Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Enchantress of Numbers: A Novel of Ada…

Enchantress of Numbers: A Novel of Ada Lovelace (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Jennifer Chiaverini (Author)

1971189,646 (3.42)9
Member:atlaswinks
Title:Enchantress of Numbers: A Novel of Ada Lovelace
Authors:Jennifer Chiaverini (Author)
Info:Dutton (2017), 446 pages

Enchantress of Numbers: A Novel of Ada Lovelace by Jennifer Chiaverini (2017)

I actually liked this book more than I expected to. I requested it on a whim because it sounded interesting, and I'm glad I did. I'll admit that I'm not very into science and mathematics, so I did end up skimming over some parts, but all in all this was a really enlightening narrative about a fascinating historical figure. I definitely enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who likes fictionalizations of real history. Thanks to First to Read for the advance copy. ( )
  carlie892 | Oct 10, 2018 |
Excellent story. What a wonderful story. What she could have done 100 years later. Not a fun mother ( )
  shazjhb | Sep 22, 2018 |
I love reading about Ada Lovelace, and this was a nice fictionalized account of her life that read really well. Jennifer Chiaverini has proven herself to be an expert writer, and this read should not disappoint her fans.

*eARC Netgalley* ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |
This fictional account of Ada Lovelace's life exudes fact and passion, while blending it with a narrative that makes you feel as though you're in the novel with her. It was extremely well researched, and is written so that you feel as though you're inside her head. The lack of dialogue is troublesome, but not bothersome. At least for me, I was more fascinated by the detail and attention that was paid to really notice any or many flaws in the writing. The author has written the whole of Ms. Lovelace, though it is written as a novel, it could hold its own as an actual biography; very little is left out. It is interesting to see how she's portrayed Lord Byron as well, both as who he was and as Ada's father. There are many historical figures that get brought up, or stay at the periphery of this novel that you might think it was accidental, instead of purposeful. This novel is truly, a remarkable account of one of the most important and remarkable women in history. ( )
  BrainyHeroine | Mar 20, 2018 |
This fictionalized account of Ada Lovelace, daughter of Lord Byron and colleague of Charles Babbage (considered the father of the first computer), can be divided into three sections: 1) A story told in 3rd person about the courtship and disastrous marriage of Lord Byron and Lady Byron, 2) The beginning of a 1st person narrative by their only child, Ada, telling the story of her development from a child to young adult, including the difficult relationship with her mother, and 3) Ada's story of her marriage and work with Charles Babbage. Many reviewers have had trouble with Ada's early recollections, citing the fact that no child could have this superior of a memory, and I agree. This narrative style felt artificial, and so much time was spent on her relationship with her mother that it felt repetitive. The book really picks up when Charles Babbage enters the picture. Now I can understand the musings of a young woman, and why she was attracted to mathematics and his work. Despite these flaws, I'm glad to have read this book. Developing Ada's story as historical fiction helped me understand her work and life. ( )
  peggybr | Feb 16, 2018 |

Jennifer Chiaveriniprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carpenter, Margaret SarahIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cho, NayonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sigal, ElkeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother,
Geraldine Neidenbach,
my favorite mathematician
A piteous mewling jolts Lady Annabella Byron from her melancholy contemplation of the fire fading to embers though the evening is still young. (Prologue)
You may wonder how I, no more than seven weeks old when my mother left my father and launched the great scandal that came to be known throughout England as the Separation, can claim to have witnessed the tumultuous events that provoked so much curiosity and gossip.

The only legitimate child of Lord Byron, the most brilliant, revered, and scandalous of the Romantic poets, Ada was destined for fame long before her birth. Estranged from Ada's father, who was infamously "mad, bad, and dangerous to know," Ada's mathematician mother is determined to save her only child from her perilous Byron heritage. Banishing fairy tales and make-believe from the nursery, Ada's mother provides her daughter with a rigorous education grounded in mathematics and science. Any troubling spark of imagination--or worse yet, passion or poetry--is promptly extinguished. Or so her mother believes. When Ada is introduced into London society as a highly eligible young heiress, she at last discovers the intellectual and social circles she has craved all her life. Little does she realize that her delightful new friendship with inventor Charles Babbage--brilliant, charming, and occasionally curmudgeonly--will shape her destiny. Intrigued by the prototype of his first calculating machine, the Difference Engine, and enthralled by the plans for his even more advanced Analytical Engine, Ada resolves to help Babbage realize his extraordinary vision, unique in her understanding of how his invention could transform the world. All the while, she passionately studies mathematics--ignoring skeptics who consider it an unusual, even unhealthy pursuit for a woman--falls in love, discovers the shocking secrets behind her parents' estrangement, and comes to terms with the unquenchable fire of her imagination.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,504,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible