Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without…

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

by Malcolm Gladwell

English (333)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Romanian (1)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (341)
After reading reviews here about this book, it is obvious that many people didn't get it. That's okay, but I hope that others won't base their decision to read the book on those reviews. It's fascinating; I will definitely examine my gut reactions from now on to decide whether they come from a place of previous experience and expertise or a place of cultural stereotypes and bias. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
A good attempt to prove the power of our unconscious “locked area” of our minds. Liked the research studies of the power of facial expressions and the enormous meanings that the combinations of the forty something muscles of our faces can make.

Yet, wasn’t fully convinced of the blink power to make good snap judgements. How to train and improve this power is not presented in the book.

Good but not as I expected a kind of read. A lot of stories but not very well narrated to prove the point of “the power of blink”. ( )
  Mohammedkb | May 1, 2019 |
Blink by Malcom Gladwell
  patl | Feb 18, 2019 |
Blink puts in question the very phenomena of analysis before decision making and insists that on some occasion we just take a decision in a blink depending on what knowledge we have previously gathered. Very interesting examples and stories. Gladwell really seals the book with an engaging narrative. ( )
  Varun.Sayal | Nov 15, 2018 |
It wasn't anywhere near as thoughtful or as interesting as I had been expecting. In particular I found the whole bit on high stress situations inducing "temporary autism" difficult to accept and potentially quite insulting to people who actually have autism. It felt like Mr. Gladwell didn't present nearly enough research backing his claim on the subject.

I did appreciate, however, that he would like the world to look for actual solutions to race- and gender-based profiling. If that was the point of the book, I would have liked to see more suggestions. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
Beyond question, Gladwell has succeeded in his avowed aim. Though perhaps less immediately seductive than the title and theme of The Tipping Point, Blink satisfies and gratifies.

If you want to trust my snap judgment, buy this book: you'll be delighted. If you want to trust my more reflective second judgment, buy it: you'll be delighted but frustrated, troubled and left wanting more.

"Blink" brims with surprising insights about our world and ourselves, ideas that you'll have a hard time getting out of your head, things you'll itch to share with all your friends.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Farhad Manjoo (Jan 13, 2005)

You can't judge a book by its cover. But Gladwell had me at hello — and kept me hooked to the final page.

As a researcher, Gladwell doesn't break much new ground. But he's talented at popularizing others' research. He's a clever storyteller who synthesizes and translates the work of psychologists, market researchers and criminologists.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (Jan 10, 2005)

Gladwell, MalcolmAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gladwell, MalcolmNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Joyce and Graham Gladwell
In September of 1983, an art dealer by the name of Gianfranco Becchina approached the J. Paul Getty Museum in California. (Introduction)
Some years ago, a young couple came to the University of Washington to visit the laboratory of a psychologist named John Gottman.
"We have come to confuse information with understanding."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316010669, Paperback)

Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant. Gladwell, the best-selling author of The Tipping Point, campaigns for snap judgments and mind reading with a gift for translating research into splendid storytelling. Building his case with scenes from a marriage, heart attack triage, speed dating, choking on the golf course, selling cars, and military maneuvers, he persuades readers to think small and focus on the meaning of "thin slices" of behavior. The key is to rely on our "adaptive unconscious"--a 24/7 mental valet--that provides us with instant and sophisticated information to warn of danger, read a stranger, or react to a new idea.

Gladwell includes caveats about leaping to conclusions: marketers can manipulate our first impressions, high arousal moments make us "mind blind," focusing on the wrong cue leaves us vulnerable to "the Warren Harding Effect" (i.e., voting for a handsome but hapless president). In a provocative chapter that exposes the "dark side of blink," he illuminates the failure of rapid cognition in the tragic stakeout and murder of Amadou Diallo in the Bronx. He underlines studies about autism, facial reading and cardio uptick to urge training that enhances high-stakes decision-making. In this brilliant, cage-rattling book, one can only wish for a thicker slice of Gladwell's ideas about what Blink Camp might look like. --Barbara Mackoff

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

How do we think without thinking, seem to make choices in an instant--in the blink of an eye--that actually aren't as simple as they seem? Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others? Drawing on cutting-edge neuroscience and psychology, the author reveals that great decision makers aren't those who process the most information or spend the most time deliberating, but those who have perfected the art of filtering the very few factors that matter from an overwhelming number of variables.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible