Triage by Jack Ketchum

Triage (original 2001; edition 2008)

by Jack Ketchum, Richard Laymon, Edward Lee

Info:
Collections:My books
Rating:**
Tags:unowned but read

Triage by Matt Johnson (Editor) (2001)

only read the Laymon story. It was okay if a fun and gruesome sort of way, but not required reading. I want to read the Ketchum tale in this someday, though. The Edward Lee story didn't spark my interest for some reason. ( )
  Evans-Light | Sep 30, 2013 |
Both novellas by Ed Lee and Richard Laymon are top-notch, the short story by Jack Ketchum though is just eh. ( )
  andy546 | Jan 9, 2013 |
Just "ok" is the best I can give this trilogy of novellas from 3 of horror's best and most prolific authors. The hook for this novel was to have each author start his story with the same beginning. In this case, it was a young woman who took a threatening call with the speaker proclaiming, "I'm gonna get you!".

Laymon's story was the best of the lot because it was so true to his style of writing. Quick, filled with action, heavy on gore and sexual connotations, and a satisfying ending. His fans won't be disappointed, but then again, won't find anything new with his story, "Triage".

Edward Lee's story, "In the Year of Our Lord: 2202", was the most unique of the trio. This story, the longest of the threesome by a wide margin, was certainly the one with the greatest departure from what was expected. Lee's story is sort of a "horror in outer space tale" that will please science fiction fans more than horror fans. I've not read a lot of Lee's work, but this certainly wasn't what I expected. It's not that it was a bad story, it's just that it didn't appeal to me and wasn't what I anticipated when I picked up the book.

Jack Ketchum's story was both the best written and most frustrating. It's the shortest of the three and for a while, I thought that Ketchum was just "phoning" it in. He really glossed over the unified beginning and set on to a depressing tale about one of his recurring characters, "Stroup". Great writing and an ending I didn't see coming saved the story for me.

Unfortunately, "Triage", promises more than it delivers, in my humble opinion. Fans of the three authors will want to give it a look, just don't expect too much. ( )
  coachtim30 | Jun 25, 2012 |
An interesting read. I especilly like reading Layman and Lee's stories because they began so similarly and then spun into two completely different directions. ( )
  lesleydawn | Dec 31, 2009 |
I enjoyed the Richard Laymon story. It was typical of the Laymon books that I've read so far with lots of killing and sexual stuff.

I did not like the story by Edward Lee and did not finish reading this one. His stuff is a little too sci-fi and weird for my taste. (Did I just say too weird for MY taste? Wow!) I've tried to read his stories in several collections that I've read and never have liked any of them. I did see the similarity between his story and Laymon's story, which was explained by the fact that they were originally writing one together.

I also enjoyed the Jack Ketchum story somewhat, but would have to say Laymon's was my favorite of the 3. I was not expecting Ketchum's story to end as it did, which was certainly an unexpected twist on the shared theme. ( )
  ladybug74 | Apr 1, 2009 |

Johnson, MattEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ketchum, JackContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Laymon, RichardContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, EdwardContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Ann & Kelly Laymon
"Lets go have hamburgers on a beach,
surrounded by mermaids flapping their wings."
John Hinckley, in a letter to Jodie Foster
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine:
but a broken spirit drieth the bones
proverbs 4:4
I make peace and create evil: I the Lord God do all these things.
Isaiah 45:7

Anthology conataining the folowing novellas:
Triage-Richard Laymon
In the Year of Our Lord 2202-Edward Lee
Sheep Meadow Story-Jack Ketchum

Three horror writers unite in this collection of interconnected novellas that each start with someone walking into a workplace with a gun, launching an odyssey into a nightmarish world of fear and madness.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,357,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible