Blink : the power of thinking without…

Blink : the power of thinking without thinking (edition 2007)

by Malcolm Gladwell

Member:rsubber
Title:Blink : the power of thinking without thinking
Authors:Malcolm Gladwell
Info:New York : Back Bay Books, 2007.
Rating:*****
Tags:non-fiction

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

Recently added bynejclib, private library, kmhoy, jamgk1, dasam, LaurieOL, rhughes1107, colingorrie, TommyW
Legacy LibrariesDavid Foster Wallace

English (322)  Dutch (2)  Romanian (1)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (329)
I started reading this book right after I made some huge blunders at work where I should have trusted my gut, but didn't. At least I'm not the only one, according to Gladwell! This book is about the 2 seconds of "nonthinking" that guides our judgment and why it's so important. ( )
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
An interesting discussion on how we think, how we make quick judgements, why we can, and how sometimes they go terribly wrong. Also how sight helps and hinders our decisions in some situations. I enjoyed listening to Malcolm read his own work, and admit I used it to tune out from the events of yesterday's Inauguration. His voice was quite soothing. :) ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
This was the first Gladwell book I read.

I read and finished it during my backpacking trip across Cambodia. I read it amongst the ruins of ancient temples, on bumpy dusty tuk-tuk rides, I held on to it while on the boat waiting for the freshwater dolphins to crest the surface of the mighty Mekong, sitting cross legged on the floor of the aisle of a public bus on the 2-hour ride back to Siem Reap...

But even without all that hazy semi-sense-of-adventure-backpacking state of mind... I would still recommend this book to anyone. Or any of Mssr Gladwell's books honestly speaking (up to the date of this review I have read them all except for 'Tipping Point' and 'David & Goliath', ironically -or maybe rather quite properly Gladwellian- the first & latest of his books).

In a nutshell, this book is about how intrinsically we know things. But how all that is usually drowned out or pushed to the corner of ones mind by a lot of good old crusty 'preconception', 'social upbringing' and 'societal brainwashing'. But maybe it's not something that comes when we think about it.

Anyhow the main concept/theory in this book is not bedrock to be sure, but somewhat elastic. Something to be taken with a grain of salt. Just as relying too much on facts and proof takes the fun out of life, not caring at all about facts and proof takes out the foundations of sound character.

Trust your gut, people. Trust your gut. But don't try too hard.

kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Fascinating and informative; though this book is purely information it is still entertaining to read: the best king of informative book. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Beyond question, Gladwell has succeeded in his avowed aim. Though perhaps less immediately seductive than the title and theme of The Tipping Point, Blink satisfies and gratifies.

If you want to trust my snap judgment, buy this book: you'll be delighted. If you want to trust my more reflective second judgment, buy it: you'll be delighted but frustrated, troubled and left wanting more.

"Blink" brims with surprising insights about our world and ourselves, ideas that you'll have a hard time getting out of your head, things you'll itch to share with all your friends.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Farhad Manjoo (Jan 13, 2005)

You can't judge a book by its cover. But Gladwell had me at hello — and kept me hooked to the final page.

As a researcher, Gladwell doesn't break much new ground. But he's talented at popularizing others' research. He's a clever storyteller who synthesizes and translates the work of psychologists, market researchers and criminologists.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (Jan 10, 2005)

Malcolm Gladwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gladwell, MalcolmNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Joyce and Graham Gladwell
In September of 1983, an art dealer by the name of Gianfranco Becchina approached the J. Paul Getty Museum in California. (Introduction)
Some years ago, a young couple came to the University of Washington to visit the laboratory of a psychologist named John Gottman.
"We have come to confuse information with understanding."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316010669, Paperback)

Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant. Gladwell, the best-selling author of The Tipping Point, campaigns for snap judgments and mind reading with a gift for translating research into splendid storytelling. Building his case with scenes from a marriage, heart attack triage, speed dating, choking on the golf course, selling cars, and military maneuvers, he persuades readers to think small and focus on the meaning of "thin slices" of behavior. The key is to rely on our "adaptive unconscious"--a 24/7 mental valet--that provides us with instant and sophisticated information to warn of danger, read a stranger, or react to a new idea.

Gladwell includes caveats about leaping to conclusions: marketers can manipulate our first impressions, high arousal moments make us "mind blind," focusing on the wrong cue leaves us vulnerable to "the Warren Harding Effect" (i.e., voting for a handsome but hapless president). In a provocative chapter that exposes the "dark side of blink," he illuminates the failure of rapid cognition in the tragic stakeout and murder of Amadou Diallo in the Bronx. He underlines studies about autism, facial reading and cardio uptick to urge training that enhances high-stakes decision-making. In this brilliant, cage-rattling book, one can only wish for a thicker slice of Gladwell's ideas about what Blink Camp might look like. --Barbara Mackoff

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

How do we think without thinking, seem to make choices in an instant--in the blink of an eye--that actually aren't as simple as they seem? Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others? Drawing on cutting-edge neuroscience and psychology, the author reveals that great decision makers aren't those who process the most information or spend the most time deliberating, but those who have perfected the art of filtering the very few factors that matter from an overwhelming number of variables.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,188,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible