Blink: The Power of Thinking Without…

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

by Malcolm Gladwell

English (326)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Romanian (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Russian (1)  All (334)
While I absolutely love Malcolm Gladwell, I only liked blink. It was as informative as his other works, but I didn't hear his voice coming through as much. It's fascinating to understand that our subconscious plays such a major role in our thinking. It's also scary to realize how much we are influenced by our surroundings and environmental prejudices without realizing. I'm better for having read this book. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
This book is an excellent discussion of how we "think", i.e. what really goes on in our brains as we make decisions, evaluate and consider options. Gladwell arrives at the conclusion (with much evidence) that some of our most profound thinking goes on at a level he labels "behind the closed door". The reality appears that when, for example, we need to make decisions, we really don't decide in a step by step "list the pros and cons" fashion. In actuality, we make (most times in milliseconds) decisions based upon our experience and expertise which at times is imperative for our survival. According to Gladwell, we don't always have the luxury of time to deliberate (e.g. he spends considerable time illustrating the importance of this in law enforcement), rather, we go with "what we know", "gut" or "hunch" which is entirely appropriate. We are prepared to act because the thinking is already accomplished "behind the closed door" inside our brains as we continually process information.

Marsha Y. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
The book has a lot of examples and cases to demonstrate how we think, how blink judgment affect our way of thinking. It took me lot of time to finish the book so I cannot remember all of it clearly but what I remember is the following.

The first thing
Snap judgment of the expertise could not be explained exactly but they are the result of practice and knowledge.
Any person could thin slice and achieve better judgment by focusing on main information and key points, feeling and emotions.

focusing on Few information can be better that looking to the whole pictures.

We usually has a lot of information when deciding on something. If we are listening to something the shape, color and place of it could affect it. We have to take care of our prejudicing.

The book kept repeating and repeating all cases that sometime it was very boring ( )
  melmeseery | Sep 22, 2017 |
we have abilities that we are not aware of ( )
  Mikenielson | Aug 20, 2017 |
This book is a puzzle wrapped up in an enigma. I'm still not sure exactly what I got out of it but I am sure it has changed me at some level. Very interesting and enjoyable read. I think I am going to have to reread/scan it at some point and make some notes.
= ( )
  dannyp777 | Aug 8, 2017 |
Beyond question, Gladwell has succeeded in his avowed aim. Though perhaps less immediately seductive than the title and theme of The Tipping Point, Blink satisfies and gratifies.

If you want to trust my snap judgment, buy this book: you'll be delighted. If you want to trust my more reflective second judgment, buy it: you'll be delighted but frustrated, troubled and left wanting more.

"Blink" brims with surprising insights about our world and ourselves, ideas that you'll have a hard time getting out of your head, things you'll itch to share with all your friends.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Farhad Manjoo (Jan 13, 2005)

You can't judge a book by its cover. But Gladwell had me at hello — and kept me hooked to the final page.

As a researcher, Gladwell doesn't break much new ground. But he's talented at popularizing others' research. He's a clever storyteller who synthesizes and translates the work of psychologists, market researchers and criminologists.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (Jan 10, 2005)

Malcolm Gladwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gladwell, MalcolmNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Joyce and Graham Gladwell
In September of 1983, an art dealer by the name of Gianfranco Becchina approached the J. Paul Getty Museum in California. (Introduction)
Some years ago, a young couple came to the University of Washington to visit the laboratory of a psychologist named John Gottman.
"We have come to confuse information with understanding."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316010669, Paperback)

Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant. Gladwell, the best-selling author of The Tipping Point, campaigns for snap judgments and mind reading with a gift for translating research into splendid storytelling. Building his case with scenes from a marriage, heart attack triage, speed dating, choking on the golf course, selling cars, and military maneuvers, he persuades readers to think small and focus on the meaning of "thin slices" of behavior. The key is to rely on our "adaptive unconscious"--a 24/7 mental valet--that provides us with instant and sophisticated information to warn of danger, read a stranger, or react to a new idea.

Gladwell includes caveats about leaping to conclusions: marketers can manipulate our first impressions, high arousal moments make us "mind blind," focusing on the wrong cue leaves us vulnerable to "the Warren Harding Effect" (i.e., voting for a handsome but hapless president). In a provocative chapter that exposes the "dark side of blink," he illuminates the failure of rapid cognition in the tragic stakeout and murder of Amadou Diallo in the Bronx. He underlines studies about autism, facial reading and cardio uptick to urge training that enhances high-stakes decision-making. In this brilliant, cage-rattling book, one can only wish for a thicker slice of Gladwell's ideas about what Blink Camp might look like. --Barbara Mackoff

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

How do we think without thinking, seem to make choices in an instant--in the blink of an eye--that actually aren't as simple as they seem? Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others? Drawing on cutting-edge neuroscience and psychology, the author reveals that great decision makers aren't those who process the most information or spend the most time deliberating, but those who have perfected the art of filtering the very few factors that matter from an overwhelming number of variables.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,601,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible