Triage by Jack Ketchum

Triage (original 2001; edition 2008)

by Jack Ketchum, Richard Laymon, Edward Lee

Info:Leisure Books (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 310 pages
Collections:My books
Rating:**
Tags:unowned but read

Triage by Matt Johnson (Editor) (2001)

This was a fun book based on a fun idea. Each of the three novellas are based on the same idea: a mystery person comes to a workplace bent on destroying someone who had no idea why they were being targeted or even who the psycho was. Originally it was going to be a collaboration but due to circumstances and killer ideas, it morphed into a collection by the three authors instead. And as would be expected, the three novellas are awesome. And while similar, they are very different too. It was cool to flip back and forth between the stories and see exactly where and how they are different; that is until that major diverting point where nothing is similar anymore. This book is highly recommended!

"Triage" by Richard Laymon takes the concept and runs with it: basic office workers, set in today and go!
"In The Year of Our Lord: 2202" by Edward Lee moves the action into the future (I'll let you figure out what year). He builds an interesting future (not one that I would want to live in) and the story culminates in a point that I didn't really see coming. Not sure if it exactly fit but it was enjoyable.
"Sheep Meadow Story" by Jack Ketchum sort of cheats a bit because the required idea occurs in a dream and not the reality of the story but it sets the tone for the story which becomes more hard boiled noir than anything else. ( )
  dagon12 | Jul 12, 2016 |

only read the Laymon story. It was okay if a fun and gruesome sort of way, but not required reading. I want to read the Ketchum tale in this someday, though. The Edward Lee story didn't spark my interest for some reason. ( )
  Evans-Light | Sep 30, 2013 |
Both novellas by Ed Lee and Richard Laymon are top-notch, the short story by Jack Ketchum though is just eh. ( )
  andy546 | Jan 9, 2013 |
Just "ok" is the best I can give this trilogy of novellas from 3 of horror's best and most prolific authors. The hook for this novel was to have each author start his story with the same beginning. In this case, it was a young woman who took a threatening call with the speaker proclaiming, "I'm gonna get you!".

Laymon's story was the best of the lot because it was so true to his style of writing. Quick, filled with action, heavy on gore and sexual connotations, and a satisfying ending. His fans won't be disappointed, but then again, won't find anything new with his story, "Triage".

Edward Lee's story, "In the Year of Our Lord: 2202", was the most unique of the trio. This story, the longest of the threesome by a wide margin, was certainly the one with the greatest departure from what was expected. Lee's story is sort of a "horror in outer space tale" that will please science fiction fans more than horror fans. I've not read a lot of Lee's work, but this certainly wasn't what I expected. It's not that it was a bad story, it's just that it didn't appeal to me and wasn't what I anticipated when I picked up the book.

Jack Ketchum's story was both the best written and most frustrating. It's the shortest of the three and for a while, I thought that Ketchum was just "phoning" it in. He really glossed over the unified beginning and set on to a depressing tale about one of his recurring characters, "Stroup". Great writing and an ending I didn't see coming saved the story for me.

Unfortunately, "Triage", promises more than it delivers, in my humble opinion. Fans of the three authors will want to give it a look, just don't expect too much. ( )
  coachtim30 | Jun 25, 2012 |
An interesting read. I especilly like reading Layman and Lee's stories because they began so similarly and then spun into two completely different directions. ( )
  lesleydawn | Dec 31, 2009 |

Johnson, MattEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ketchum, Jackmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Laymon, Richardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, EdwardContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Ann & Kelly Laymon
"Lets go have hamburgers on a beach,
surrounded by mermaids flapping their wings."
John Hinckley, in a letter to Jodie Foster
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine:
but a broken spirit drieth the bones
proverbs 4:4
I make peace and create evil: I the Lord God do all these things.
Isaiah 45:7

Anthology conataining the folowing novellas:
Triage-Richard Laymon
In the Year of Our Lord 2202-Edward Lee
Sheep Meadow Story-Jack Ketchum

Three horror writers unite in this collection of interconnected novellas that each start with someone walking into a workplace with a gun, launching an odyssey into a nightmarish world of fear and madness.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,536,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible