Brave New World (P.S.) by Aldous Huxley

Brave New World (P.S.) (original 1932; edition 2010)

by Aldous Huxley

Member:karmabodhi
Title:Brave New World (P.S.)
Authors:Aldous Huxley
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2010), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:classic

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (1932)

1930s (2)
Unread books (1,065)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (chrisharpe, zasmine, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling)
    zasmine: For Orwell was inspired by it. And Orwell's 1984 is as much of a prize as it.
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (phoenix7g, meggyweg, Babou_wk, haraldo)
    Babou_wk: Contre-utopie, société future où l'unique but de la vie est le bonheur. Toute pratique requérant de la réflexion est bannie.
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (MinaKelly)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (afyfe)
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, tehran)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    tehran: Brave New World was largely inspired by Zamyatin's We.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Both are benchmarks for dystopian literature.
    The Tempest by William Shakespeare (Sylak)
    Sylak: Caliban in The Tempest has many parallels with John the Savage in Brave New World.
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (sanddancer)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (KayCliff)
    Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut (Anonymous user)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one (well, you should read 1984, too, but you knew that already, didn't you?).
    Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm (rat_in_a_cage)
    rat_in_a_cage: Hinweis auf Rückentext bei »Hier sangen früher Vögel«.
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (fundevogel)
    The Devils of Loudun by Aldous Huxley (John_Vaughan)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (uncut edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (meggyweg)
    Love among the ruins : a romance of the near future by Evelyn Waugh (KayCliff)
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (Mouseear)
    Men Like Gods by H. G. Wells (Sylak)
    Sylak: Basically a parody of Wells' own book published seven years earlier.

English (389)  Spanish (13)  French (5)  German (4)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (425)
READ IN ENGLISH

I read Brave New World for English literature, and it really made me want to read more Dystopian literature (I soon afterwards read 1984, Lord of the Flies, The Handmaid's Tale and Fahrenheit 451).

I particularly liked the beginning. It was so strong, throwing us into the world and the absurd idea of producing people in a factory. (It's a very nice way to give us insight into the world we've just entered, with its ridiculous caste system). Unhappiness is cured in the society, but is it? (Is it not worse to be forbidden to feel depressed?) The start was very interesting, but especially the middle part worked not so well for me. The story seemed to drag a bit on that part. The ending again, was stronger.

Personally I liked Brave New World better than 1984. I would definitely recommend it. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
I've got to be honest, this was one of those books I read (had to read) in high school, and because that was SO long ago, I'm not sure I remember my feelings toward it. I do remember liking it. Obviously, I should re-read it. (note to self: create a "to be read AGAIN" list...)

:-) ( )
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
2.5/5 ( )
  jfoooo | Dec 17, 2014 |
One of the books that had a great influence upon my life. Must read. ( )
  otikhonova | Dec 8, 2014 |
Well, I can imagine this book would have had more impact in the age before all the things it warns us about came true.

Additionally, the writing style was of that strange 1930's-1960's era writing you see occasionally where breezy and overly simplistic prose was fashionable, so I don't want to say it's poor, just that it attempts to be a certain something, achieves it, but I don't care much for it.

Did the people that read this in the 1930's understand he was generally AGAINST the way that world was? Because we pretty much did exactly all those things. Save the loss of family identity and our puritanical ways, both of which I personally could have done without. We have a caste system, indoctrination, ubiquitous pharmaceutical use, the distractions of entertainment and sport, and the hatred of true individualism (as opposed to the knee jerk libertarian fantasy type) and the general mistrust of learning...but we managed to keep the pointless attention on the family (OMG OMG OMG...it's about the kids!), and the deeply ingrained American Puritan history. Terrific.

If they didn't make you read this in school, there isn't any real social or literary reason to begin now. ( )
1 vote wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |
It has remained for Aldous Huxley to build the Utopia to end Utopias-or such Utopias as go to mechanics for their inspiration, at any rate. He has satirized the imminent spiritual trustification of mankind, and has made rowdy and impertinent sport of the World State whose motto shall be Community, Identity, Stability.

Aldous Huxleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orras, I. H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snow, GeorgeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szentmihályi Szabó, PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Les utopies apparaissent bien plus réalisables qu'on ne le croyait autrefois. Et nous nous trouvons actuellement devant une question bien autrement angoissante : comment éviter leur réalisation définitive ?… Les utopies sont réalisables. La vie marche vers les utopies. Et peut-être un siècle nouveau commence-t-il, un siècle où les intellectuels et la classe cultivée rêveront aux moyens d'éviter les utopies et de retourner à une société non utopique moins 'parfaite' et plus libre.
(—Nicholas Berdiaeff)
A squat grey building of only thirty-four stories.
Unorthodoxy threatens more than the life of a mere individual; it strikes at Society itself.
..."What fun it would be," he thought, "if one didn't have to think about happiness!"
Brave New World is by Aldous Huxley. If you have H.G. Wells as the author of Brave New World, please correct your data. Thank you.

A fantasy of the future which sheds a blazing, critical light on the present - considered to be Aldous Huxley’s most enduring masterpiece.

Far in the future, the World Controllers have created the ideal society. Through clever use of genetic engineering, brainwashing and recreational sex and drugs all its members are happy consumers. Bernard Marx seems alone harbouring an ill-defined longing to break free. A visit to one of the few remaining Savage Reservations where the old, imperfect life still continues, may be the cure for his distress…

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060929871, Paperback)

"Community, Identity, Stability" is the motto of Aldous Huxley's utopian World State. Here everyone consumes daily grams of soma, to fight depression, babies are born in laboratories, and the most popular form of entertainment is a "Feelie," a movie that stimulates the senses of sight, hearing, and touch. Though there is no violence and everyone is provided for, Bernard Marx feels something is missing and senses his relationship with a young women has the potential to be much more than the confines of their existence allow. Huxley foreshadowed many of the practices and gadgets we take for granted today--let's hope the sterility and absence of individuality he predicted aren't yet to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:26 -0400)

A fantasy of the future that sheds a blazing critical light on the present--considered to be Aldous Huxley's most enduring masterpiece. Mr. Huxley is eloquent in his declaration of an artist's faith in man, and it is his eloquence, bitter in attack, noble in defense, that, when one has closed the book, one remembers. A Fantastic racy narrative, full of much excellent satire and literary horseplay. It is as sparkling, provocative, as brilliant, in the appropriate sense, as impressive ads the day it was published. This is in part because its prophetic voice has remained surprisingly contemporary, both in its particular forecasts and in its general tone of semiserious alarm. But it is much more because the book succeeds as a work of art. This is surely Huxley's best book.… (more)

Legacy Library: Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Aldous Huxley's legacy profile.

See Aldous Huxley's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,087,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible