The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse

The Inimitable Jeeves (original 1923; edition 1956)

by P. G. Wodehouse

1,941373,516 (4.03)1 / 153
Member:litalex
Title:The Inimitable Jeeves
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse
Info:Hutchinson (1956), Edition: Autograph ed, Hardcover, 192 pages

The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (1923)

The Admirable Crichton by J. M. Barrie (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Indispensible servants
    Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Lord Peter Wimsey and Bertie Wooster are rather similar characters, and they both have loyal and competent valets. Peter, of course, solves mysteries, while Bertie is more of a comic figure.

English (32)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (37)
reader good. story very frothy. ( )
  mahallett | Feb 11, 2014 |
This is my second Wodehouse book, but my first foray into the world of Jeeves and Wooster, and I have to say ... I'm a bit disappointed.

My first Wodehouse was Leave it to Psmith, and I'm trying to figure out why I loved that and not The Inimitable Jeeves. Perhaps it's because The Inimitable Jeeves is a short story collection. I like short stories, but after one story after another of Bingo Little falling in love, he and Bertie getting into a scrape, and Jeeves helping them out of it, it all got a little tired and redundant. Perhaps reading them separately rather than back to back would have helped: they originally appeared serially. But then I miss the wonderful, crazy, interwoven plot lines in Leave it to Psmith, so perhaps I should just stick to Wodehouse's novels. There are bits of Psmith I remember to this day: his hilarious advertisement, his bungled meeting with Freddie Threepwood, his proposal to Eve, Baxter and his flowerpots. The Inimitable Jeeves, while funny, had nothing on that level of comic brilliance, in my opinion.

Of course, The Inimitable Jeeves was not only my introduction to Bertie and co., but the world's as well. Maybe they got better as they went along. I certainly hope so. ( )
  ncgraham | Dec 26, 2013 |
According to the Librarything system this is the same as The Inimitable Jeeves. ( )
  antiquary | Nov 21, 2013 |
Jeeves, the brilliant manservant, once more saves his master Bertie Wooster and Wooster's friend Bingo Little from their usual romantic misadventures. ( )
  antiquary | Nov 19, 2013 |
Wodehouse is truly a classic, and if you ever need a lift and want something funny to read, you cannot fail by choosing any Jeeves novel. Jeeves is Bertie’s butler. Bertie is the stereotypical British upper crust, living on inherited money, avoiding work at all costs, who thinks he’s brilliant, but really is dumber than a post, and who needs Jeeves to get him out of all sorts of bizarre scrapes. The common thread in this series of vignettes is Bertie’s friend Bingo, who manages to fall in love with every woman he meets, declaring each is perfect and the love of his life. My favorite is the time Bingo fell for the daughter of a revolutionary radical. In order to ingratiate himself with the girl and her family, Bingo bought a beard and disguised himself as a fellow comrade, denouncing his uncle, old Lord Bittlesham, in public. Of course, had Bingo actually married the girl, he would have been disinherited and forced to go to work, an unconscionable outcome. So in typical Jeeves fashion, the butler just mentions to a jealous suitor that Bingo is not what he appears to be. “I fear I may carelessly have disclosed Mr. Little’s (Bingo) identity to Mr. Butt (jealous suitor) . . .Indeed, now that I recall the incident, sir, I distinctly remember saying that Mr. Little’s work for the Cause really seemed to me to deserve something in the nature of public recognition.” The public unmasking that resulted led to the termination of the relationship between Bingo and the young lady. Bingo continues to make a fool of himself, requiring the assistance of Bertie (for money) and Jeeves (for intelligence). I find the series to be a savage indictment of the British upper crust who can’t seem to do anything without their butlers, far superior in ability, but who regardless think they are smarter than anyone, positive drones on society.

ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
IonicusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Morning, Jeeves,' I said.
UK title "The Inimitable Jeeves", US title "Jeeves"

In a series of brilliantly plotted episodes, Bertie and Jeeves help Bingo Little with his love-life, as Bingo is involved successively with tea-shop waitress Mabel; Honoria Glossop (whose laugh sounds like a train going through a tunnel); gold-toothed revolutionary Charlotte Corday Rowbotham; earl's daughter Cynthia; vicar's niece, Mary; and Rosie M. Banks, romantic novelist. Includes 18 stories: 1. Jeeves Exerts the Old Cerebellum, 2. No Wedding Bells for Bingo, 3. Aunt Agatha Speaks Her Mind, 4. Pearls Mean Tears, 5. The Pride of the Woosters is Wounded, 6. The Hero's Reward, 7. Introducing Claude and Eustace, 8. Sir Roderick Comes to Lunch, 9. A Letter of Introduction, 10. Startling Dressiness of a Lift Attendant, 11. Comrade Bingo, 12. Bingo Has a Bad Goodwood, 13. The Great Sermon Handicap, 14. The Purity of the Turf, 15. The Metropolitan Touch, 16. The Delayed Exit of Claude and Eustace, 17. Bingo and the Little Woman, 18. All's Well

'The feeling I had when Aunt Agatha trapped me in my lair that morning and spilled the bad news was that my luck had broken at last ...' When Bertie sets his heart upon some jolly purple socks, relations with Jeeves become distinctly cold and unchummy. Things become a good deal worse when Aunt Agatha demands that he abandon his life of frivolity in favour of a peal of wedding bells. But the inimitable Jeeves has the matter in hand right from the start ...and as for the socks, read on about the startling dressiness of a lift attendant.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:35 -0400)

Jeeves, valet to aristocrat Bertie Wooster, helps his employer's lovesick pal Bingo, who is deperate to marry.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,697,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible