Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Brave New World (original 1932; edition 2007)

by Aldous Huxley

Member:KerryD1971
Title:Brave New World
Authors:Aldous Huxley
Info:Vintage Classics (2007), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Read 2012, Your library
Tags:Fiction

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (1932)

1984 by George Orwell (chrisharpe, zasmine, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling, Waldstein)
    zasmine: For Orwell was inspired by it. And Orwell's 1984 is as much of a prize as it.
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Waldstein: It's essential to read Huxley's and Orwell's books together. Both present the ultimate version of the totalitarian state, but there the similarities end. While Orwell argues in favour of hate and fear, Huxley suggests that pleasure and drugs would be far more effective as controlling forces. Who was the more prescient prophet? That's what every reader should decide for his- or herself.… (more)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (phoenix7g, meggyweg, Babou_wk, haraldo)
    Babou_wk: Contre-utopie, société future où l'unique but de la vie est le bonheur. Toute pratique requérant de la réflexion est bannie.
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (MinaKelly)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (afyfe)
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, tehran)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    tehran: Brave New World was largely inspired by Zamyatin's We.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Both are benchmarks for dystopian literature.
    The Tempest by William Shakespeare (Sylak)
    Sylak: Caliban in The Tempest has many parallels with John the Savage in Brave New World.
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr, KayCliff)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one (well, you should read 1984, too, but you knew that already, didn't you?).
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (sanddancer)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (KayCliff)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (sturlington)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (fundevogel)
    Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm (rat_in_a_cage)
    rat_in_a_cage: Hinweis auf Rückentext bei »Hier sangen früher Vögel«.
    Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut (Anonymous user)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (Uncut Edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (meggyweg)
    The Devils of Loudun by Aldous Huxley (John_Vaughan)
    Love Among the Ruins by Evelyn Waugh (KayCliff)
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (Mouseear)

1930s (2)

English (446)  Spanish (16)  French (7)  German (6)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (489)
I always say, there are too many books in the world to continue reading one that doesn't grab your attention from the start. That being said, I am abandoning this audiobook after only 1.5 CDs. I have no clue what is going on and it is not keeping my attention. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
A classic that is probably more relevant today than when it was written. I was left questioning my own beliefs about the morality of eugenics and my preconceived ideas on intimacy. Left with a haunted image by the end. ( )
  BrittanyLyn | Jun 22, 2016 |
Also reviewed here: http://porcelainulairi.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/review-brave-new-world/

Spoilers begin (skip down if you want to read the book).

Summary: It is the far future where babies are literally made, recreational drug use is highly encouraged, and sex is open and free. We enter the novel in a London Hatchery and Conditioning Center. Young adults are receiving a tour of the facility in order to better understand the processes. Children are produced in decanting bottles and conditioned depending on which caste they will belong.The lower caste’s development is adjusted in order to make them happy and content with their lower status, while the Alpha caste gets free reign. Not to mention the fact that all of the lower castes are “decanted” in batches of up to 96 identical children. Soma is the drug of choice, and it is given often to elicit “holidays” from anything remotely stressful or different. Sex is often and with everyone; they share. Everyone is happy and enjoys life, other than the few strange ducks, like Bernard, who enjoy being alone.

Bernard really likes Lenina, and while Lenina is happy to have sex with him, he has this strange idea of having her to himself. No shares-ies. In order to impress her, he takes Lenina to the Savage reservation. They witness a whipping and encounter a woman named Linda, who is from their society but got lost on a visiting trip. Linda has a son, John, who grew up on the reservation, but has always longed to see the “brave new world.” John returns with Bernard and Lenina only to become a sideshow. After a while, John becomes fed up with the way society is run and is disgusted when Lenina tries to bed him. To top it all off, his mother dies after being in a soma-induced coma. In the end, he tries to stay isolated, whipping himself for atonement, only to become a form of entertainment. In the frenzy that ensues, he participates in a soma-filled orgy and eventually hangs himself from shame. The end.

------Spoilers end.-

Thoughts: What a doozy. I normally hate to give away everything, just in case someone who reads this would like to pick up the novel, but my issues with this book all stem from the end. I was really enjoying Huxley’s 1930′s vision of the future. It really made you ask yourself, “Would this be good or bad?” In some ways, this future would be bleak. No love. No family. No freedom, at least not for the lower castes.

Children are programmed from birth to think and act a certain way. Their lives predetermined, their minds literally poisoned. Looking at it this way, Huxley’s new world is a horrible future. One we would hope to never see.

Then, they visit the Savage reservation, and this world seems bleaker. And as we experience life with John, he seems the more worse for wear. He is stressed, lonely, depressed, confused, lost, angry. After the incident with his mother, he is distraught. The people in the society do not fear death. They do not feel lonely since they are always together. Soma takes the confusion and stress away. No crime or violence. Emotions associated with jealousy and anger are non-existent since “everyone belongs to everyone else.” After seeing what John goes through, and the choice he makes in the end, you have to wonder if the society was all that bad.

I really enjoyed the debate this sparked within me. It got me thinking. Then, Huxley threw religion into the mix. A lot of it at the end. I think this is what left a sour taste in my mouth. It also really bothered me that John was pretty cool with being called “Mr. Savage.”

Review: I like the concept a lot. I enjoyed his detail of a new and “utopian” society. I especially reveled in the controversy of what is really utopian. But it seemed more of a book that was condemning science or religion, or maybe even both. And the ending left me disenchanted. A co-worker told me she had to re-read it and then she fell in love. Maybe I could try that, since I wanted to like this book and was a little disheartened when it didn’t live up to my expectations. But a good book shouldn’t require a re-reading, it should make you desire to read it again. I have no desire to read this book a second time around. ( )
  Ulairi | Jun 16, 2016 |
I'll admit that I read this because I felt like I ought to; I didn't particularly enjoy it. While the overall theme was good, the specific things Huxley was worried about causing the downfall of freedom and human progress are...bizarre, to say the least. There's got to be a more recent novel that does this without harping on about the evils of women. As an ancestor to the genre, it's important, but that doesn't mean it's still the most important thing for people to read now. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Jun 7, 2016 |
Wow! This is such a great book. For being written in 1932, the writing style had a much more contemporary feel than I had expected going in. I was also pleasantly surprised by the slyly humorous undercurrents. How will I ever erase Morgana Rothschild's unibrow from my mind? |:-0) ( )
  ScoLgo | Jun 6, 2016 |
En este libro visionario escrito en 1932, Aldous Huxley imagina una sociedad que utilizaría la genética y el clonaje para el condicionamiento y el control de los individuos. En esta sociedad futurista, todos los niños son concebidos en probetas. Ellos son genéticamente condicionados para pertenecer a una de las 5 categorías de población. De la más inteligente a la más estupida: les Alpha (la elite), los Betas (los ejecutantes), los Gammas (los empleados subalternos), los Deltas y los Epsilones (destinados a trabajos arduos). "El mundo feliz" describe también lo que seria una dictadura perfecta que tendría la apariencia de una democracia, una cárcel sin muros en el cual los prisioneros no sonarían en evadirse. Un sistema de esclavitud donde, gracias al sistema de consumo y el entretenimiento, los esclavos "tendrían el amor de su servitud".
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

It has remained for Aldous Huxley to build the Utopia to end Utopias-or such Utopias as go to mechanics for their inspiration, at any rate. He has satirized the imminent spiritual trustification of mankind, and has made rowdy and impertinent sport of the World State whose motto shall be Community, Identity, Stability.

Huxley, Aldousprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orras, I. H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snow, GeorgeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szentmihályi Szabó, PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Les utopies apparaissent bien plus réalisables qu'on ne le croyait autrefois. Et nous nous trouvons actuellement devant une question bien autrement angoissante : comment éviter leur réalisation définitive ?… Les utopies sont réalisables. La vie marche vers les utopies. Et peut-être un siècle nouveau commence-t-il, un siècle où les intellectuels et la classe cultivée rêveront aux moyens d'éviter les utopies et de retourner à une société non utopique moins 'parfaite' et plus libre.
(—Nicholas Berdiaeff)
A squat grey building of only thirty-four stories.
Unorthodoxy threatens more than the life of a mere individual; it strikes at Society itself.
..."What fun it would be," he thought, "if one didn't have to think about happiness!"
"I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin ... I'm claiming the right to be unhappy". "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen tomorrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." ... "I claim them all".
Brave New World is by Aldous Huxley. If you have H.G. Wells as the author of Brave New World, please correct your data. Thank you.

A fantasy of the future which sheds a blazing, critical light on the present - considered to be Aldous Huxley’s most enduring masterpiece.

Far in the future, the World Controllers have created the ideal society. Through clever use of genetic engineering, brainwashing and recreational sex and drugs all its members are happy consumers. Bernard Marx seems alone harbouring an ill-defined longing to break free. A visit to one of the few remaining Savage Reservations where the old, imperfect life still continues, may be the cure for his distress…

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060929871, Paperback)

"Community, Identity, Stability" is the motto of Aldous Huxley's utopian World State. Here everyone consumes daily grams of soma, to fight depression, babies are born in laboratories, and the most popular form of entertainment is a "Feelie," a movie that stimulates the senses of sight, hearing, and touch. Though there is no violence and everyone is provided for, Bernard Marx feels something is missing and senses his relationship with a young women has the potential to be much more than the confines of their existence allow. Huxley foreshadowed many of the practices and gadgets we take for granted today--let's hope the sterility and absence of individuality he predicted aren't yet to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:05 -0400)

A fantasy of the future that sheds a blazing critical light on the present--considered to be Aldous Huxley's most enduring masterpiece. Mr. Huxley is eloquent in his declaration of an artist's faith in man, and it is his eloquence, bitter in attack, noble in defense, that, when one has closed the book, one remembers. A Fantastic racy narrative, full of much excellent satire and literary horseplay. It is as sparkling, provocative, as brilliant, in the appropriate sense, as impressive ads the day it was published. This is in part because its prophetic voice has remained surprisingly contemporary, both in its particular forecasts and in its general tone of semiserious alarm. But it is much more because the book succeeds as a work of art. This is surely Huxley's best book.… (more)

Legacy Library: Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Aldous Huxley's legacy profile.

See Aldous Huxley's author page.

3 2003

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,484,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible