The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse

The Inimitable Jeeves (original 1923; edition 1956)

by P. G. Wodehouse

Series: Jeeves (1)

2,249602,850 (4.02)1 / 206
Member:litalex
Title:The Inimitable Jeeves
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse
Info:Hutchinson (1956), Edition: Autograph ed, Hardcover, 192 pages

The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (1923)

The Admirable Crichton by J. M. Barrie (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Indispensible servants
    Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Lord Peter Wimsey and Bertie Wooster are rather similar characters, and they both have loyal and competent valets. Peter, of course, solves mysteries, while Bertie is more of a comic figure.

English (55)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (60)
I usually read Wodehouse's Wooster and Jeeves when I'm in a reading slump. The warm, sunny prose sets me right after a chapter and then I go off and read whatever I fancy.

This time, however, I decided to finish the entire book. And I did enjoy it! It was so witty and if there's ever a man to write proper British banter, it would be Wodehouse. However, after some time, I found Bertie Wooster to be seriously irritating. I found myself rolling my eyes a lot at his general incompetence, which I know is the point, but some of the chapters were difficult to finish.

I did appreciate the writing and how neatly Jeeves managed to wrap up everyone's loose ends by the end of each chapter but I need a little break from Wooster's gentlemanly exploits, bets and trifles.

I think I'll save my next Wodehouse for a rainy day, when I don't know what to read. But I'll probably only read a chapter at a time. c:

3.5 stars ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
The Inimitable Jeeves is a semi-novel collecting Jeeves stories by P. G. Wodehouse, first published in the United Kingdom by Herbert Jenkins, London, on 17 May 1923 and in the United States by George H. Doran, New York, on 28 September 1923, under the title Jeeves.

Contents
"Jeeves in the Springtime"
"Aunt Agatha Takes the Count"
"Scoring Off Jeeves"
"Sir Roderick Comes to Lunch"
"Jeeves and the Chump Cyril"
"The Great Sermon Handicap"
"The Purity of the Turf"
"The Metropolitan Touch"
"The Delayed Exit of Claude and Eustace"
"Bingo and the Little Woman" ( )
  bostonwendym | Jul 12, 2016 |
Once again, Bertie Wooster's bacon is saved by his valet Jeeves.

Due to a healthy inheritance, Bertie is able to enjoy the good life, spending time at the clubs or various country homes or just going about town to all the good places. That is unless his Aunt Agatha commands he appearance/participation in some sort of event while trying to marry this confirmed bachelor off. Or when his good friend Bingo needs help with his latest love, which are ever changing. Or when Claude and Eustace, the twins, need watching.

Jeeves' connections and talent for creative solutions come into play to resolve the current fix that has bound his master up. Even if Jeeves doesn't approve of the purple socks or the old Etonian Spats that Bertie has added to his sartorial style. Jeeves also prefers the quiet life.

Good for smiles and laughs in the style of 1923 when Wodehouse wrote the series. A good, fun read. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
The Inimitable Jeeves – Woodhouse
Audio version performed by Jonathan Cecil
4 stars
This is the second Jeeves book in the series. Each chapter is like a short story organized around recurring characters and returning several times to the romances of Bingo Little. Bertie takes a brief trip to New York City which allows Woodhouse to direct some wonderful word play and satire at Americans. Jonathan Cecil provides six hours of entertaining ear candy.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Jeeves is arguably P. G. Wodehouse’s greatest character creation. In this volume Jeeves hovers around in the background until brought forth by Bertie Wooster to help him or a friend out of a tight spot.

This isn’t a novel in the strictest sense but more of a chronology of short stories with running themes and reoccurring characters. Some chapters work better than others. The best ones feature some top quality humour.

A dashed good read. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Apr 13, 2016 |

Wodehouse, P. G.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
IonicusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jarvis, MartinReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straaten, Peter vanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Morning, Jeeves,' I said.
UK title "The Inimitable Jeeves", US title "Jeeves"
In a series of brilliantly plotted episodes, Bertie and Jeeves help Bingo Little with his love-life, as Bingo is involved successively with tea-shop waitress Mabel; Honoria Glossop (whose laugh sounds like a train going through a tunnel); gold-toothed revolutionary Charlotte Corday Rowbotham; earl's daughter Cynthia; vicar's niece, Mary; and Rosie M. Banks, romantic novelist. Includes 18 stories: 1. Jeeves Exerts the Old Cerebellum, 2. No Wedding Bells for Bingo, 3. Aunt Agatha Speaks Her Mind, 4. Pearls Mean Tears, 5. The Pride of the Woosters is Wounded, 6. The Hero's Reward, 7. Introducing Claude and Eustace, 8. Sir Roderick Comes to Lunch, 9. A Letter of Introduction, 10. Startling Dressiness of a Lift Attendant, 11. Comrade Bingo, 12. Bingo Has a Bad Goodwood, 13. The Great Sermon Handicap, 14. The Purity of the Turf, 15. The Metropolitan Touch, 16. The Delayed Exit of Claude and Eustace, 17. Bingo and the Little Woman, 18. All's Well

'The feeling I had when Aunt Agatha trapped me in my lair that morning and spilled the bad news was that my luck had broken at last ...' When Bertie sets his heart upon some jolly purple socks, relations with Jeeves become distinctly cold and unchummy. Things become a good deal worse when Aunt Agatha demands that he abandon his life of frivolity in favour of a peal of wedding bells. But the inimitable Jeeves has the matter in hand right from the start ...and as for the socks, read on about the startling dressiness of a lift attendant.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:44 -0400)

Jeeves, valet to aristocrat Bertie Wooster, helps his employer's lovesick pal Bingo, who is deperate to marry.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,272,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible