Blink : the power of thinking without…

Blink : the power of thinking without thinking (edition 2007)

by Malcolm Gladwell

Member:rsubber
Title:Blink : the power of thinking without thinking
Authors:Malcolm Gladwell
Info:New York : Back Bay Books, 2007.
Rating:*****
Tags:non-fiction

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

English (309)  Dutch (2)  Romanian (1)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (316)
4 ( )
  ronchan | Nov 14, 2016 |
Interesting book. To summarize, it is basically about the human ability to use our subconscience mind to make decisions and notice profound things in the blink of an eye. An expert can spot a fake statue at a glance when months of scientific testing seems to say it is genuine. A true marriage expert can accurately predict if a couple is going to stay together after listening to just a minute of them talking with each other (in this example, the "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" are defensiveness, stonewalling, criticism and contempt).

An interesting thing to note that this is very different from a hunch from someone who doesn't know what to look for. In another example, it is possible to tell in a minute which doctors are the most likely to be sued. But you don't look at their skill. It turns out you have to look at how they talk to their patients.

This subconscience mind takes place behind a closed door. We don't know what goes on behind their. We are attracted to some people (like in dating) even though we verbally say we are attracted to a different type of people. But because it's behind a closed door, we don't know if our unwarranted biases are playing a role. In sales for example, it helped one car salesman to squash a biased first impression that drowns out the other clues he can pick up on.

Whether it is in the ER or war, more information is not better. Doctors had too much info to accurately predict heart attacks. After a lot of research and focused study, it was able to be distilled down to a few key things to look out for.

This book is not a "how to" book. It does an interesting job of looking at this subject from all different perspectives such as when it works great and things that can throw it off. ( )
  kikowatzy | Nov 3, 2016 |
Loved it. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
This book is very informative and intriguing in its approach and its final result.
I specially like it because I hate that I take too much time to decide in general which wastes a lot of time and energy.

Some of the topics are:
* The positive and negative sides of snap judgments.
* Practice & expertise may help on judging correctly from first impression.
* Too much information can be a problem on making accurate decisions.
* Mind reading can be impaired if a person is in a rapid situation and have no time. ( )
  manolina | Sep 16, 2016 |
4.5 stars. The half star is for repeating info multiple times but the rest of it was mind blowing. Just reading how cops unravel at times and kill or hurt people is worth a read.
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
Beyond question, Gladwell has succeeded in his avowed aim. Though perhaps less immediately seductive than the title and theme of The Tipping Point, Blink satisfies and gratifies.

If you want to trust my snap judgment, buy this book: you'll be delighted. If you want to trust my more reflective second judgment, buy it: you'll be delighted but frustrated, troubled and left wanting more.

"Blink" brims with surprising insights about our world and ourselves, ideas that you'll have a hard time getting out of your head, things you'll itch to share with all your friends.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Farhad Manjoo (Jan 13, 2005)

You can't judge a book by its cover. But Gladwell had me at hello — and kept me hooked to the final page.

As a researcher, Gladwell doesn't break much new ground. But he's talented at popularizing others' research. He's a clever storyteller who synthesizes and translates the work of psychologists, market researchers and criminologists.
added by stephmo | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (Jan 10, 2005)

Malcolm Gladwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gladwell, MalcolmNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Joyce and Graham Gladwell
In September of 1983, an art dealer by the name of Gianfranco Becchina approached the J. Paul Getty Museum in California. (Introduction)
Some years ago, a young couple came to the University of Washington to visit the laboratory of a psychologist named John Gottman.
"We have come to confuse information with understanding."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316010669, Paperback)

Blink is about the first two seconds of looking--the decisive glance that knows in an instant. Gladwell, the best-selling author of The Tipping Point, campaigns for snap judgments and mind reading with a gift for translating research into splendid storytelling. Building his case with scenes from a marriage, heart attack triage, speed dating, choking on the golf course, selling cars, and military maneuvers, he persuades readers to think small and focus on the meaning of "thin slices" of behavior. The key is to rely on our "adaptive unconscious"--a 24/7 mental valet--that provides us with instant and sophisticated information to warn of danger, read a stranger, or react to a new idea.

Gladwell includes caveats about leaping to conclusions: marketers can manipulate our first impressions, high arousal moments make us "mind blind," focusing on the wrong cue leaves us vulnerable to "the Warren Harding Effect" (i.e., voting for a handsome but hapless president). In a provocative chapter that exposes the "dark side of blink," he illuminates the failure of rapid cognition in the tragic stakeout and murder of Amadou Diallo in the Bronx. He underlines studies about autism, facial reading and cardio uptick to urge training that enhances high-stakes decision-making. In this brilliant, cage-rattling book, one can only wish for a thicker slice of Gladwell's ideas about what Blink Camp might look like. --Barbara Mackoff

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

How do we think without thinking, seem to make choices in an instant--in the blink of an eye--that actually aren't as simple as they seem? Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others? Drawing on cutting-edge neuroscience and psychology, the author reveals that great decision makers aren't those who process the most information or spend the most time deliberating, but those who have perfected the art of filtering the very few factors that matter from an overwhelming number of variables.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,817,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible