Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Brave New World (original 1932; edition 2013)

by Aldous Huxley (Author)

Huxley's classic prophetic novel describes the socialized horrors of a futuristic utopia devoid of individual freedom.
Member:JFDausman
Title:Brave New World
Authors:Aldous Huxley (Author)
Info:Everyman's Library (2013), Edition: Reprint, 280 pages

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (1932)

1984 by George Orwell (chrisharpe, zasmine, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling, Waldstein)
    zasmine: For Orwell was inspired by it. And Orwell's 1984 is as much of a prize as it.
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Waldstein: It's essential to read Huxley's and Orwell's books together. Both present the ultimate version of the totalitarian state, but there the similarities end. While Orwell argues in favour of hate and fear, Huxley suggests that pleasure and drugs would be far more effective as controlling forces. Who was the more prescient prophet? That's what every reader should decide for him- or herself.… (more)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (phoenix7g, meggyweg, Babou_wk, haraldo)
    Babou_wk: Contre-utopie, société future où l'unique but de la vie est le bonheur. Toute pratique requérant de la réflexion est bannie.
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (MinaKelly)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Both are benchmarks for dystopian literature.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (afyfe)
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, tehran)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    tehran: Brave New World was largely inspired by Zamyatin's We.
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (sanddancer)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (sturlington)
    The Tempest by William Shakespeare (Sylak)
    Sylak: Caliban in The Tempest has many parallels with John the Savage in Brave New World.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr, KayCliff)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one (well, you should read 1984, too, but you knew that already, didn't you?).
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (KayCliff)
    Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm (rat_in_a_cage)
    rat_in_a_cage: Hinweis auf Rückentext bei »Hier sangen früher Vögel«.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (fundevogel)
    Daedalus; or, Science and the Future by J. B. S. Haldane (leigonj)
    leigonj: Haldane's ideas of eugenics and ectogenesis, which are laid out alongside others including world government and psychoactive drugs, strongly influenced Huxley's novel.
    Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut (Anonymous user)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (Uncut Edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (meggyweg)
    Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: The dystopic comedy by by Jasper Fforde, not the adult novel read by housewives.
    Men Like Gods by H. G. Wells (Sylak)
    Sylak: Basically a parody of Wells' own book published seven years earlier.

1930s (3)
Midwest (12)
Read (4)

English (518)  Spanish (19)  French (8)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (567)
I found this a little difficult to get into, and I wasn't really a huge fan of the ending either. Lots of interesting ideas, Huxley does a good job of world-building and then the exposition of that world to the reader. I think I was a little letdown in that this book had been hyped as a rival to Orwell's 1984, and I didn't find it nearly as compelling or as "scary" as Orwell's work. Honestly, towards the end, I almost wished I could have lived in Huxley's world. Your life sucks and you have a shit job, but you've been conditioned to like it anyway? Sounds fantastic. ( )
  Fardo | Oct 15, 2019 |
The fourth and last book in my list of dystopias (1984, Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm, Brave New World), I found it to also be the weakest.

That is not to say that it was a bad book. I have read many books that were worse than this one. But, compared to the other books, it just does not hold up. Maybe it is because only one character really struggles with what is happening. Maybe it is because of the sometimes weird and confusing style in which the book is written, with multiple scenes happening simultanously, one paragraph at a time. Maybe it's because the setting just isn't all too dystopian (and yes, I realize that that was the point).

Yes, the general idea of the book, of a society completely complacent, conditioned, unquestioning, is scary. But for me, it cannot really transport its scariness like 1984 or Fahrenheit did. Which is sad.

I like the final ~20% of the book a lot more than the previous 80%, just because there is actually some reflection on the setting, comparable with the dialogue between Guy Montag and his Chief in Fahrenheit 451, or The Book in 1984. Those are the parts of the respective books I liked most. But I found it hard to really identify with "the savage" in Brave New World, because he was just so different from me. That is probably by design, but that does not make me like the character more.

It's still a decent book, but I would recommend the other three books from the list over this one, in the order in which they are given in the list. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
Huxley's bleak future prophesized, in Brave New World was a capitalist civilization, which had been reconstituted through scientific and psychological engineering, a world in which people are genetically designed to be passive and useful to the ruling class. Huxley opens the book by allowing the reader to eavesdrop on the tour of the Fertilizing Room of the Central London Hatchery and Conditioning center, where the high tech reproduction takes place. Bernard Marx (one of the characters in the story) seems alone, harboring an ill-defined longing to break free. Satirical and disturbing, Brave New World is set some 600 years into the future. Reproduction is controlled through genetic engineering, and people are bred into a rigid class system. As they mature, they are conditioned to be happy with the roles that society has created for them. Concepts such as family, freedom, love, and culture are considered grotesque.
  mrosar43 | Oct 1, 2019 |
Book's Summary: Huxley's bleak future prophesized, in Brave New World was a capitalist civilization, which had been reconstituted through scientific and psychological engineering, a world in which people are genetically designed to be passive and useful to the ruling class. Huxley opens the book by allowing the reader to eavesdrop on the tour of the Fertilizing Room of the Central London Hatchery and Conditioning center, where the high tech reproduction takes places. Bernard Marx (one of the characters in the story) seems alone, harboring an ill-defined longing to break free. Satirical and disturbing, Brave New World is set some 600 years into the future. Reproduction is controlled through genetic engineering, and people are bred into a rigid class system. As they mature, they are conditioned to be happy with the roles that society has created for them. Concepts such as family, freedom, love, and culture are considered grotesque.
  Jessica_Salinas | Sep 26, 2019 |

Snow, GeorgeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Southwick, RobertEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szentmihályi Szabó, PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Les utopies apparaissent bien plus réalisables qu'on ne le croyait autrefois. Et nous nous trouvons actuellement devant une question bien autrement angoissante : comment éviter leur réalisation définitive ?… Les utopies sont réalisables. La vie marche vers les utopies. Et peut-être un siècle nouveau commence-t-il, un siècle où les intellectuels et la classe cultivée rêveront aux moyens d'éviter les utopies et de retourner à une société non utopique moins 'parfaite' et plus libre.
(—Nicholas Berdiaeff)
A squat grey building of only thirty-four stories.
Unorthodoxy threatens more than the life of a mere individual; it strikes at Society itself.
..."What fun it would be," he thought, "if one didn't have to think about happiness!"
"I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin ... I'm claiming the right to be unhappy". "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen tomorrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." ... "I claim them all".
"All conditioning aims at that: making people like their unescapable social destiny."
"No civilisation without social stability. No social stability without individual stability."
Brave New World is by Aldous Huxley. If you have H.G. Wells as the author of Brave New World, please correct your data. Thank you.

Legacy Library: Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Aldous Huxley's legacy profile.

See Aldous Huxley's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,944,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible