabinogi what Seamus Heaney did for Beowulf. ( )
1 vote rrmmff2000 | Jun 25, 2017 |

Is an adaptation of

Here at the turn of the leaf a horseman is riding
through the space between one world and another,
warm in his company of noises;
hoofs, hornsqueals, hound- and man-cries.
This is a modern verse adaptation of the Four Branches of the Mabinogi. Please do not combine with other versions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,600,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible