Blink: The Power of Thinking Without…

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (edition 2005)

by Malcolm Gladwell

Member:rachelowitz
Title:Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
Authors:Malcolm Gladwell
Info:New York: Little, Brown and Co., 2005.

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

English (334)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Romanian (1)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (342)
It wasn't anywhere near as thoughtful or as interesting as I had been expecting. In particular I found the whole bit on high stress situations inducing "temporary autism" difficult to accept and potentially quite insulting to people who actually have autism. It felt like Mr. Gladwell didn't present nearly enough research backing his claim on the subject.

I did appreciate, however, that he would like the world to look for actual solutions to race- and gender-based profiling. If that was the point of the book, I would have liked to see more suggestions. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
An interesting look at how we process first impressions, how they affect our thinking on a subconscious level, and how we can try and fix the problems that they cause. ( )
  simonspacecadet | Jul 29, 2018 |
I've often thought that we have access to too much info (real or fake, sometimes it's hard to tell) and our response has been knee-jerk instead of allowing some time to pass before making a decision. This book has turned that premise on its head in a way because sometimes decisions made quickly without a lot of info is better. We sometimes forget that we have intuition and that it may be just as important to making our decisions as having lots of information at our fingertips.

The problem is knowing when intuition is better than informed decision-making. That is not what this book is about. The author even states, "I thought of it more as a simple adventure story - a journey into the wonders of our unconsciousness."

However, in his call to action he later writes, "Once we know about how the mind works -and the strengths and weaknesses of human judgment - it is our responsibility to act."

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." ( )
  sraelling | May 2, 2018 |
A good book and worth adding to your library. ( )
  kammbiamh | Mar 25, 2018 |
Much Ado About Nothing might have been a better title, had it not already been so appropriately employed. Lots of wind, each chapter beginning with great claims, which somehow, in the repetive text that follows are rarely founded in evidence, let alone proved. Scientific Discourse without Science or Discourse could have been the sub-title. ( )
  Tomgraham | Feb 19, 2018 |
Beyond question, Gladwell has succeeded in his avowed aim. Though perhaps less immediately seductive than the title and theme of The Tipping Point, Blink satisfies and gratifies.

If you want to trust my snap judgment, buy this book: you'll be delighted. If you want to trust my more reflective second judgment, buy it: you'll be delighted but frustrated, troubled and left wanting more.

"Blink" brims with surprising insights about our world and ourselves, ideas that you'll have a hard time getting out of your head, things you'll itch to share with all your friends.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Farhad Manjoo (Jan 13, 2005)

You can't judge a book by its cover. But Gladwell had me at hello — and kept me hooked to the final page.

As a researcher, Gladwell doesn't break much new ground. But he's talented at popularizing others' research. He's a clever storyteller who synthesizes and translates the work of psychologists, market researchers and criminologists.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (Jan 10, 2005)

Malcolm Gladwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gladwell, MalcolmNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Joyce and Graham Gladwell
In September of 1983, an art dealer by the name of Gianfranco Becchina approached the J. Paul Getty Museum in California. (Introduction)
Some years ago, a young couple came to the University of Washington to visit the laboratory of a psychologist named John Gottman.
"We have come to confuse information with understanding."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316010669, Paperback)

Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant. Gladwell, the best-selling author of The Tipping Point, campaigns for snap judgments and mind reading with a gift for translating research into splendid storytelling. Building his case with scenes from a marriage, heart attack triage, speed dating, choking on the golf course, selling cars, and military maneuvers, he persuades readers to think small and focus on the meaning of "thin slices" of behavior. The key is to rely on our "adaptive unconscious"--a 24/7 mental valet--that provides us with instant and sophisticated information to warn of danger, read a stranger, or react to a new idea.

Gladwell includes caveats about leaping to conclusions: marketers can manipulate our first impressions, high arousal moments make us "mind blind," focusing on the wrong cue leaves us vulnerable to "the Warren Harding Effect" (i.e., voting for a handsome but hapless president). In a provocative chapter that exposes the "dark side of blink," he illuminates the failure of rapid cognition in the tragic stakeout and murder of Amadou Diallo in the Bronx. He underlines studies about autism, facial reading and cardio uptick to urge training that enhances high-stakes decision-making. In this brilliant, cage-rattling book, one can only wish for a thicker slice of Gladwell's ideas about what Blink Camp might look like. --Barbara Mackoff

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

How do we think without thinking, seem to make choices in an instant--in the blink of an eye--that actually aren't as simple as they seem? Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others? Drawing on cutting-edge neuroscience and psychology, the author reveals that great decision makers aren't those who process the most information or spend the most time deliberating, but those who have perfected the art of filtering the very few factors that matter from an overwhelming number of variables.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,979,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible