Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Brave New World (original 1932; edition 1998)

by Aldous Huxley

Member:JohnRulz
Title:Brave New World
Authors:Aldous Huxley
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (1998), Paperback, 268 pages
Rating:***

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (1932)

1984 by George Orwell (chrisharpe, zasmine, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling)
    zasmine: For Orwell was inspired by it. And Orwell's 1984 is as much of a prize as it.
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (phoenix7g, meggyweg, Babou_wk, haraldo)
    Babou_wk: Contre-utopie, société future où l'unique but de la vie est le bonheur. Toute pratique requérant de la réflexion est bannie.
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (MinaKelly)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (afyfe)
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, tehran)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    tehran: Brave New World was largely inspired by Zamyatin's We.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Both are benchmarks for dystopian literature.
    The Tempest by William Shakespeare (Sylak)
    Sylak: Caliban in The Tempest has many parallels with John the Savage in Brave New World.
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (sanddancer)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (mcenroeucsb)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (KayCliff)
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr, KayCliff)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one (well, you should read 1984, too, but you knew that already, didn't you?).
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (sturlington)
    Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (fundevogel)
    Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm (rat_in_a_cage)
    rat_in_a_cage: Hinweis auf Rückentext bei »Hier sangen früher Vögel«.
    Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut (Anonymous user)
    Stranger in a Strange Land (uncut edition) by Robert A. Heinlein (meggyweg)
    Love Among the Ruins by Evelyn Waugh (KayCliff)
    The Devils of Loudun by Aldous Huxley (John_Vaughan)
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (Mouseear)

1930s (2)

English (429)  Spanish (14)  French (7)  German (6)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (470)
It's a classic - I feel like I can't give any less that 5 stars for a book that's been so influential.

This month's post-apocalyptic book club selection (even though technically, it's dystopic, not apocalyptic). I dug it out of my crate of books-from-high school that my dad unexpectedly dropped off to me one day saying, "hey, these were in my basement."

I was surprised to find that I actually didn't remember as much of the book as I would've sworn that I did. I must've read it last over 20 years ago, and although there there bits that were clear, some I'd totally forgotten. Others in the book club admitted that they as well had done thing like confuse parts of '1984' with this book, in memory (seems like a lot of people read both back-to-back, initially!)

Definite differences this time around: I had to look at the politics more analytically. I kept finding myself saying: 'what exactly is Huxley saying here?' I didn't uncritically accept or agree with all of his presumptions or conclusions this time. I also found myself more sympathetic to Lenina in some ways than I was when I was a teenager.

It's interesting that in his introduction to the book (which I believe was written in 1946, 14 years after initial publication) Huxley disavows the dichotomy between the controlled, soma-addicted urban dwellers and his depiction of the 'primitives.' He said that he would've liked to show a third, 'sane' way of living... but that would've really destroyed the book and its focus completely.

Still, the strength of the book lies in its depiction of Huxley's dystopia, where people are in service to technology, literally engineered and conditioned to be content in their place, and the 'happy' majority bear a disturbing resemblance to jocks and sorority girls. The depiction of the primitive village is not nearly as strong, or as convincing. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
What is the price of stability? The loss of individuality? To sacrifice truth and beauty? To give up a family, God and even the possibility of romantic love?

Huxley paints a rather sinister dystopian future where rampant consumerism and the 'good of the community' trumps passion, families, science and even reading good books. The civilised world is in a perpetual, drug induced state of 'happiness'. Everyone is made to fit a particular mould; to know their place and to not deviate from their social conditioning. Into this world, Huxley introduces a Savage who has read Shakespeare, believes in God, loves his mother (scandalous!) and wishes be monogamous.

It is a thought provoking read. The arguments for this type of civilisation do actually make sense, but at what cost? No thank you. Send me to an island! ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
I remember finding the first chapter boring, the rest pretty good, and the end bewilderingly sad. I'm not sure what the author was trying to elicit, other than the empty feeling I felt towards the end. I'm not sure whether the empty feeling is a good thing, overall. Maybe I should reread it. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
En este libro visionario escrito en 1932, Aldous Huxley imagina una sociedad que utilizaría la genética y el clonaje para el condicionamiento y el control de los individuos. En esta sociedad futurista, todos los niños son concebidos en probetas. Ellos son genéticamente condicionados para pertenecer a una de las 5 categorías de población. De la más inteligente a la más estupida: les Alpha (la elite), los Betas (los ejecutantes), los Gammas (los empleados subalternos), los Deltas y los Epsilones (destinados a trabajos arduos). "El mundo feliz" describe también lo que seria una dictadura perfecta que tendría la apariencia de una democracia, una cárcel sin muros en el cual los prisioneros no sonarían en evadirse. Un sistema de esclavitud donde, gracias al sistema de consumo y el entretenimiento, los esclavos "tendrían el amor de su servitud".
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

It has remained for Aldous Huxley to build the Utopia to end Utopias-or such Utopias as go to mechanics for their inspiration, at any rate. He has satirized the imminent spiritual trustification of mankind, and has made rowdy and impertinent sport of the World State whose motto shall be Community, Identity, Stability.

Huxley, Aldousprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orras, I. H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snow, GeorgeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szentmihályi Szabó, PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Les utopies apparaissent bien plus réalisables qu'on ne le croyait autrefois. Et nous nous trouvons actuellement devant une question bien autrement angoissante : comment éviter leur réalisation définitive ?… Les utopies sont réalisables. La vie marche vers les utopies. Et peut-être un siècle nouveau commence-t-il, un siècle où les intellectuels et la classe cultivée rêveront aux moyens d'éviter les utopies et de retourner à une société non utopique moins 'parfaite' et plus libre.
(—Nicholas Berdiaeff)
A squat grey building of only thirty-four stories.
Unorthodoxy threatens more than the life of a mere individual; it strikes at Society itself.
..."What fun it would be," he thought, "if one didn't have to think about happiness!"
"I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin ... I'm claiming the right to be unhappy". "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen tomorrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." ... "I claim them all".
Brave New World is by Aldous Huxley. If you have H.G. Wells as the author of Brave New World, please correct your data. Thank you.

A fantasy of the future which sheds a blazing, critical light on the present - considered to be Aldous Huxley’s most enduring masterpiece.

Far in the future, the World Controllers have created the ideal society. Through clever use of genetic engineering, brainwashing and recreational sex and drugs all its members are happy consumers. Bernard Marx seems alone harbouring an ill-defined longing to break free. A visit to one of the few remaining Savage Reservations where the old, imperfect life still continues, may be the cure for his distress…

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060929871, Paperback)

"Community, Identity, Stability" is the motto of Aldous Huxley's utopian World State. Here everyone consumes daily grams of soma, to fight depression, babies are born in laboratories, and the most popular form of entertainment is a "Feelie," a movie that stimulates the senses of sight, hearing, and touch. Though there is no violence and everyone is provided for, Bernard Marx feels something is missing and senses his relationship with a young women has the potential to be much more than the confines of their existence allow. Huxley foreshadowed many of the practices and gadgets we take for granted today--let's hope the sterility and absence of individuality he predicted aren't yet to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:05 -0400)

A fantasy of the future that sheds a blazing critical light on the present--considered to be Aldous Huxley's most enduring masterpiece. Mr. Huxley is eloquent in his declaration of an artist's faith in man, and it is his eloquence, bitter in attack, noble in defense, that, when one has closed the book, one remembers. A Fantastic racy narrative, full of much excellent satire and literary horseplay. It is as sparkling, provocative, as brilliant, in the appropriate sense, as impressive ads the day it was published. This is in part because its prophetic voice has remained surprisingly contemporary, both in its particular forecasts and in its general tone of semiserious alarm. But it is much more because the book succeeds as a work of art. This is surely Huxley's best book.… (more)

Legacy Library: Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Aldous Huxley's legacy profile.

See Aldous Huxley's author page.

3 1956

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,264,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible