Blink: The Power of Thinking Without…

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

by Malcolm Gladwell

Recently added bypan0ramix, LCC_Library, private library, Razinha, bness2, leblanc.robyn, Jamichuk, veronikellymars
Legacy LibrariesDavid Foster Wallace

English (315)  Dutch (2)  Romanian (1)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (322)
Seems like this was written with the end determined first and then he searched for things to back it up. One prevalent theme kept surfacing - definitive conclusion based on entirely subjective observations. It is interesting that Gladwell argues both sides of the coin he offers. Academic fail. Not recommended. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
This was a fun book. The major premise is that some of the best decisions we make are the instant, intuitive type of decisions (what Gladwell calls 'Thinslicing'). But these intuitive decisions are informed by experience, education, and personal prejudice, and having appropriate 'white space' to process information. Thus Gladwell's remedy is not as simple as trust your gut. He seems to be saying become the type of person who can trust their gut (though he never quite says this). I liked this book a lot and probably will read one of his other ones. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
How do we think without thinking, seem to make choices in an instant--in the blink of an eye--that actually aren't as simple as they seem? Gladwell explores the interesting instincts of the human mind.
  mcmlsbookbutler | May 4, 2017 |
wow. just wow. that is really all I can say. I ate this book up. it was a fast, easy, thrilling read that left me guessing up to the end. the subtitle talked of a twist and what a twist it was. at one point, I guessed what the twist was but pushed it aside sure I was wrong.

Tori's daughter Evie has vanished and even Tori is off the suspect list. She wasn't the best mom but she loved her daughter, moving to a new neighborhood and getting a new job in order to support her young daughter. A teacher's aide takes the girl under her wings. One of Tori's coworkers is easily angered by her actions. Then Evie is gone. For 3 years her daughter is missing.

Interspliced with a woman who is in a coma, Blink tells a tale that most parents hope they never have to live through, the disappearance of their child. Will Evie be returned? Who can Tori trust? there are so many suspects in the disappearance of Evie. who did it? why? why is someone in a vegetative state? all will be answered...eventually. ( )
  jnoble82 | Mar 20, 2017 |
Gladwell is good in giving examples of how Blink has worked, but weak in drawing out the principles behind them. Like his other books, a good read but difficult to apply. ( )
  siok | Feb 4, 2017 |
Beyond question, Gladwell has succeeded in his avowed aim. Though perhaps less immediately seductive than the title and theme of The Tipping Point, Blink satisfies and gratifies.

If you want to trust my snap judgment, buy this book: you'll be delighted. If you want to trust my more reflective second judgment, buy it: you'll be delighted but frustrated, troubled and left wanting more.

"Blink" brims with surprising insights about our world and ourselves, ideas that you'll have a hard time getting out of your head, things you'll itch to share with all your friends.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Farhad Manjoo (Jan 13, 2005)

You can't judge a book by its cover. But Gladwell had me at hello — and kept me hooked to the final page.

As a researcher, Gladwell doesn't break much new ground. But he's talented at popularizing others' research. He's a clever storyteller who synthesizes and translates the work of psychologists, market researchers and criminologists.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (Jan 10, 2005)

Malcolm Gladwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gladwell, MalcolmNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Joyce and Graham Gladwell
In September of 1983, an art dealer by the name of Gianfranco Becchina approached the J. Paul Getty Museum in California. (Introduction)
Some years ago, a young couple came to the University of Washington to visit the laboratory of a psychologist named John Gottman.
"We have come to confuse information with understanding."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316010669, Paperback)

Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant. Gladwell, the best-selling author of The Tipping Point, campaigns for snap judgments and mind reading with a gift for translating research into splendid storytelling. Building his case with scenes from a marriage, heart attack triage, speed dating, choking on the golf course, selling cars, and military maneuvers, he persuades readers to think small and focus on the meaning of "thin slices" of behavior. The key is to rely on our "adaptive unconscious"--a 24/7 mental valet--that provides us with instant and sophisticated information to warn of danger, read a stranger, or react to a new idea.

Gladwell includes caveats about leaping to conclusions: marketers can manipulate our first impressions, high arousal moments make us "mind blind," focusing on the wrong cue leaves us vulnerable to "the Warren Harding Effect" (i.e., voting for a handsome but hapless president). In a provocative chapter that exposes the "dark side of blink," he illuminates the failure of rapid cognition in the tragic stakeout and murder of Amadou Diallo in the Bronx. He underlines studies about autism, facial reading and cardio uptick to urge training that enhances high-stakes decision-making. In this brilliant, cage-rattling book, one can only wish for a thicker slice of Gladwell's ideas about what Blink Camp might look like. --Barbara Mackoff

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

How do we think without thinking, seem to make choices in an instant--in the blink of an eye--that actually aren't as simple as they seem? Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others? Drawing on cutting-edge neuroscience and psychology, the author reveals that great decision makers aren't those who process the most information or spend the most time deliberating, but those who have perfected the art of filtering the very few factors that matter from an overwhelming number of variables.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,424,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible