Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Brave New World (original 1932; edition 2007)

by Aldous Huxley

Member:KerryD1971
Title:Brave New World
Authors:Aldous Huxley
Info:Vintage Classics (2007), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Read 2012, Your library
Tags:Fiction

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (1932)

1930s (2)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (chrisharpe, zasmine, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling)
    zasmine: For Orwell was inspired by it. And Orwell's 1984 is as much of a prize as it.
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (phoenix7g, meggyweg, Babou_wk, haraldo)
    Babou_wk: Contre-utopie, société future où l'unique but de la vie est le bonheur. Toute pratique requérant de la réflexion est bannie.
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (MinaKelly)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (afyfe)
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, tehran)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    tehran: Brave New World was largely inspired by Zamyatin's We.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Both are benchmarks for dystopian literature.
    The Tempest by William Shakespeare (Sylak)
    Sylak: Caliban in The Tempest has many parallels with John the Savage in Brave New World.
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (sanddancer)
    Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut (Anonymous user)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (KayCliff)
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one (well, you should read 1984, too, but you knew that already, didn't you?).
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (fundevogel)
    Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm (rat_in_a_cage)
    rat_in_a_cage: Hinweis auf Rückentext bei »Hier sangen früher Vögel«.
    The Devils of Loudun by Aldous Huxley (John_Vaughan)
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (Mouseear)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (uncut edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (meggyweg)
    Love among the ruins : a romance of the near future by Evelyn Waugh (KayCliff)
    Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron by Jasper Fforde (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: The dystopic comedy by by Jasper Fforde, not the adult novel read by housewives.

English (386)  Spanish (12)  French (5)  German (4)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (421)
I remember finding the first chapter boring, the rest pretty good, and the end bewilderingly sad. I'm not sure what the author was trying to elicit, other than the empty feeling I felt towards the end. I'm not sure whether the empty feeling is a good thing, overall. Maybe I should reread it. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Meh. The dys/utopian world portrayed is quite well constructed, but the characters felt quite unrelatable to me. The total flip-flopping of Bernard felt a bit too much, the total Shakespearian indoctrination of John felt as well of the top. Adjusting for time, perhaps Lenina wasn't that one-dimensionally portrayed, but I can't help but funding her profoundly annoying. Just like Bernard. Just like the Savage. ( )
  zojjz | Sep 29, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

I read Brave New World for English literature, and it really made me want to read more Dystopian literature (I soon afterwards read 1984, Lord of the Flies, The Handmaid's Tale and Fahrenheit 451).

I particularly liked the beginning. It was so strong, throwing us into the world and the absurd idea of producing people in a factory. (It's a very nice way to give us insight into the world we've just entered, with its ridiculous caste system). Unhappiness is cured in the society, but is it? (Is it not worse to be forbidden to feel depressed?) The start was very interesting, but especially the middle part worked not so well for me. The story seemed to drag a bit on that part. The ending again, was stronger.

Personally I liked Brave New World better than 1984. I would definitely recommend it. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
Strange little book; one of my favorite. ( )
  mariusgm | Sep 12, 2014 |
I know that this is a classic sci-fi and that nobody will care that I had to plod through it. I listened to a British version and it was dopey. I began to feel like I was listening to a Shirley Temple movie. Especially heinous was the brit accent on the New Mexican pueblo indian..."bay-ah" for "bear," e.g. I could see the New Mexico impact on his book as he must have spent some time here before the book was published in 1931. As for the predictions, I can begin to see them coming, but who would want to live in an environment like that? ( )
  buffalogr | Sep 3, 2014 |
It has remained for Aldous Huxley to build the Utopia to end Utopias-or such Utopias as go to mechanics for their inspiration, at any rate. He has satirized the imminent spiritual trustification of mankind, and has made rowdy and impertinent sport of the World State whose motto shall be Community, Identity, Stability.

Aldous Huxleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orras, I. H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snow, GeorgeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szentmihályi Szabó, PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Les utopies apparaissent bien plus réalisables qu'on ne le croyait autrefois. Et nous nous trouvons actuellement devant une question bien autrement angoissante : comment éviter leur réalisation définitive ?… Les utopies sont réalisables. La vie marche vers les utopies. Et peut-être un siècle nouveau commence-t-il, un siècle où les intellectuels et la classe cultivée rêveront aux moyens d'éviter les utopies et de retourner à une société non utopique moins 'parfaite' et plus libre.
(—Nicholas Berdiaeff)
A squat grey building of only thirty-four stories.
Unorthodoxy threatens more than the life of a mere individual; it strikes at Society itself.
..."What fun it would be," he thought, "if one didn't have to think about happiness!"
Brave New World is by Aldous Huxley. If you have H.G. Wells as the author of Brave New World, please correct your data. Thank you.

A fantasy of the future which sheds a blazing, critical light on the present - considered to be Aldous Huxley’s most enduring masterpiece.

Far in the future, the World Controllers have created the ideal society. Through clever use of genetic engineering, brainwashing and recreational sex and drugs all its members are happy consumers. Bernard Marx seems alone harbouring an ill-defined longing to break free. A visit to one of the few remaining Savage Reservations where the old, imperfect life still continues, may be the cure for his distress…

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060929871, Paperback)

"Community, Identity, Stability" is the motto of Aldous Huxley's utopian World State. Here everyone consumes daily grams of soma, to fight depression, babies are born in laboratories, and the most popular form of entertainment is a "Feelie," a movie that stimulates the senses of sight, hearing, and touch. Though there is no violence and everyone is provided for, Bernard Marx feels something is missing and senses his relationship with a young women has the potential to be much more than the confines of their existence allow. Huxley foreshadowed many of the practices and gadgets we take for granted today--let's hope the sterility and absence of individuality he predicted aren't yet to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:26 -0400)

A fantasy of the future that sheds a blazing critical light on the present--considered to be Aldous Huxley's most enduring masterpiece. Mr. Huxley is eloquent in his declaration of an artist's faith in man, and it is his eloquence, bitter in attack, noble in defense, that, when one has closed the book, one remembers. A Fantastic racy narrative, full of much excellent satire and literary horseplay. It is as sparkling, provocative, as brilliant, in the appropriate sense, as impressive ads the day it was published. This is in part because its prophetic voice has remained surprisingly contemporary, both in its particular forecasts and in its general tone of semiserious alarm. But it is much more because the book succeeds as a work of art. This is surely Huxley's best book.… (more)

Legacy Library: Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Aldous Huxley's legacy profile.

See Aldous Huxley's author page.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,335,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible