The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse

The Inimitable Jeeves (original 1923; edition 1956)

by P. G. Wodehouse

2,110473,114 (4.04)1 / 188
Title:The Inimitable Jeeves
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse
Info:Hutchinson (1956), Edition: Autograph ed, Hardcover, 192 pages

The Inimitable Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (Author) (1923)

Recently added byStofvS, AnirudhTewathia, mother_chicken, courtoftheair, caalynch, private library, FancyHorse, SavageDougall
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg
    The Admirable Crichton by J. M. Barrie (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Indispensible servants
    Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers (casvelyn)
    casvelyn: Lord Peter Wimsey and Bertie Wooster are rather similar characters, and they both have loyal and competent valets. Peter, of course, solves mysteries, while Bertie is more of a comic figure.

English (42)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (47)
With short stories patched together as a book, the sameness of the Jeeves plots becomes glaringly obvious--something that's easier to ignore in the standard novels. Still, the writing and characters are as charming as always. 3.5 stars. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |
Bought this book at my church's semi-annual yard sale to benefit missions.
Eastmont Baptist Church, Montgomery, Alabama USA

I've seen some of the Jeeves and Wooster shows on TV and enjoyed them.
This was a very enjoyable, humorous, quick read, a small book I could take in my purse anywhere.

Don't we all wish we had a Jeeves to take care of us, to provide our every need even before we knew we needed it, and to solve all our problems and our friends' problems with ease and diplomacy? Bertie Wooster is a young man of Edwardian England, a socialite who has received a good education and seemingly is not required to work for his living. He and his friends frequently find themselves "in the soup", usually of their own making, and Bertie's valet always adroitly manages to restore them to the good graces of their families. The contrast between Bertie's casual Edwardian slang ("What ho and all that rot" for example), behavior, and attitude and Jeeves' very proper, conservative manner ("Very good, sir") was part of the fun of reading this. ( )
  FancyHorse | Oct 17, 2015 |
Funny but formulaic. ( )
  mlfhlibrarian | Oct 17, 2015 |
9-14-2015 - Currently reading 00-The Man with Two Left Feet
  mjbaker | Sep 15, 2015 |
I will not be able to do justice to this work as my binge reading of Wodehouse is damping my humour nerve due to my increased acquaintance with his methods and limiting plot twists. That said, book is not bad, and even had me laughing 4-5 places in whole, though with Wodehouse I have come to expect to be thrown in fits every other page. Forced circumstances contrived to bring out strange occurrences and and infallibility of Jeeves can get on nerve. In fact, by the end I was treating less like humour fiction and more like being in personal competition with Jeeves in solving the soup in which author inevitably falls. I am easily imagine story to be really cliched and yet funny motion picture. ( )
  ashishg | Aug 31, 2015 |

Wodehouse, P. G.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hitch, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
IonicusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straaten, Peter vanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Morning, Jeeves,' I said.
UK title "The Inimitable Jeeves", US title "Jeeves"

In a series of brilliantly plotted episodes, Bertie and Jeeves help Bingo Little with his love-life, as Bingo is involved successively with tea-shop waitress Mabel; Honoria Glossop (whose laugh sounds like a train going through a tunnel); gold-toothed revolutionary Charlotte Corday Rowbotham; earl's daughter Cynthia; vicar's niece, Mary; and Rosie M. Banks, romantic novelist. Includes 18 stories: 1. Jeeves Exerts the Old Cerebellum, 2. No Wedding Bells for Bingo, 3. Aunt Agatha Speaks Her Mind, 4. Pearls Mean Tears, 5. The Pride of the Woosters is Wounded, 6. The Hero's Reward, 7. Introducing Claude and Eustace, 8. Sir Roderick Comes to Lunch, 9. A Letter of Introduction, 10. Startling Dressiness of a Lift Attendant, 11. Comrade Bingo, 12. Bingo Has a Bad Goodwood, 13. The Great Sermon Handicap, 14. The Purity of the Turf, 15. The Metropolitan Touch, 16. The Delayed Exit of Claude and Eustace, 17. Bingo and the Little Woman, 18. All's Well

'The feeling I had when Aunt Agatha trapped me in my lair that morning and spilled the bad news was that my luck had broken at last ...' When Bertie sets his heart upon some jolly purple socks, relations with Jeeves become distinctly cold and unchummy. Things become a good deal worse when Aunt Agatha demands that he abandon his life of frivolity in favour of a peal of wedding bells. But the inimitable Jeeves has the matter in hand right from the start ...and as for the socks, read on about the startling dressiness of a lift attendant.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:44 -0400)

Jeeves, valet to aristocrat Bertie Wooster, helps his employer's lovesick pal Bingo, who is deperate to marry.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,846,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible