Blink: The Power of Thinking Without…

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

by Malcolm Gladwell

English (282)  Dutch (2)  Romanian (1)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (289)
This book it is evolving if you are a person who likes this kind of literature, it helps you to understand why some people have the sense to detect certain life situations, and this is a guide to know why this happens. I did like very much the story about the symphony in Germany where many women were discriminated, and thanks to the ability of people using the think slice helped to fight this bad thing. ( )
  Pamelangeles | Jul 3, 2014 |
Synopsis: The pros and cons of making snap decisions and those based on first impression are examined with examples given. There are also implications for testing procedures and how performance can be affected by 'thin slicing' and 'priming'.
Review: This is an interesting look at what we know without knowing, how too much information can actually cloud judgment, and how we can and cannot overcome prejudices. Middle chapters were a bit redundant. ( )
  DrLed | May 4, 2014 |
09/05/08, City Shop, 70,00RMB

Fascinating! ( )
  Susanna.Dilliott | Apr 23, 2014 |
Blink has no real plot. It is a collection of stories found that are used to educate the reader in an unbiased format of both the negative and the positive aspects of an idea the author presents early in the book. His central idea is a function of the brain dubbed “thin-slicing.” This is the act of the brain in which it takes small portions of information from a given scenario and produces extraordinary results for the small amount of time needed. It is used in instances such as adrenaline filled reactions like the flight or fight response but is also used to gather knowledge in a much safer environment as detailed extensively in Blink.
There is one quote in this book that stands out to me and is called upon by the author multiple times later in the book.
"He just swished a cloth off the top of it and said, 'Well, it isn't ours yet, but it will be in a couple of weeks.' And I said, 'I'm sorry to hear that." (P.6 Par.1)
This quote refers to the unveiling of the kouros, an ancient Greek statue, to the art historian Evelyn Harrison. The kouros had been tested extensively and all the findings said that the statue was genuine however an art historian took one glance at it and instinctively knew that it was a fake. This captures the essence of “thin-slicing” perfectly and is one of the best examples used in the text.

To enjoy this book, the reader must be curious. The reader needs to have some sort of interest in the topic of brain function. It is best if the reader is eager to learn the new concepts that are being brought up and be able to digest the information with vigor. That is what saw me through the book and I believe it would do the same for others.
One of my favorite parts of Blink is that it manages to make the reading experience more interactive. There are replications of simple experiments that the reader can do with only the book that does a fantastic job of helping the reader understand topics. Another interactive aspect is being able to test out what you have been told in real life through everyday social interactions. My only dislike of Blink is that it almost goes into too much detail at times and leaves me confused. I often had to reread passages to fully understand the material.
I highly recommend this book. It was well written, interesting, well supported and had seemingly unbiased opinions. Again, if you are curious, interested, or have a hunger for knowledge, you should definitely read this book. If not you may find yourself bored and not picking the book back up so be wary. Overall it was great to read and learn from Blink. ( )
  Brad_LA_THS | Apr 9, 2014 |
It was an interesting and strange book and a bit out of my genre. I did enjoy it. ( )
  carfor12 | Jan 10, 2014 |
Beyond question, Gladwell has succeeded in his avowed aim. Though perhaps less immediately seductive than the title and theme of The Tipping Point, Blink satisfies and gratifies.

If you want to trust my snap judgment, buy this book: you'll be delighted. If you want to trust my more reflective second judgment, buy it: you'll be delighted but frustrated, troubled and left wanting more.

"Blink" brims with surprising insights about our world and ourselves, ideas that you'll have a hard time getting out of your head, things you'll itch to share with all your friends.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Farhad Manjoo (Jan 13, 2005)

You can't judge a book by its cover. But Gladwell had me at hello — and kept me hooked to the final page.

As a researcher, Gladwell doesn't break much new ground. But he's talented at popularizing others' research. He's a clever storyteller who synthesizes and translates the work of psychologists, market researchers and criminologists.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (Jan 10, 2005)

Malcolm Gladwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gladwell, MalcolmNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Joyce and Graham Gladwell
In September of 1983, an art dealer by the name of Gianfranco Becchina approached the J. Paul Getty Museum in California. (Introduction)
Some years ago, a young couple came to the University of Washington to visit the laboratory of a psychologist named John Gottman.
"We have come to confuse information with understanding."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316010669, Paperback)

Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant. Gladwell, the best-selling author of The Tipping Point, campaigns for snap judgments and mind reading with a gift for translating research into splendid storytelling. Building his case with scenes from a marriage, heart attack triage, speed dating, choking on the golf course, selling cars, and military maneuvers, he persuades readers to think small and focus on the meaning of "thin slices" of behavior. The key is to rely on our "adaptive unconscious"--a 24/7 mental valet--that provides us with instant and sophisticated information to warn of danger, read a stranger, or react to a new idea.

Gladwell includes caveats about leaping to conclusions: marketers can manipulate our first impressions, high arousal moments make us "mind blind," focusing on the wrong cue leaves us vulnerable to "the Warren Harding Effect" (i.e., voting for a handsome but hapless president). In a provocative chapter that exposes the "dark side of blink," he illuminates the failure of rapid cognition in the tragic stakeout and murder of Amadou Diallo in the Bronx. He underlines studies about autism, facial reading and cardio uptick to urge training that enhances high-stakes decision-making. In this brilliant, cage-rattling book, one can only wish for a thicker slice of Gladwell's ideas about what Blink Camp might look like. --Barbara Mackoff

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:47 -0400)

How do we think without thinking, seem to make choices in an instant--in the blink of an eye--that actually aren't as simple as they seem? Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others? Drawing on cutting-edge neuroscience and psychology, the author reveals that great decision makers aren't those who process the most information or spend the most time deliberating, but those who have perfected the art of filtering the very few factors that matter from an overwhelming number of variables.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,295,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible