dismiss

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

by Malcolm Gladwell

How do we think without thinking, seem to make choices in an instant--in the blink of an eye--that actually aren't as simple as they seem? Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others? Drawing on cutting-edge neuroscience and psychology, the author reveals that great decision makers aren't those who process the most information or spend the most time deliberating, but those who have perfected the art of filtering the very few factors that matter from an overwhelming number of variables.… (more)

English (342)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Romanian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (351)
The thesis is that intuition is much quicker at arriving at a correct decision than logic is, and may even be more accurate. However, it also get into how intuition can lead a person astray. (because of the prejudices based on stereotypes.)

The book goes into marketing success & failures. Finally on page 179 he gets into something different, something that explains an essential feature: "The first impression of experts are different. ... it is really only experts who are reliably able to account for their reactions." (p 179)

"Our unconscious reactions come out of a locked room, and we can't look inside that room. But with experience we become expert at using our behavior and our training to interpret -- and decode -- what lies behind our snap judgments and first impressions. It's a lot like what people do when they are in psychoanalysis: they spend years analyzing their unconscious with the help of a trained therapist until they begin to the a sense of how their mind works." (p 183)

"Much of our understanding of mind reading comes from two remarkable scientists, a teacher and his pupil: Silvan Tomkins and Paul Ekman. Tomkins was the teacher. ... and was the author of Affect Imagery, consciousness, a four-volume work so den`se that its readers were evenly divided between those who understood it and thought it was brilliant and those who did not understand it and thought it was brilliant." (p197-198)

"Ekman and Friesen decided, then and there, to create a taxonomy of facial expressions." (p 201)

"Ekman and Friesen ultimately assembled all these combinations and the rules for Reading and interpreting them -- into the Facial Action Coding System, of FACS, and wrote them up in a five- hundred page document. It is a strangely riveting work..." (p 204)

Section "3. The Naked Face" in chapter 6 "... he makes an even bolder claim... and that is that the information on our face is not just a signal of what is going on inside our mind. In a certain sense, it is what is going on inside our mind." (p 206)

"What we discovered is that expression alone is sufficient to create marked change in the autonomic nervous system." (p 206)

I expected the book to end with a few chapters on actions that a person can take to improve their use of intuitive (subconscious) decision making, but it didn't. The closest it came was to say that recognition of facial emotional expression was greatly improved by watching a (half hour?) video training course.

It did have a chapter about policemen making errors of judgement that are cured by slowing down, and claming that we are more likely to make such errors when adrenalin speeds up the HR to 170, and when we only have an extremely short time to make a judgement. As I recall, he put the optimal HR somewhere around 140 or perhaps a bit lower. ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
He says how most of our decisions are unconscious.. as the writer is in awe of the power of the unconscious mind & gives the dangers of quick decisions too, the indication that we can do nothing abt it doesn't sit well with me. Book is like the soup, u might hv to read some other book as a main course. If I hv to describe this book in 2 words it will be inadequate & incomplete. ( )
  rrkreads | Jun 15, 2020 |
Nice book, but having read 'Thinking fast, thinking slow', by Kahneman first, it felt a bit superficial. ( )
  Cuchulainn | Jun 7, 2020 |
Blink the book is written by Malcolm Gladwell. He is a Canadian journalist author and public
speaker changes the way you will understand every decision you make Malcolm Gladwell
redefine how we understand the world around us. In the book ,he revolutionizes the way we
understand the world within a book about how we think without thinking, about choices that
seem to be made in an instant - in the blink of an eye- that actually aren't as simple as they
seem. The lessons of Blink teach us to maximize the potential of the unconscious mind, gain
control over the ability to make snap judgments in a fair, objective manner and employ thin
slicing. ( )
  Anwesha_Pal | May 13, 2020 |
De nuevo, un libro de Malcom Gladwell [MG]. MG ha escrito un ensayo sobre cómo nuestro pensamiento subconsciente (lo que se suele llamar “la primera impresión”) es muchas veces más certero que nuetro pensamiento lógico cuando nos enfrentamos a un problema nuevo. A lo largo de libro nos habla de muchas historias en las que los protagonistas supieron desde el principio cuál era la solución a un problema (descubrir si una estatua era falsa, ver si una pareja aguantará junta cinco años…), aunque costara mucho tiempo llegar a fundamentar racionalmente tal decisión.
El libro, estimados lectores, tiene sus pros y sus contras. Su principal atractivo para mí es que todas las historias que cuenta son extremadamente interesantes. Me encantan. Son realmente entretenidas y el estilo del autor es fluido y didáctico. El punto en contra es que todas las historias juntas no consiguen convencerte de la tesis del autor. La segunda mitad del libro, de hecho, habla de cómo nuestro subconsciente puede verse engañado por esa “primera impresión”, echando por tierra todo lo que nos había contado en la primera parte. Curioso. En The tipping point sucedía algo parecido. Las historias son todas interesantísimas, pero uno no acaba convencido de lo que quiere demostrar el autor. La impresión que da es que ha juntado muchas historias para intentar imbricarlas en un todo, sin conseguirlo. Cada historia tiene su moraleja, pero no siempre es la moraleja que el autor quiere darle.
Hay además un fallo de bulto: en una de las secciones, el autor intenta demostrar que si uno es más alto tiene mayores probabilidades de ser director de una empresa (CEO). Como prueba, mira las estaturas de los directores de las principales empresas norteamericanas y comprueba que son superiores a la media. Cae de lleno en la falacia post hoc, ergo propter hoc (después de, por tanto a causa de). El hecho de que una cosa suceda a continuación de otra NO implica que está causada por ella. Pueden estar ambas causadas por una tercera cosa o pueden ser independientes. Clamoroso fallo en un libro por lo demás medianamente bien argumentado.
En cualquier caso, les recomiendo el libro. No lo miren como un ensayo razonado sino como una colección de historias interesantes. En eso sí que es un libro superior.
Mi nota: Muy entretenido ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
Beyond question, Gladwell has succeeded in his avowed aim. Though perhaps less immediately seductive than the title and theme of The Tipping Point, Blink satisfies and gratifies.

If you want to trust my snap judgment, buy this book: you'll be delighted. If you want to trust my more reflective second judgment, buy it: you'll be delighted but frustrated, troubled and left wanting more.

"Blink" brims with surprising insights about our world and ourselves, ideas that you'll have a hard time getting out of your head, things you'll itch to share with all your friends.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Farhad Manjoo (Jan 13, 2005)

You can't judge a book by its cover. But Gladwell had me at hello — and kept me hooked to the final page.

As a researcher, Gladwell doesn't break much new ground. But he's talented at popularizing others' research. He's a clever storyteller who synthesizes and translates the work of psychologists, market researchers and criminologists.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (Jan 10, 2005)

Gladwell, MalcolmAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gladwell, MalcolmNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Joyce and Graham Gladwell
In September of 1983, an art dealer by the name of Gianfranco Becchina approached the J. Paul Getty Museum in California. (Introduction)
Some years ago, a young couple came to the University of Washington to visit the laboratory of a psychologist named John Gottman.
"We have come to confuse information with understanding."

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,901,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible