Force of Nature by Jane Harper

Force of Nature

by Jane Harper

Series: Aaron Falk (2)

English (71)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (73)
Second of the Aaron Falk Australian crime mystery series. An informant in a financial fraud case goes missing during an executive adventure retreat with her company. Five women are in the group who are sent into the bush with no guide and little experience in outdoor survival skills. They range from one of the owners of the company to a data entry person. The missing woman has a brash, impatient personality which provides motive for a lot of people in the book.

Jane Harper writes a good suspense story and in this one she nails the characterizations of the women in the group. I'll be reading (listening to) more of this series. The narrator of the audiobook is good, but the volume tends to go up and down on the version that I had. ( )
  tangledthread | Mar 1, 2019 |
Couldn’t put this one down. Falk returns to investigate what happened to his informant when she disappears on a weekend hike with 4 other women. Suspenseful and well written. Human nature and psychology insights. ( )
  bereanna | Feb 16, 2019 |
Jane Harper writes wonderful novels that take place in Australia. This is the second of the Aaron Falk series. In this, five women go on a job related endurance trip to the outback. One (Alice) goes missing. Falk is a police investigator who happens to be using Alice as an informant to get information about the owners of the company she works for and so he gets involved in the search for her. The novel segues between the narrative of the 4 days the women were in the wilderness and the search taking place to find them. There is a lot going on in the book and Harper does a great job of weaving a suspenseful tale and deepening the portrayal of Falk, as we will continue to see in her subsequent books. ( )
  bogopea | Feb 11, 2019 |
This is the second Aaron Falk novel which I didn't know before I began reading. You don't need to read The Dry first, but there are a few references to what happened in that novel during the reading of this one.
Five women go on a wilderness adventure as a company outing. Only four return. Alice Russell is not with the group. Aaron and his partner, Carmen, had been working with Alice on some financial documents regarding money laundering, so they are concerned that this may have led to foul play and Alice's disappearance.
There is much more to this thriller, with many resentments between the five women surfacing throughout the book.
I look forward to reading more from this author.
#ForceOfNature #JaneHarper ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Finally I've laid hands on number two in the Australian series by Jane Harper. The library had a long waiting list, now it's my turn.

'The Dry' impressed me although I was hesitant about Aaron Falk as a character, but the Australian setting and the tight writing and clever plot carried me along. I'm pleased to say that Aaron Falk is coming out of his shell in this novel and I feel less inclined to shake him!

Working with his colleague, Carmen, for the financial investigative side of the Federal police, Falk is trying to obtain documents from a 'mole'. It's difficult and the pressure is on when the 'mole' goes with her company on one of these management bush treks and disappears. Has she been murdered by the company director? What has happened?

Again we have Harper's tricky plot full of surprises. She writes well and makes the reader feel the Australian bush and the terrors of being lost in it. We have a bunch of complex 3D characters and some raw emotions and it was hard to guess whodunit.

The novel is a stand alone but I'd advise readers to start with 'The Dry' and then read this one just to get a more complete picture of the main character.

A great read for anyone and especially for those who like mysteries. ( )
1 vote p.d.r.lindsay | Jan 17, 2019 |

Jane Harperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shanahan, SteveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Pete and Charlotte, with love
Later, the four remaining women could fully agree on only two things.

But one of the women doesn’t come out of the woods. And each of her companions tells a slightly different story about what happened.

Federal Police Agent Aaron Falk has a keen interest in the whereabouts of the missing hiker. In an investigation that takes him deep into isolated forest, Falk discovers secrets lurking in the mountains, and a tangled web of personal and professional friendship, suspicion, and betrayal among the hikers. But did that lead to murder? Amazon

When five colleagues are forced to go on a corporate retreat in the wilderness, they reluctantly pick up their backpacks and start walking down the muddy path. But one of the women doesn't come out of the woods. And each of her companions tells a slightly different story about what happened. Federal Police Agent Aaron Falk has a keen interest in the whereabouts of the missing hiker. In an investigation that takes him deep into isolated forest, Falk discovers secrets lurking in the mountains, and a tangled web of personal and professional friendship, suspicion, and betrayal among the hikers. But did that lead to murder?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,485,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible