Blink: The Power of Thinking Without…

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

by Malcolm Gladwell

Recently added byVitae_, WMCDecorah, private library, HippieLunatic, mike281186, rgbnv75, mooondaddy, sschhabra
Legacy LibrariesDavid Foster Wallace

English (284)  Dutch (2)  Romanian (1)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (291)
What can I say that hasn't already been said? Interesting, thought provoking, well written -- an easy, informative read. ( )
  amydelpo | Dec 9, 2014 |
In my opinion, this book wasn't as good as his first one, The Tipping Point. Got a little slow in the middle, which is why I've stopped reading it in the middle.
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
Why is that sometimes you can express your opinion about something after a few seconds? Whz is that sometimes less information is more useful than more? Everything you wanter to know about your subconscious decisions. ( )
  TheCrow2 | Oct 16, 2014 |
This book it is evolving if you are a person who likes this kind of literature, it helps you to understand why some people have the sense to detect certain life situations, and this is a guide to know why this happens. I did like very much the story about the symphony in Germany where many women were discriminated, and thanks to the ability of people using the think slice helped to fight this bad thing. ( )
  Pamelangeles | Jul 3, 2014 |
Synopsis: The pros and cons of making snap decisions and those based on first impression are examined with examples given. There are also implications for testing procedures and how performance can be affected by 'thin slicing' and 'priming'.
Review: This is an interesting look at what we know without knowing, how too much information can actually cloud judgment, and how we can and cannot overcome prejudices. Middle chapters were a bit redundant. ( )
1 vote DrLed | May 4, 2014 |
Beyond question, Gladwell has succeeded in his avowed aim. Though perhaps less immediately seductive than the title and theme of The Tipping Point, Blink satisfies and gratifies.

If you want to trust my snap judgment, buy this book: you'll be delighted. If you want to trust my more reflective second judgment, buy it: you'll be delighted but frustrated, troubled and left wanting more.

"Blink" brims with surprising insights about our world and ourselves, ideas that you'll have a hard time getting out of your head, things you'll itch to share with all your friends.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Farhad Manjoo (Jan 13, 2005)

You can't judge a book by its cover. But Gladwell had me at hello — and kept me hooked to the final page.

As a researcher, Gladwell doesn't break much new ground. But he's talented at popularizing others' research. He's a clever storyteller who synthesizes and translates the work of psychologists, market researchers and criminologists.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (Jan 10, 2005)

Malcolm Gladwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gladwell, MalcolmNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Joyce and Graham Gladwell
In September of 1983, an art dealer by the name of Gianfranco Becchina approached the J. Paul Getty Museum in California. (Introduction)
Some years ago, a young couple came to the University of Washington to visit the laboratory of a psychologist named John Gottman.
"We have come to confuse information with understanding."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316010669, Paperback)

Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant. Gladwell, the best-selling author of The Tipping Point, campaigns for snap judgments and mind reading with a gift for translating research into splendid storytelling. Building his case with scenes from a marriage, heart attack triage, speed dating, choking on the golf course, selling cars, and military maneuvers, he persuades readers to think small and focus on the meaning of "thin slices" of behavior. The key is to rely on our "adaptive unconscious"--a 24/7 mental valet--that provides us with instant and sophisticated information to warn of danger, read a stranger, or react to a new idea.

Gladwell includes caveats about leaping to conclusions: marketers can manipulate our first impressions, high arousal moments make us "mind blind," focusing on the wrong cue leaves us vulnerable to "the Warren Harding Effect" (i.e., voting for a handsome but hapless president). In a provocative chapter that exposes the "dark side of blink," he illuminates the failure of rapid cognition in the tragic stakeout and murder of Amadou Diallo in the Bronx. He underlines studies about autism, facial reading and cardio uptick to urge training that enhances high-stakes decision-making. In this brilliant, cage-rattling book, one can only wish for a thicker slice of Gladwell's ideas about what Blink Camp might look like. --Barbara Mackoff

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:47 -0400)

How do we think without thinking, seem to make choices in an instant--in the blink of an eye--that actually aren't as simple as they seem? Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others? Drawing on cutting-edge neuroscience and psychology, the author reveals that great decision makers aren't those who process the most information or spend the most time deliberating, but those who have perfected the art of filtering the very few factors that matter from an overwhelming number of variables.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,447,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible