The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse

The Inimitable Jeeves (1923)

by P. G. Wodehouse

1,959403,472 (4.04)1 / 156
Member:joririchardson
Title:The Inimitable Jeeves
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse
Info:not owned
Collections:Lost Book Collection, Read in 2013, Your library
Tags:Literary, 1900's England, 1920's England, London, Valets, Comedy

The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (1923)

The Admirable Crichton by J. M. Barrie (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Indispensible servants
    Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Lord Peter Wimsey and Bertie Wooster are rather similar characters, and they both have loyal and competent valets. Peter, of course, solves mysteries, while Bertie is more of a comic figure.

English (33)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (38)
The adventures of Bingo Little, who just cannot help falling in love with pretty much every woman he meets. This one reads more like a series of connected short stories than a single novel, which probably contributes to me forgetting what it's about every time I put it down. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Sep 5, 2014 |
reader good. story very frothy. ( )
  mahallett | Feb 11, 2014 |
This is my second Wodehouse book, but my first foray into the world of Jeeves and Wooster, and I have to say ... I'm a bit disappointed.

My first Wodehouse was Leave it to Psmith, and I'm trying to figure out why I loved that and not The Inimitable Jeeves. Perhaps it's because The Inimitable Jeeves is a short story collection. I like short stories, but after one story after another of Bingo Little falling in love, he and Bertie getting into a scrape, and Jeeves helping them out of it, it all got a little tired and redundant. Perhaps reading them separately rather than back to back would have helped: they originally appeared serially. But then I miss the wonderful, crazy, interwoven plot lines in Leave it to Psmith, so perhaps I should just stick to Wodehouse's novels. There are bits of Psmith I remember to this day: his hilarious advertisement, his bungled meeting with Freddie Threepwood, his proposal to Eve, Baxter and his flowerpots. The Inimitable Jeeves, while funny, had nothing on that level of comic brilliance, in my opinion.

Of course, The Inimitable Jeeves was not only my introduction to Bertie and co., but the world's as well. Maybe they got better as they went along. I certainly hope so. ( )
  ncgraham | Dec 26, 2013 |
According to the Librarything system this is the same as The Inimitable Jeeves. ( )
  antiquary | Nov 21, 2013 |
Jeeves, the brilliant manservant, once more saves his master Bertie Wooster and Wooster's friend Bingo Little from their usual romantic misadventures. ( )
  antiquary | Nov 19, 2013 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
IonicusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Morning, Jeeves,' I said.
UK title "The Inimitable Jeeves", US title "Jeeves"

In a series of brilliantly plotted episodes, Bertie and Jeeves help Bingo Little with his love-life, as Bingo is involved successively with tea-shop waitress Mabel; Honoria Glossop (whose laugh sounds like a train going through a tunnel); gold-toothed revolutionary Charlotte Corday Rowbotham; earl's daughter Cynthia; vicar's niece, Mary; and Rosie M. Banks, romantic novelist. Includes 18 stories: 1. Jeeves Exerts the Old Cerebellum, 2. No Wedding Bells for Bingo, 3. Aunt Agatha Speaks Her Mind, 4. Pearls Mean Tears, 5. The Pride of the Woosters is Wounded, 6. The Hero's Reward, 7. Introducing Claude and Eustace, 8. Sir Roderick Comes to Lunch, 9. A Letter of Introduction, 10. Startling Dressiness of a Lift Attendant, 11. Comrade Bingo, 12. Bingo Has a Bad Goodwood, 13. The Great Sermon Handicap, 14. The Purity of the Turf, 15. The Metropolitan Touch, 16. The Delayed Exit of Claude and Eustace, 17. Bingo and the Little Woman, 18. All's Well

'The feeling I had when Aunt Agatha trapped me in my lair that morning and spilled the bad news was that my luck had broken at last ...' When Bertie sets his heart upon some jolly purple socks, relations with Jeeves become distinctly cold and unchummy. Things become a good deal worse when Aunt Agatha demands that he abandon his life of frivolity in favour of a peal of wedding bells. But the inimitable Jeeves has the matter in hand right from the start ...and as for the socks, read on about the startling dressiness of a lift attendant.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:35 -0400)

Jeeves, valet to aristocrat Bertie Wooster, helps his employer's lovesick pal Bingo, who is deperate to marry.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,961,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible