The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse

The Inimitable Jeeves (1923)

by P. G. Wodehouse

2,163543,004 (4.03)1 / 203
Member:joririchardson
Title:The Inimitable Jeeves
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse
Info:not owned
Collections:Lost Book Collection, Read in 2013, Your library
Tags:Literary, 1900's England, 1920's England, London, Valets, Comedy

The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (1923)

The Admirable Crichton by J. M. Barrie (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Indispensible servants
    Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Lord Peter Wimsey and Bertie Wooster are rather similar characters, and they both have loyal and competent valets. Peter, of course, solves mysteries, while Bertie is more of a comic figure.

English (48)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (53)
Bertie Wooster is entangled in his friend Bingo's romantic life, and as always tries to help out, assisted by Jeeves. This is the book where Bertie attempts to soften Bingo's uncle's heart by taking on an unlikely impersonation, and it's also the book containing the famous 'Great Sermon Handicap'. Brilliantly funny in places. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Wodehouse had Dickens gift for names: Bingo Little, Gussie Finknottle, Honoria Glossop, Claude and Eustace, etc... ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 22, 2016 |
English aristocrat Bertie Wooster is a complete blithering idiot who is taken advantage of by all of his friends. The only way he manages to survive at all is because his butler, Jeeves, is the smartest person in the world and surreptitiously gets him out of all of his troubles. In this book, Bertie’s main problem is that his friend, Bingo Little, falls in love with a different woman in every other chapter, and demands Bertie’s help in getting the lady to return his affections, getting his uncle’s approval to marry the lady, or both.

My parents have been telling me to read these books for years, and they were right to recommend them. I laughed out loud at Wodehouse’s hilarity. Bertie’s dialogue is definitely one of the high points of the novel because he talks of everyday things in rather unusual ways. For example, when the ladies leave the gentlemen at the table after dinner on evening, Bertie describes it thus: “Lady Wickhammersley gave the signal for the females of the species to leg it, and they duly stampeded.” The only problem I had with the book is that there was a fair amount of British slang that I didn’t understand (a whangee? Seriously?). I thought I was relatively knowledgeable about the differences between British and American English, but I’m not so sure now.

Overall, this was a great read. It’s hilarious, especially if you appreciate English humor, and I’ll definitely be picking up more of Wodehouse’s books. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
I found this first installment of Bertie and Jeeves to be rather tiresome. The adventures sometimes featured Aunt Agatha, a friend named Bingo who had an uncle that also figure prominently, and a string of female acquaintances of Bingo's. I wonder if part of the reason I grew tired of it is the similarity in plot of several of the stories that loosely belong sequentially together and the continued "introduction" to some of the characters. It was first serialized and later put into book form. Jeeves does have a way of handling most any situation. I listened to the audio version of the book. I suspect others might enjoy it more than I did. I'm not much into gambling, and that was central to several stories. ( )
  thornton37814 | Dec 28, 2015 |
Bertie Wooster and his manservant, Jeeves, embark on many adventures involving family and friends. Its guaranteed that hilarity will ensue. While Bertie is enmeshed in some crazy scheme, Jeeves undoubtedly will go behind the scenes to save the day. One never knows what sort of silly situation Bertie or his friends will end up in.

Well-off Bertie is not exactly like anyone I’ve ever known. I did know a man who didn’t bother working as he had enough money to live on but he had a rather more modern lifestyle than Bertie does. After all, these stories were published around 1920.

There is no comparison with the jaunty, succinct exchanges between Bertie and Jeeves. They are hilarious in that they convey so much with so few words.

‘Steggles is a bad man. From now on, Jeeves, we must watch Harold like hawks.’
‘Undoubtedly, sir.’
‘Ceaseless vigilance, what?’
‘Precisely, sir.’
‘You wouldn’t care to sleep in his room, Jeeves?’
‘No, sir, I should not.’
‘No, nor would I, if it comes to that. But dash it all,’ I said, ‘we’re letting ourselves get rattled! We’re losing our nerve. This won’t do. How can Steggles possibly get at Harold, even if he wants to?’
There was no cheering young Bingo up. He’s one of those birds who simply leap at the morbid view, if you give them half a chance.
‘There are all sorts of ways of nobbling favourites,’ he said, in a sort of death-bed voice. ‘You ought to read some of these racing novels. In Pipped on the Post, Lord Jasper Mauleverer as near as a toucher outed Bonny Betsy by bribing the head lad to slip a cobra into her stable the night before the Derby!’
‘What are the chances of a cobra biting Harold, Jeeves?’
‘Slight, I should imagine, sir. And in such an event, knowing the boy as intimately as I do, my anxiety would be entirely for the snake.’
‘Still, unceasing vigilance, Jeeves.’
‘Most certainly, sir.’

My favorite story in this collection is The Metropolitan Touch. Bertie’s friend Bingo Little thinks he’s in love and will do just about anything to make himself look worthy to the young lady of his affection. This includes taking over the directing of a Christmas play in a rural community. Of course he has no experience at directing plays. Absolutely brilliant! I seriously laughed out loud throughout the performance part.

Even though Jeeves always saves the day, my favorite character is Bertie. I love his exasperation and his chirpy colloquialisms. “What the deuce?” “a corking reward,” and “it will be a frost” are just three examples.

I’ve previously read Jeeves in the Morning and Carry On, Jeeves and while I love them both, I think I love this book even more! Do read this book if you enjoy old-style British humor. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |

Wodehouse, P. G.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
IonicusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straaten, Peter vanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Morning, Jeeves,' I said.
UK title "The Inimitable Jeeves", US title "Jeeves"

In a series of brilliantly plotted episodes, Bertie and Jeeves help Bingo Little with his love-life, as Bingo is involved successively with tea-shop waitress Mabel; Honoria Glossop (whose laugh sounds like a train going through a tunnel); gold-toothed revolutionary Charlotte Corday Rowbotham; earl's daughter Cynthia; vicar's niece, Mary; and Rosie M. Banks, romantic novelist. Includes 18 stories: 1. Jeeves Exerts the Old Cerebellum, 2. No Wedding Bells for Bingo, 3. Aunt Agatha Speaks Her Mind, 4. Pearls Mean Tears, 5. The Pride of the Woosters is Wounded, 6. The Hero's Reward, 7. Introducing Claude and Eustace, 8. Sir Roderick Comes to Lunch, 9. A Letter of Introduction, 10. Startling Dressiness of a Lift Attendant, 11. Comrade Bingo, 12. Bingo Has a Bad Goodwood, 13. The Great Sermon Handicap, 14. The Purity of the Turf, 15. The Metropolitan Touch, 16. The Delayed Exit of Claude and Eustace, 17. Bingo and the Little Woman, 18. All's Well

'The feeling I had when Aunt Agatha trapped me in my lair that morning and spilled the bad news was that my luck had broken at last ...' When Bertie sets his heart upon some jolly purple socks, relations with Jeeves become distinctly cold and unchummy. Things become a good deal worse when Aunt Agatha demands that he abandon his life of frivolity in favour of a peal of wedding bells. But the inimitable Jeeves has the matter in hand right from the start ...and as for the socks, read on about the startling dressiness of a lift attendant.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:44 -0400)

Jeeves, valet to aristocrat Bertie Wooster, helps his employer's lovesick pal Bingo, who is deperate to marry.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,017,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible