Blink: The Power of Thinking Without…

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

by Malcolm Gladwell

English (300)  Dutch (2)  Romanian (1)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (307)
Gladwell is fun to read. I understand that some of his arguments were deemed weak or new-agey, but I think he made reasonable points. At first I was resistant to the idea of respecting snap decisions with limited data and analysis, but I think Gladwell's point actually was that we need to control the environment and have proper training/preparation before trusting our first impressions. He told a lot of stories of bad instincts based on prejudice or bias. Lots of fascinating stuff.

The sub-chapters covered all kinds of topics and went all over the place. I did have a little trouble piecing the whole book into a coherent whole, but I can probably blame my short term memory and reading comprehension. ( )
  richjj | Jan 27, 2016 |
Blink is a study in how the human mind processes and forms conclusion within the blink of an eye. In this book he explores how first impressions are often correct, even if we don't understand why, but also how they can go horribly wrong.

Throughout the book Gladwell gives us several in-depth examples of various experiments conducted by researchers on just this topic. I found some of them quite interesting, particularly the information on the war game conducted by the US government and what he called "mind-reading" which is really nothing more than the ability to read micro facial expressions. However, I felt there were places in the book that just got overly repetitive. Some of the book could have been edited as it felt like at times he just kept hammering at the same point. Overall, it was an interesting topic and I learned quite a bit. I would consider picking up another by Gladwell if the topic intrigued me. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
fascinating. and i love the way he writes, focusing on particular stories that he relates and weaves together. i like the science bits the best, but think he gives too much leeway to well-intentioned racists. i'm not actually sure how useful this book is, but it's definitely interesting. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Jan 8, 2016 |
In this book Malcolm Gladwell discusses how sometimes (most of the time) snap judgments are based on lots of experience. We also sometimes can come to the same conclusions in a blink of an eye and it be the same if not better ones than a decision of people with years of going over the same things. Sometimes decisions are made better by spur of the moment than too much information. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Beyond question, Gladwell has succeeded in his avowed aim. Though perhaps less immediately seductive than the title and theme of The Tipping Point, Blink satisfies and gratifies.

If you want to trust my snap judgment, buy this book: you'll be delighted. If you want to trust my more reflective second judgment, buy it: you'll be delighted but frustrated, troubled and left wanting more.

"Blink" brims with surprising insights about our world and ourselves, ideas that you'll have a hard time getting out of your head, things you'll itch to share with all your friends.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Farhad Manjoo (Jan 13, 2005)

You can't judge a book by its cover. But Gladwell had me at hello — and kept me hooked to the final page.

As a researcher, Gladwell doesn't break much new ground. But he's talented at popularizing others' research. He's a clever storyteller who synthesizes and translates the work of psychologists, market researchers and criminologists.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (Jan 10, 2005)

Malcolm Gladwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gladwell, MalcolmNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Joyce and Graham Gladwell
In September of 1983, an art dealer by the name of Gianfranco Becchina approached the J. Paul Getty Museum in California. (Introduction)
Some years ago, a young couple came to the University of Washington to visit the laboratory of a psychologist named John Gottman.
"We have come to confuse information with understanding."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316010669, Paperback)

Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant. Gladwell, the best-selling author of The Tipping Point, campaigns for snap judgments and mind reading with a gift for translating research into splendid storytelling. Building his case with scenes from a marriage, heart attack triage, speed dating, choking on the golf course, selling cars, and military maneuvers, he persuades readers to think small and focus on the meaning of "thin slices" of behavior. The key is to rely on our "adaptive unconscious"--a 24/7 mental valet--that provides us with instant and sophisticated information to warn of danger, read a stranger, or react to a new idea.

Gladwell includes caveats about leaping to conclusions: marketers can manipulate our first impressions, high arousal moments make us "mind blind," focusing on the wrong cue leaves us vulnerable to "the Warren Harding Effect" (i.e., voting for a handsome but hapless president). In a provocative chapter that exposes the "dark side of blink," he illuminates the failure of rapid cognition in the tragic stakeout and murder of Amadou Diallo in the Bronx. He underlines studies about autism, facial reading and cardio uptick to urge training that enhances high-stakes decision-making. In this brilliant, cage-rattling book, one can only wish for a thicker slice of Gladwell's ideas about what Blink Camp might look like. --Barbara Mackoff

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

How do we think without thinking, seem to make choices in an instant--in the blink of an eye--that actually aren't as simple as they seem? Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others? Drawing on cutting-edge neuroscience and psychology, the author reveals that great decision makers aren't those who process the most information or spend the most time deliberating, but those who have perfected the art of filtering the very few factors that matter from an overwhelming number of variables.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,125,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible